A semi trailer ("5th wheel") for tight access

noteven

If you are building up the trailer structure from scratch (and not repurposing an existing trailer), I'd recommend that you use some variant of conventional RV axle placement. Unless you have a specific load-carrying reason not to. It is way more flexible if you are going into RV parks.

The technology is awesome, and has been around for some time. However, as Jack may or may not have eluded to, rear overhang in a setup like that, is a limiting factor. Forward placed, or even, currently available sliding tandems, would be a more versatile unit as an rv if any length is preferred.

Still, the video is cool and shows what can be done in a vocational application of such technology. Some of the log pole trailers, at least the extra length carriers here on the west coast, have a percentage proportioning steering system. It works awesome, and is fun to watch in use.

I haven't researched just how they work yet -

The daydreaming stems from thinking about a trailer that is not so high in the air - our Carriage is 13 + feet - with a kind of dropped area in the middle like a coach - simple, rugged, heavy duty, long lasting... less bling and simpler and more substance in the interior fittings etc - maybe kind of boat / upper end coach principles

Very much at the doodle and notes stage.

After a nice motorcycle ride I usually come to my senses :lol:

I guess their is someone who is willing to double the price and maintenance cost of a trailer for this capability. I was waiting for them to stop for a couple of minutes a fill one or two of the parked cars with concrete, or maybe oatmeal.

Archived