Is This The HDT RV Toter of the Future?

bockofma

I have been told of major changes to the "F" brand coming down the line. It will be an interesting 2017 in trucking!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Well......I guess they said heck it was easy to make almost any truck out-shift me so.......what the heck it will likely be easy to out-steer me .......and everyone knows the cruise & jake can out-brake me already so.........I guess get to ride along to buy the fuel and smear bugs on the windshield.........(guess the robot does not cam out the windshield)........... Ok so I just buy fuel........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I am sitting at an independent repair shop with a towing service. This gentlemen tells me he is making a killing picking up nearly new tractors and dragging them back to OEM dealers. There the wait is typically days before a tech can be scheduled to look at it, if he can really figure out what is wrong.

Before Freightliner or anyone else starts trying to sell me more and more "advanced" engineering, how about diverting some of those resources to the current reliability problems. In 40 years I have in the biz I have never seen the service end of this business been so totally overwhelmedby the twin problems of bug ridden new trucks and fleets trying to keep older stuff running.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I am sitting at an independent repair shop with a towing service. This gentlemen tells me he is making a killing picking up nearly new tractors and dragging them back to OEM dealers. There the wait is typically days before a tech can be scheduled to look at it, if he can really figure out what is wrong.

Before Freightliner or anyone else starts trying to sell me more and more "advanced" engineering, how about diverting some of those resources to the current reliability problems. In 40 years I have in the biz I have never seen the service end of this business been so totally overwhelmedby the twin problems of bug ridden new trucks and fleets trying to keep older stuff running.

I agree with you on all of that! Seems like there is only time to build the new project, but many manufacturers abandon the products the recently launched. In this case it's a product that an guy is dependent on making a living. The problem is compounded here in CA where the old iron is being forced to retire. I can't imagine being required to replace my perfectly good running truck that is paid for with one that gets horrible fuel economy and breaks down along with the $2-3000 payment. Then I assume like the modern LDT diesel's, the new truck's engine won't last as long as the old ones either.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I saw a piece on the news about this last night...

Only works on major highways, with driver having to take control to exit/enter Interstates, etc.

Driver has to stay in seat, as truck detects "bad things coming" touching off an alarm warning the driver to take over...

They are pushing it as less driver stress...

Hmmmm......I am not sure I agree with that...but certainly just my opinion.

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Folks;

It's time to smell the roses. The Tesla "base model" automobile has that option now! Driverless cars are arond the corner for all. On to trucks, 2017 will be the year things start getting better. The engines prior were all fill models. The EPA made each model obsolete basically every 2 years, so why invest in technology/longevity. Use those resources for the next generation of engines. 2017 will start the slow down of the hard line EPA standards as they will move to restrict something else...... (hint).

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Competent mechanics are not easy to find, either. My DW works at a school district and their lead mech retired last summer. He could do a major overhaul on every engine in the fleet, work on the transmissions, weld, and (with one helper) kept their 25-bus fleet going with no visits to any outside repair facility.

No one to replace him. At any price.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

No problem Wa-Rat,

Maybe the School District needs one of the "NextGen Trucks /busses that the Computer(s) will............Reboot.........and all will be well again.......... No mech needed.......

Us old geezers just are so.........old........

In my "Past-Life" in aviation, I was able to partake of many "Advanced Programs" and............somehow.........I am still alive........many of the "Programs" did not make it.............Yes , I got lucky a few times......

Progress is often a bumpy road.........

Cheerz

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived