12 volt charge line from HDT to RV

On The Road

Yes, #6 will likely be enough. Especially if you do a high voltage system. If you do a low voltage system, and it is very large then the #6 may be a little light. It all "depends".....But there is no real problem designing around #6.

Thanks Jack,

I will send you an email with what I "Think" I would like to have, Thanks for the offer to help design

">9ed2381e-e012-485f-924a-b1f342a69abc.jpg

2001 610 Volvo -Volvo power 465HP/1650 -autoshift
2009 Smart Passion / cross loaded on Volvo
2014.5 Mobile Suite 41 RSSB4

VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN BUILDERS

One thing to foks might want to keep in mind..........as you "upgrade" to larger (6 ga) and LARGER (welder cables) DC power has a nasty habit of becoming a WELDER when ever a large cable becomes grounded.

I have always been amazed that DC power cables seem to not be able to carry the power that you want them to carry....... UNTIL they become grounded.......then once grounded as a dead short these cables sure carry enough power to get the fire & smoke in action......

Fuses are a pain at times .......BUT, sometimes BLOWN FUSES are a good thing........Don't forget to fuse these large lines........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Yes, I often use the umbilical cord to power the tire pressure monitor or some interior lights while the truck batteries are disconnected.

2004 Peterbilt 385

2004 New Horizon 41 foot fiver

One Trek for chores and one for fun

I was checking the wiring on my Volvo 610 which I am using a Jackalopee. I have the 12VDC needed to charge the RV batteries hooked up on option one which is BLU 12v AUX line pluged in to the +12V direct which gives me 12V going to the trailer with the switch key on. I am getting the correct voltage at the rear plug on the truck which is about 13.6 with truck running. If my rv batteries are showing 12.6 when I plug in to trailer, it does not seam to raise this any. I checked the trailer plug and correct 12V in the trailer plug is going to the batteries. How many amp charge should I get to the trailer, I have 4 6V batteries on the trailer and a 2800 watt inverter, also a residential fridge. Is their a better way to wire the Jackalopee like option two or option three so I can get more amps to the trailer batteries? Should I ever be able to bring the trailer voltage on the batteries to what I am showing on the truck batteries? The only thing running off the trailer batteries is the inverter which is only powering the fridge.

You have a "serious" battery bank in your fifth and charging it from the "+12 AUX" circuit (blue wire) probably amounts to no more than a trickle charge. Particularly combined with the distance involved and the gauges of wires involved over that distance. At the minimum I would try option two or three on the Jackalopee using 10 gauge wire from the batteries to the Jackalopee to see if you get more "action" at the battery bank and that's a pretty inexpensive alternative. If this doesn't improve things significantly, then you have gotten plenty of good advise from other posters up to this point.

You have a "serious" battery bank in your fifth and charging it from the "+12 AUX" circuit (blue wire) probably amounts to no more than a trickle charge. Particularly combined with the distance involved and the gauges of wires involved over that distance. At the minimum I would try option two or three on the Jackalopee using 10 gauge wire from the batteries to the Jackalopee to see if you get more "action" at the battery bank and that's a pretty inexpensive alternative. If this doesn't improve things significantly, then you have gotten plenty of good advise from other posters up to this point.

Thanks Phoenix,

I can do either 2 or 3. Which, in your opinion, would be the best?

">9ed2381e-e012-485f-924a-b1f342a69abc.jpg

2001 610 Volvo -Volvo power 465HP/1650 -autoshift
2009 Smart Passion / cross loaded on Volvo
2014.5 Mobile Suite 41 RSSB4

VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN BUILDERS

The relay is rated for 40 Amps switching and 60 Amps direct. 10 gauge wire is rated for 30 Amps, 8 gauge wire is rated for 50 Amps. The yellow push on terminals go up to 12-10 gauge wire, you can insert an 8 gauge wire into these if you trim few strands off before crimping. The outgoing wire will be either 10 or 12 gauge depending on the type or RV cable you buy. You want to help the current as much as you can, so even if only portion of it is higher gauge (incoming run) it makes a difference with voltage drops and current flow. The AUX line is quite limited in current (I believe 20 Amps depending on the truck) since it was designed to be used to power ABS modules in the trailer and maybe some cargo area lights

Take a look at installing a Trail Charger in the trailer. They are made to solve just this voltage drop & charging problem. The 20A unit will plug right into the AUX circuit and most existing (commercial) trailer wiring and is by far the most common. The 50A big guy usually requires a dual pole trailer cable & connections and its own dedicated wiring so it might be more of a pain than it is worth.

Very sweet, Scrap! You have the coolest stuff to play with. I need to get a job like yours. ;)

It would not take much to get the 50 going....A couple of Anderson connectors and some #4 wire would probably be all you would need, although if I was bothering I'd probably just run #2. I'd be concerned with protecting the alternator, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived