Firearms not allowed into Canada

It's always good in a forum to keep in the back of your mind that most posts are in terms of "generally speaking.." There are always exceptions in nearly any given situation.

Sure.. there are a couple of caliber handguns that can take down a bear, but I don't know too many people that pack .500 S&W, 28mm Zaliska (or similar). So for 99.95% (arbitrary number.. but you get my drift) of U.S. citizens that own handguns, Jim's statement holds true. You're more likely to just make a bear angry than do any real damage. :P

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go take a Loooong look at likely the LARGEST GRIZ hide you will ever see at the Nimpo Lake Lodge, BC........the sign below the 'acre size hide" says that a Indian trapper woman brought the Griz down with EIGHT shots from a old .22 pump...........that was the only gun she had with her running her traps that day........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I live near Canada in the summer and cross often. In fact we spend 3 months every year in Canada on our boat.

Things have changed and if you take a long gun in Canada you have to buy a permit that costs $25 for each gun.

Prior to the permit requirement I have crossed into Canada several times in our motorhome carrying an automatic shot gun with no problem at all.

You can still hunt in Canada and many have auto loading rifles to use.

Here are a couple of things I have learned.

Do not say or imply you have your gun for personal protection from other individuals. Canada feels that is un necessary in their country and they may refuse you entry with a long gun if they think that is your purpose. Same reason you cannot take mace or pepper spray in Canada. That may also explain the reason some have been refused entry with a long gun.

Do not have any ammo for any type gun even if you don't have the gun. That is a no no. Except of course the gun you have a permit to transport.

If you do get a permit and carry a long gun, keep the ammo stored in a place away from the gun. Its their law.

Doug

I also believe the permit for a long gun is for 60days, after which it has to be renewed. But it has to be renewed in Canada. Not much help if you're well up into Alaska.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

In days gone by you could transport a handgun through Canada in route to and from Alaska. When the weapon was shown to be unloaded to the border staff it was placed in a heavy clear plastic bag and sealed (wire with a lead crimp) and given back to you. This is no longer the case however. Also and as pointed out there are many restrictions too on long guns and ammo. Check directly with Canadian authorities for current details.

Later,

J

PS Though my grandson and brother are both gunsmiths and FFL's shipping handguns is a PITA so we found the simplest solution was to augment our hardware with some state side holdings.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

We traveled to AK seven years ago. I read the Canadian firearms laws. Crossed into Canada below Banff. Told the LEO at border that we had a Marlin and a pump shotgun. He thought them a good choice. He printed the paperwork and we paid the fee. We were in AK longer than sixty days so we redid the drill coming back. Neither time did they check the firearms.

Several years later we went into New Brunswick and I had the paperwork from the trip to AK. “Sorry sir this is Eastern Canada and there are no Grizzlies, perhaps a cranky Chipmunk or Squirrel, you’ll have to turn around and go back to US, the hardware store in Calais has an FFL” It is apparently a common occurrence. So we shipped the firearms to our son in CO. We returned to the border and the same border official asked if we had pepper spray, and then does it have the picture of a bear on it. So, if it is weapon’s grade half liter pepper spray designed to stop a Grizzly, it is OK, but if it is a small bottle for self-defense, it is not.

A friend was career AK State Trooper and had to go down to Hyder. He enjoys the drive and wanted to take his sidearm. He figured that since he had worked closely with RCMP for a number of years, there would be no problem. He was told absolutely no way. He could ship it down or take a rifle/shotgun. He is still annoyed.

Have been told by a number of Canadians that southern plates get increased interest. We were “camped” next to a Canadian at at Forest Service CG near Lake Couer d’Alene. His daughter had once had a summer job at a border crossing greeting tourists. She automatically sent folks with southern plates to the LEOs for firearms inspection. She directed a Tennessean over to the LEOs and they asked “Sir, where’s the gun?” He gulped and said it was under the seat. It turned out to be a non-registered full auto Uzi. This is an automatic 2 years in Canada – and a much stiffer penalty in the US.

A single fired cartridge is jail time in Mexico or Belize.

Reed

personel protection is not a valid reason to use when applying for a firearm licence here in Australia either

and that's just for a long arm, if you want a pistol you have to jump through all sorts of hoops that I am not prepared to jump through, the trouble is a black market pistol runs from $2500- $5000 and then you don't know its history.

I am envious of right of citizens of the usa to access firearms of their choice.

mick

Thanks for the info, Reed. I've never tried to cross in Eastern Canada. West coast crossings have never given me much trouble. Pay the permit fee and we've been good to go. Handguns are taboo and long guns for "personal protection" are an absolute no no... Just a common sense thing in my mind.

Who needs personal protection from the locals anyway?? Good folk and a decent beer will gettcha a long way. :P

Why not just leave it in the lower 48 somewhere and get it when you get back...

