air bag angle

PEIFamily

Is this the normal way the bags should be sitting at the top? (bags are sitting level at right height and had 14psi in the bags at this time) Looks very lopsided to me, but no way that I can see to straighten it better.. Is this normal?

airbags_zpsmqlhbtqp.jpg

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Doesn't look normal, or factory. There's a couple of bolts that thread into the top plate, sandwiching the mounting surface. I don't see them in your pic. I'll wait for a Volvo owner to chime in, but it looks like someone's been playing in there.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking.. it wasn't normal.

The rear axle was left in place, but the front axle Z springs were put on there. The top of the air bag mount has 2 sliding bolt holes and one center hole. Its in the center hole. But if I moved it to the other front sliding bolt hole, it looks like it would be touching the back of the shock. It may help some, but not much. The bottom is bolted to the Z spring and no room for adjustment there.

Just another screwup at that nightmare shop. They should have caught that during assembly.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

• 2 weeks later...

I need to have these installed also, what ball park cost installed? Camping World quoted 1000$ which sounded high to me. You response will be appreciated.

The Z springs? It should be only about a 2-4 hr job to swap them out.

Or the Air bags? Only about 2 bolts for each one and an air fitting. If you have no bed on, shouldn't take any longer then a hour a side.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Unlike the air "helper" springs that can be installed on a pickup, manual inflation of the air springs would definitely fall into the "No bueno!" category.

With air helper springs, all you're doing is leveling the back of the truck. The axle position is controlled by the truck's "original" suspension.

On an HDT air suspension, leveling is actually the secondary consideration. Correct inflation of the bags for the weight borne by the suspension at any given time maintains the correct driveline angles, which can't deviate much from the ideal without inducing driveline vibration at best, and component failures at worst. That's why there is always a leveling valve designed into the system.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived