A semi trailer ("5th wheel") for tight access

noteven

Does it drive itself or is there a joy stick?

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If you are building up the trailer structure from scratch (and not repurposing an existing trailer), I'd recommend that you use some variant of conventional RV axle placement. Unless you have a specific load-carrying reason not to. It is way more flexible if you are going into RV parks.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The technology is awesome, and has been around for some time. However, as Jack may or may not have eluded to, rear overhang in a setup like that, is a limiting factor. Forward placed, or even, currently available sliding tandems, would be a more versatile unit as an rv if any length is preferred.

Still, the video is cool and shows what can be done in a vocational application of such technology. Some of the log pole trailers, at least the extra length carriers here on the west coast, have a percentage proportioning steering system. It works awesome, and is fun to watch in use.

I'm a work'n on it.

Seems to me older fire trucks had a driver in the back for navigating city streets. . Maybe a good place for an unruly passenger that likes to drive from the passenger seat.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I haven't researched just how they work yet -

The daydreaming stems from thinking about a trailer that is not so high in the air - our Carriage is 13 + feet - with a kind of dropped area in the middle like a coach - simple, rugged, heavy duty, long lasting... less bling and simpler and more substance in the interior fittings etc - maybe kind of boat / upper end coach principles

Very much at the doodle and notes stage.

After a nice motorcycle ride I usually come to my senses :lol:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

That could be handy if you could steer the trailer axles for backing up, long trailers could be put into very tight spots

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

I guess their is someone who is willing to double the price and maintenance cost of a trailer for this capability. I was waiting for them to stop for a couple of minutes a fill one or two of the parked cars with concrete, or maybe oatmeal.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived