Edge vs Internet Explorer

You all should know by now that I have serious worries about the security of Microsoft operating systems and, in particular, the use of Internet Explorer. Most of my security doubts revolve around backwards compatibility and legacy applications. Anything that closely supports legacy applications will also support legacy exploits.

The new Edge browser was originally introduced as "Spartan" and given some of the latest information I think that name might have been better; but in a good way. Because in Spartan MS has removed a lot of the legacy support that IE retained.

The word "Spartan" is, of course, linked to the idea of having less of something; a Spartan life would have few frills, for instance. And in this way Edge looks to be far more secure than Internet Explorer because MS has given up a lot of the things in Edge that made Internet Explorer so insecure.

The article does not mention IE's close ties to the registry but I would be surprised if they had included that feature in Spartan.

Here is the piece. Pretty interesting.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2918254/five-ways-edge-trumps-internet-explorer.html?phint=newt%3Ditworld_enterprise_applications&phint=idg_eid%3Dafbdce93df1132e5de07d306edf23bac#tk.ITWNLE_nlt_enterprise_apps_2015-05-06

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Good article!

Thanks.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I wonder if Last Pass and similar add-ons will work with Edge??? I would hope so because I do not welcome the need to change to a different PW management S/W.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

I wonder if Last Pass and similar add-ons will work with Edge??? I would hope so because I do not welcome the need to change to a different PW management S/W.

No way to know for sure but I would expect them to. They're saying that Edge will even be able to run some of the Chrome and Firefox extensions.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived