First trip and headed north - all the way north

winningteam

2 Gypsies, which route from Hope? Up the Canyon or the Coke to Merritt.

On edit, Winningteam,

Are you a member of Good Sam or AMA? They or possibly others like them provide trip routing. The things I'd be looking for are road conditions an

d construction delays.

The shortest way may not be the quickest.

Too bad we don't have something like Pireps. Pilots flying a route give an updated report on weather on route just flown.

I'd recommend from Hope taking 97 north to Price George and staying on 97 to Dawson Creek and the beginning of the Alaskan Hwy.

Return from your trip via Hwy 37 (Cassier Hwy).

There really isn't any mountain driving on any of this - just ups and downs. :) Easily done.

I'm not understanding your statement of 'construction all the way up'. We know folks driving both ways right now.

X2.

As far as construction is concerned, there will always be construction on the Alaska (and Cassiar) Highways since summer is the only time they have to do road work. However, to classify it as "construction all the way up" is not accurate...there will be long stretches where there is no construction.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Roger, from Hope we took the canyon route toward Lytton. - a pretty drive.

Yes, you will encounter construction along the whole trip - in small sections. It's just like the lower 48 does its construction. Roads always need some attention. It's nothing to worry about. Just go slow through those areas. Some folks try to drive fast on gravel and that's when the damage occurs. We didn't received any damage to the motorhome or the toad and we didn't do any elaborate precautions. We did, however, replace all of our tires but they were close to needing them anyway. It was a easy, pleasant trip for us.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

That stretch is one of my favourites, a capsule in time. Between Cache creek and Steelhead rv park toward Savona the sluice for water built a hundred years ago still has some sections intact. Steelhead and Cypress RV Parks on that stretch are the only 2 in BC with power...I think.

I never tire of that stretch...lotsa fruit stands.

There is a lookout point at the top of the hill just west of Savona, fantastic view of the lake.

We came up through Bamff NP and the Icefield Highway to Jasper North on 40 to Grand Prairie then 43 to Dawson Creek the roads have been good and also from Dawson Creek to Destruction Bay flagged areas but not teeth rattling. But from Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek, slow is the only way to go several gravel areas one 12 miles or 18 kilometers, your choice, and another couple of lessor mileage. Humps and bumps galore.

Plenty of Woods bison, bears, including a grizzly, Caribou, Stone sheep, a wolf, Eagles, Moose, a snowshoe hare, I assume because it still had white ears and feet.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

Archived