Hdt registration in BC

rdickinson

Am in the process of switching everything over to BC. Insurance on truck, trailer and Smart are done as is registration for trailer and Smart. Truck still needs to be done.

In AB, regular class 5 and an air endorsement is all that is needed. A couple of years ago someone from the Commercial vehicle inspection bunch in BC said what I had was Ok but needed a heavy trailer endorsement, now I'm told by someone else a Commercial licence is needed. But he wasn't sure.

With these rigs not being common especially on Vancouver Island there may not be a clear rule and may be subject to interpretation and go in the wrong direction for me.

Without raising any red flags and causing myself unnecessary grief with these people, if anyone has gone this route? How or what was done?

Thanks

Hey Roger.

I live in the lower mainland and here is what I was told - I was told this when taking my air endorsement course (they even said the rules are not clear and are changing).

You first must have your air endorsement which you already have - obviously. Then you if your trailer is over 10K lbs (which pretty much anything is) you are supposed to go either 1 of 2 routes - either get your heavy trailer endorsement ... which involves taking your truck and trailer to a motor vehicle branch and doing a road test with them both OR you need to get your class 1 drivers license. If you like, I don't mind calling my local MV branch and asking them to get what their thoughts are - we have one quite close.

I recently got my truck insured through ICBC (last week) and I was not asked any questions at all about either having my heavy trailer endorsement OR having a class 1. The insured both my truck and and my trailer with no questions asked.

I personally do not have either my heavy trailer nor my class 1. I have never been asked nor stopped!

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Curt, thanks,

It seems we both have the same information re air, heavy trailer etc. Last week, the CVSE inspector at the Kal Tire stumbled through 200 odd glossy pages of info but was not able to find what he was looking for. I just don't want to open up a can of worms or cause myself unnecessary grief.

He mentioned motorhomes had an exemption, but wasn't sure about that either. If things were to go smoothly in Vancouver, It may be worth my while to hop on the ferry and get it done there unless they need to see the unit.

My insurance guy isn't much help, he has never seen anything like this.

Let me know, thanks

Curt, thanks,

It seems we both have the same information re air, heavy trailer etc. Last week, the CVSE inspector at the Kal Tire stumbled through 200 odd glossy pages of info but was not able to find what he was looking for. I just don't want to open up a can of worms or cause myself unnecessary grief.

He mentioned motorhomes had an exemption, but wasn't sure about that either. If things were to go smoothly in Vancouver, It may be worth my while to hop on the ferry and get it done there unless they need to see the unit.

My insurance guy isn't much help, he has never seen anything like this.

Let me know, thanks

Well, if you are looking for someone in the insurance industry who can do your truck - I got someone :). It isn't cheap though - it cost me about $1,000 for six months - via ICBC (can't get private). I can easily put you in touch with her - the first time she did it - it took her several calls to ICBC but now ... they "know the deal". She is here in the Fraser Valley - I can do an intro.

By the way, I do not have either the heavy trailer or class 1. Although I am currently studying for my Class 1 ... I want to do it for more of an 'interest' thing. Both seem about the same amount of 'work' so I thought I might just have the class 1.

Curt

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Recommend caution in going Class 1 license. You need to go in with your eyes open, as it can affect your life in unexpected, complicating ways. Do your research before jumping in. Just a heads up. British Columbia has no requirement for CDL to HDT RV, which is what a Class 1 is.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Roger,

The couple that bought my 2008 Freightliner Sport Chassis went through this last year. Maybe drop them a PM through the forum Don & Judith. Also, I would think if you are already registered in Alberta as a "Motorhome" this should make things easier in BC. I do know the heavy trailer endorsement is needed in BC. I agree with you Darryl...would never go down that road if not required.

If the class 1 is not needed, no sense getting it. It may cause issues down the line.

I don't believe I was insured in AB as a Motorhome but will confirm with Aviva today. It may help others in AB to know.

Curt, I will check on the insurance I purchased and it was thru ICBC and let you know. I do know it was not anywhere as expensive as 1k every 6 months and that is with2m liability upgradeable to 5m for trips in the US if needed.

This same firm will insure or get insurance for the trailer to reflect replacement value of something comparable to mine with all the upgrades, and there have been a lot. Including suspension, electric awning, decals,carpet, commercial vinyl tiles in kitchen, cork floor in bathroom, ridiculously expensive retro 50's residential fridge, inverter/charger , new bank of batteries. +++.

Health insurance can also be provided by this firm for quick trips or multiple short trips or one biggie, whatever I want and it doesn't break the bank.

The CVSE gent who mentioned the heavy trailer endorsement was in Alberni. I should try to track him down thru Berks Intertruck....He thought there would be no issues and may be the path of least resistance.

It may be worthwhile to deal with these things out of Victoria if needed.

Thanks

Just got off the phone with insurance firm. I do have insurance and registration. ICBC does both. What is needed is a BC licence, obviously and an air endorsement and heavy trailer endorsement...Knew that as well but will speak to others before jumping in with both feet.

Curt, I can send you info on local insurance firm who may be able to provide insurance for less. Evidently there are 16 regions in BC and prices vary between locations. Victoria is cheapest, Vancouver is quite a bit more and everything else is in between.

Just got off the phone with insurance firm. I do have insurance and registration. ICBC does both. What is needed is a BC licence, obviously and an air endorsement and heavy trailer endorsement...Knew that as well but will speak to others before jumping in with both feet.

Curt, I can send you info on local insurance firm who may be able to provide insurance for less. Evidently there are 16 regions in BC and prices vary between locations. Victoria is cheapest, Vancouver is quite a bit more and everything else is in between.

That would be awesome Roger. I hate having to pay that much - it really sucks. I am technically located in the GVRD (Vancouver) - which I suspect kills me for insurance ... but if I can save $$$ by a simple phone call - that would be great! PM me if you want.

I have not actually gone down the road yet in regards to getting my Class 1 - from what I am hearing maybe just go get my heavy trailer endorsement would be a lot easier and "safer".

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

I'm not saying the CDL is wrong,or bad, but go in with your eyes open. It has ramifications way beyond RV duty. If you understand the reach it has into the rest of your life,driving or otherwise, the training you'd get is worthwhile.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Just went to tank up the Smart and figured I'd go to Licensing on a fact finding mission. Seeing as I am a prior resident of BC, I get my old # back. When asked about the Q or air endorsement, it comes with me. In BC it is category 15 rather than Q. No test required.

Re the vision test, last year on one of my Med courses the Dr doing the eye test said my eyes were fine. She said take glasses off a few minutes before the eye test to let the eyes adjust. So I did and did the test. Glasses are not required on my license.

The lady at licensing also asked about ht, wt, color of eyes. Ht is shrinking due to age and the fall, wt is up 5 lbs from 2o yrs ago, so that's not bad, eyes are still the same color and hair. I took off my hat and said "you tell me,, white or blonde", her response was half and half so we will leave it for now.

They need my Passport or Birth Certificate or Citizenship for ID so this afternoon warrants another trip with Passport.

That takes care of the BC switch and Air endorsement.

Re the Heavy Trailer endorsement, I will be given a book to bone up on the bring the trailer in and do some kind of test.

The most stressful part of the whole deal was getting out of the parking lot unhurt due to the herd of young and non Hinglish speaking people from the Netherworld embarking on the great quest, " their drivers exam"

Curt, PM sent with Tom's contact info. Maxxam insurance. He knows of your situation but mention my name....no I don't get as kickback.

I got RickS's truck last year. I needed to get a safety inspection on the truck before I could get insurance. Word of advice for heavy trailer pre trip test... VERY PICKY!! they will tell you to think of the truck and trailer are new to you. Study the pretrip inspection very well, and remember to verbally check all your gauges, mirrors etc. I also needed to stop by a muninciple hall and get a commercial tag.

Due to the size and Height of the truck, it's considered commercial.(got a ticket while parked downtown because I didn't have one)

Good luck

2008 Freightliner M2 Sportchassis

2015 Redwood 38RL

As our M2 was registered as a heavy duty pickup, the insurance people didn't know we needed the sticker.

I just brought my insurancepapers to munincipal hall and showed them of the ticket I got, and asked for a commercial tag. Costs around $40. Good for all of BC. I found it odd that I got the ticket as I had a bike rack and bikes on the receiver. But as I said earlier, due to height,weight and size, munincipallities call it commercial. Hope this helps ya

2008 Freightliner M2 Sportchassis

2015 Redwood 38RL

Just went to tank up the Smart and figured I'd go to Licensing on a fact finding mission. Seeing as I am a prior resident of BC, I get my old # back. When asked about the Q or air endorsement, it comes with me. In BC it is category 15 rather than Q. No test required.

Re the vision test, last year on one of my Med courses the Dr doing the eye test said my eyes were fine. She said take glasses off a few minutes before the eye test to let the eyes adjust. So I did and did the test. Glasses are not required on my license.

The lady at licensing also asked about ht, wt, color of eyes. Ht is shrinking due to age and the fall, wt is up 5 lbs from 2o yrs ago, so that's not bad, eyes are still the same color and hair. I took off my hat and said "you tell me,, white or blonde", her response was half and half so we will leave it for now.

They need my Passport or Birth Certificate or Citizenship for ID so this afternoon warrants another trip with Passport.

That takes care of the BC switch and Air endorsement.

Re the Heavy Trailer endorsement, I will be given a book to bone up on the bring the trailer in and do some kind of test.

The most stressful part of the whole deal was getting out of the parking lot unhurt due to the herd of young and non Hinglish speaking people from the Netherworld embarking on the great quest, " their drivers exam"

Curt, PM sent with Tom's contact info. Maxxam insurance. He knows of your situation but mention my name....no I don't get as kickback.

Thanks Rick - I have given him a call :).

I will get that book as well!

Thanks again for the help.

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Dont understand the problem of having a class 1 licence. I have had one for 35 years. What is the concern re: HDT rv's?

Lloyd, would you recommend a CDL for every one of the board members? I agree that a 6 hour air brake course shouldn't allow me to drive close to 45000 lbs with a pick-up license, but I don't see the justification for increased medical inspections, more restrictive alcohol rules, or the insurance agents eyes lighting up.

1418684403469.jpg

I may be showing my red neck, but if the government is happy leaving me the hell alone, I'm Ok with that.

Please e-mail us here.

I got RickS's truck last year. I needed to get a safety inspection on the truck before I could get insurance. Word of advice for heavy trailer pre trip test... VERY PICKY!! they will tell you to think of the truck and trailer are new to you. Study the pretrip inspection very well, and remember to verbally check all your gauges, mirrors etc. I also needed to stop by a muninciple hall and get a commercial tag.

Due to the size and Height of the truck, it's considered commercial.(got a ticket while parked downtown because I didn't have one)

Good luck

Thanks for the advice Don.

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

From ICBC's website, "If you want to tow an RV that weighs more than 4,600 kg and either the recreational trailer or your truck has air brakes, you need a Class 1 driver’s licence with an air brake endorsement."

Not sure how old that is or if it's changed. Found it previously when I was in between provinces, deciding where to end up.

2007 Volvo 880

2014 Palomino Sabre 36qbok

I decided to get some coaching on the license end of things. Fortunately the firm up Island has done the only one in the area a few years ago. I can get a Class 1 but it has restrictions. I think it allows me to drive my Rig but nothing else. This rating was designed specifically for this situation.

I will find out more today or over the next couple of days. Practice is on the 19'th, test may be the day or so after and also ask him for pointers.

I decided to get some coaching on the license end of things. Fortunately the firm up Island has done the only one in the area a few years ago. I can get a Class 1 but it has restrictions. I think it allows me to drive my Rig but nothing else. This rating was designed specifically for this situation.

I will find out more today or over the next couple of days. Practice is on the 19'th, test may be the day or so after and also ask him for pointers.

So Roger - what are you going to be getting then ... your heavy trailer endorsement or ?

Also, talked to Tom - thanks for the lead on that. He wasn't able to save me any $$$ as where I live is the highest rate class in BC :(

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Looks like we are shooting for a modified class 1...a Magic License. I will let you know when it gets nailed down.

Sorry about the insurance, where do you live?? Lower Mainland?

A modified class 1 - I would be ALL OVER THAT! Please keep me informed on that one - as I have never heard of it.

Yup, live about 35 min. from downtown Vancouver!

C

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Archived