Hdt registration in BC

rdickinson

I found the above information as well with the heavy trailer pulled by a truck with air brakes require a class 1.

My concern is if you have an accident and don't have the proper licence can your insurance be void? Now imagine someone gets killed an no insurance!!!!

Also asked myself the same question when I was pulling overweight with my 1 ton, have an accident and find that insurance now will not cover you because you are traveling illegal. This is the reason I went HDT.

I have a class 1 and the only thing different than the class 5 is your medical exam and a few $$ more. Cant remember might be $40 more which the renewal and some medicals can be $80. That is cheap peace of mind for every 5 year cost.

There should be a license class for heavy RV, I don't think it is right that some 70+ years can drive a 40 foot or bigger motorhome with air assist brakes on just a regular class 5 license. I have seen many bad RV drivers out there including my father in law. He went out 2 times in a year and both times I had to replace my mailbox, he did not even know he hit it. When he went out I stayed home until he was well gone.

Thank you to Curt for the location of the insurance agent that managed to get my HDT insured as a private pickup. Once the papers are done the first time the next agent can just renew them. I tried 3 agents before and none could find the right codes to enter into the forms to make it work, Thanks Curt. ( also thanks for the test ride that changed my wives mind of going to an HDT it worked :rolleyes: )

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

A tip for insurance is to insure the truck to its real value as well as insure to the weight you require not what they sell you. Scale you rig and find out the weight of the truck fully loaded to travel. For non commercial you insure only for the weight of the truck not the complete rig as in commercial use.

They can only insure your weight as low as 1.5 time the weight of the truck as registered If you singled the truck it now weighs a lot less, get an empty truck certified scale weight ticket and you can then insure to the lower weight. If you never carry a lot of weight why pay the extra insurance on the rig, get on the scales and find out you actually axel weights costs usually $10.

Insurance for the trucks is based on the year, declared value and weight you licence for. Just a small bit of advice is if you try to save on insurance and value the truck really low that is all you will get paid if the truck is in a major wreck. The reverse works for them , insure with a high value and ICBC will only pay the bluebook value based on milage and condition of the vehicle plus what ever recent major receipts you may have for improvements.

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

I found the above information as well with the heavy trailer pulled by a truck with air brakes require a class 1.

My concern is if you have an accident and don't have the proper licence can your insurance be void? Now imagine someone gets killed an no insurance!!!!

Also asked myself the same question when I was pulling overweight with my 1 ton, have an accident and find that insurance now will not cover you because you are traveling illegal. This is the reason I went HDT.

I have a class 1 and the only thing different than the class 5 is your medical exam and a few $$ more. Cant remember might be $40 more which the renewal and some medicals can be $80. That is cheap peace of mind for every 5 year cost.

There should be a license class for heavy RV, I don't think it is right that some 70+ years can drive a 40 foot or bigger motorhome with air assist brakes on just a regular class 5 license. I have seen many bad RV drivers out there including my father in law. He went out 2 times in a year and both times I had to replace my mailbox, he did not even know he hit it. When he went out I stayed home until he was well gone.

Thank you to Curt for the location of the insurance agent that managed to get my HDT insured as a private pickup. Once the papers are done the first time the next agent can just renew them. I tried 3 agents before and none could find the right codes to enter into the forms to make it work, Thanks Curt. ( also thanks for the test ride that changed my wives mind of going to an HDT it worked :rolleyes: )

For sure - it was my pleasure and I am glad everything worked out for you.

I am just getting our truck back on the road. It has been sitting in my driveway for the last 2 years since our trailer has been parked at the lake. At the end of the summer, we will be bringing the trailer home and next year we have plans to tour the United States.

Thanks for the advice on the weight. I am almost positive she asked me what my total weight would be (truck and trailer) and that is SUBSTANTIALLY more then just the truck fully empty. I will take the truck down to the scale and get some accurate weights.

I hope you guys are having a lot fun on your journeys.

C

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Archived