And exactly where would you have a fulltimer leave a firearm? You can not put one in a safety deposit box, My friends are all in Texas and it would be a long drive from the northen border to Texas just to drop off my firearm, not to mention a long drive after returning to get it back. So, as I cruise along enjoying the full time lifestyle, and finally decide to make that dash across Canada to Alaska, where in the "lower 48" do you suggest I leave it?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil, it is definately a pain. Most people find a local FFL (near where they cross the border) to leave them with. And pickup on return. If you want to return to a different location then I think you will have to ship them to a TX FFL to get them back.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You can not put one in a safety deposit box

You can in many banks if they don't expressly state "firearms" in the prohibitive list. Most rental agreements just state "explosives". Unloaded, your handgun is considered an explosive. Worst case.. you bend the banks rules. I don't know how they would ever know, but the worst they can do is cancel your agreement and tell you to come pick up your toys. Granted though.. it's a little "grey". ;) Incredibly inexpensive though.

Phil, it is definately a pain. Most people find a local FFL (near where they cross the border) to leave them with.

Shipping them up and back down again between FFL's is MUCH more of a pita. But I couldn't see why leaving them stateside with an FFL wouldn't be fairly painless. That's a good idea!! My only personal hang-up with that would be if they required transferring them and re-registering back to you. I dunno, but it wouldn't suprise me if they did. I wonder how that would work since it's unlawful to transfer ownership to someone that doesn't reside in your domicile state. Interesting topic.

Renting a storage closet is an option as well. I generally do that with most of my long guns. No point in paying more permit fees on multiple long guns. I can only shoot one at a time. :P

While it can be a problem for those of us who keep one or more in our RVs, for most of us some advance planning will get us around the problem. We left ours with relatives which were several states away when we spent a summer next to the eastern part of the country so that we had ready access to the country and picked them back up in the fall as we traveled back to the south for winter. It can be a challenge, but is also worth the effort to most of us.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

FWIW, the KOA at St. Marys, MT.(call ahead to be sure) will store your firearm in their safe while you visit CA. The downside is, you must return to the same place.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Kirk,

I just solve the issue a different way, If my firearms aren't welcome, neither is my cash. I have plenty of places to see in these United States without going near Canada, Mexico or the Peoples Republik States. I prefer the free states that recognise the entire Constitution and the Bill of Rights. As far as Alaska is concerned, I will just fly there to see it or take a boat.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

And exactly where would you have a fulltimer leave a firearm? You can not put one in a safety deposit box, My friends are all in Texas and it would be a long drive from the northen border to Texas just to drop off my firearm, not to mention a long drive after returning to get it back. So, as I cruise along enjoying the full time lifestyle, and finally decide to make that dash across Canada to Alaska, where in the "lower 48" do you suggest I leave it?

I stored ours at Lewis & Clark Campground outside Shelby, MT. I had also called a few gun stores & they also had gun storage. So there's plenty of choices.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Kirk,

I just solve the issue a different way, If my firearms aren't welcome, neither is my cash. I have plenty of places to see in these United States without going near Canada, Mexico or the Peoples Republik States. I prefer the free states that recognise the entire Constitution and the Bill of Rights. As far as Alaska is concerned, I will just fly there to see it or take a boat.

I wish there was a "like" button......

Jim

Well GeorgiaHybrid.....you can take that attitude if you want but that limits you to only the US. You will never be able to travel to ANY other country in the world with your firearms.

On the other hand.....I cant bring my firearms into the US either....it goes both ways....but I'm intelligent enough and tolerant enough to recognise that our countries are friends and I am willing to abide by US laws when I am in the US. Are you willing to abide by Canadian laws?

We visit the US every winter and dont bring our guns.....we do bring our cash.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Their country their laws Comply with them or don't go there.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Well GeorgiaHybrid.....you can take that attitude if you want but that limits you to only the US. You will never be able to travel to ANY other country in the world with your firearms.

On the other hand.....I cant bring my firearms into the US either....it goes both ways....but I'm intelligent enough and tolerant enough to recognise that our countries are friends and I am willing to abide by US laws when I am in the US. Are you willing to abide by Canadian laws?

We visit the US every winter and dont bring our guns.....we do bring our cash.

I thought I was plain enough, I will not abide by Canadian laws and will never have to. I will stay in the USA or a country friendly to firearms...Don't feel bad, I don't spend any money in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Illinois, California or several others either. My money, my life, my choices.. There are several countries in the world that will allow me to bring in a handgun, semi-auto shotgun or semi-auto rifle into their country after the proper authorization.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Hmmmm. notice a pattern here? Hi crime, over regulated citizens, hi taxes, etc.......

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

There are a lot of countries friendly to firearms, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan. Syria, Any ISIS occupied zone.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

There are several countries in the world that will allow me to bring in a handgun, semi-auto shotgun or semi-auto rifle into their country after the proper authorization.

And so will Canada, so what are you complaining about?

There are a lot of countries friendly to firearms, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan. Syria, Any ISIS occupied zone.

LMAO...exactly :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

There are places south of the border near Vancouver, you can leave them. As for Mexico, the Tucson Skeet club will do it.

BTW anything over 18 inche barrel length is Ok in Canada. Don't even think of trying ot take a gun into Mexico. We will boot out anyone in one of our caravans caught with one.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

Archived