Where are the BEST & WORST military famcamps, and why?

The Few

Will be traveling the Great U.S.A someday, and wanted opinions and experiences of some of your best and worst military Famcamp locations and experiences..

I have seen a few on you tube, but nothing beats getting information from an able body!!

Anyone have any suggestions??

The Few

Check this out.......http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

Lots of good reviews.....

Thank you for your advice, and I have been on the website... most of these websites are biased, and don't really give you the pro and cons like an " able mind" would/should/could.. I'm a bit frustrated with reading articles on how certain famcamps are the best or greatest, I want to hear it from someone that has actually been there, done that..

BTW, Your truck/rig is exactly what I am pursuing, so your input is also very important to me.. Are you active duty or retired military?? If so, what good information do you have for me sir???

The Few

We have been at both kinds and have found the above mentioned website opinions pretty accurate. However we stay only if they are on our route. Never go out of our way just to use them. Follow the directions on the website as your GPs can take you to a gate you can't access a rig thru.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I have to agree.... I too have found the reviews "very" honest. I have stayed at many of our FamCamps along my travels both short and long term stays and have found most of them pretty nice. As always each will have their own experience.

We've stayed at a lot of them from Barksdale AFB west to the coast and all along I-40, I-20, I-10 & 8, as well as all in Alaska. I've also found that guide to be accurate. If it does not cover something you might ask that specific question here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We've used the military campgrounds sites for years also. The directions can save your butt sometimes. Like Lackland or Wright Pat for example.

Worst Famcamp ever??? Andrews AFB... Best Mayport DMAFB is great as is the Cheatham Annex.

BTW, the military campgrounds site is privately owned and I don't think he would allow any B.S...

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

One person's best could be another's worst. Read the reviews and decide which are applicable to you.

Thank you for your input Aprilwhine,

but I would rather listen and hear it personally, because I can get more feedback..

The Few

Best for views? Management? Enforcement of leash rules? Size of campsites? Near a certain destination? Nicest looking facilities and campsites? WiFi? Access? Access to ocean or lake? Dog walks? Library and lounge with computers? Condition of hookups? Best isolation from noise tank, gun, aircraft, testing facilities? Best boating/fishing rentals/Charters, fish cleaning and freezing facilities? What?

In other words ask about each one you are interested in and I'm sure you'll get a flood of answers. For example we love Fiddler's Cove next to the SEALS trying center for the views of the bay and yachts at mooring. Yet a ten minute walk across the Strand and the Pacific beaches are great. But when we were there they just has water and electric at the sites. You had to break camp to go dump. But they have very nice sail boat etc. rentals right there. For some the lack of a sewer at each site was a showstopper.

We hated Nellis. If they still have those sites around a circle, and you have a large fiver rig, don't accept one. The staff was rude in 1999 last time we were there.

See, some of our issues may have been resolved by personnel changes and new construction. We have been off the road longer than the 7 years we fulltime. We could only speak to geography and that was then, this is now.

Do what we did. Stop at every famcamp, regardless of branch, along or near your route. Between Escapees parks and coops, and famcamps we rarely needed others more than about a third of the time. Alaska was half and half.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

See, RV, just to prove your point.... we loved Nellis, even with a large, backed-in 5er. (LOL)

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Excellent Stephen!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

We got dispensation to stay at Travis Famcamp for six months due to medical issues. We got to know the couple managing the place and to read the reviews you would think them terrible Ogres. But I helped them out in the Famcamp helping noobs get in OK and found that Military can b e the rudest campers. Everyone with a "sweetie" pooch thinks their little sweetie needs no leash like the big scary dogs like our furkid Shar-Pei Bogart. They also thought their little turds did not need to be picked up, the droppings not calling the little yapping ankle biters little turds, today. But I have called them worse, when out walking mine. Tthey dart out and actually got in his face and he let them most times, knowing they were not the problem, their parents were just bad. These were the types that thought the managers enforcing the rules were not "nice" managers. Because they and their little unleashed mutt were "special." I have a special bad attitude towards the non picker uppers as I step in it on the way to walking my pup where we are supposed to and picking up. Why? Because every hard time I ever had to tolerate about owning my well trained companion were caused by the "special" people who were and are in their minds above the rules, and most other people too.

So add whether they own pets to the equation, and whether they are rank conscious after retiring towards other RVrs. From my experience managing an RV Park is a lot like being an admin for online forums, some of them are bad, or give special treatment to their pets, but most are dealing with the problem people as best they can. That is another job I'll pass on. Military or civilian.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Best for views? Management? Enforcement of leash rules? Size of campsites? Near a certain destination? Nicest looking facilities and campsites? WiFi? Access? Access to ocean or lake? Dog walks? Library and lounge with computers? Condition of hookups? Best isolation from noise tank, gun, aircraft, testing facilities? Best boating/fishing rentals/Charters, fish cleaning and freezing facilities? What?

Just a general question, was looking for you take on anything you could give..

In other words ask about each one you are interested in and I'm sure you'll get a flood of answers. For example we love Fiddler's Cove next to the SEALS trying center for the views of the bay and yachts at mooring. Yet a ten minute walk across the Strand and the Pacific beaches are great. But when we were there they just has water and electric at the sites. You had to break camp to go dump. But they have very nice sail boat etc. rentals right there. For some the lack of a sewer at each site was a showstopper.

And this information is helpful..

We hated Nellis. If they still have those sites around a circle, and you have a large fiver rig, don't accept one. The staff was rude in 1999 last time we were there.

See, some of our issues may have been resolved by personnel changes and new construction. We have been off the road longer than the 7 years we fulltime. We could only speak to geography and that was then, this is now.

Do what we did. Stop at every famcamp, regardless of branch, along or near your route. Between Escapees parks and coops, and famcamps we rarely needed others more than about a third of the time. Alaska was half and half.

That is our plan!

I am going to take advantage of the Military famcamps!!

Cant beat the security, the close accommodations to the shopping facilities, and the locations.

And also, most of the bases are pretty close to somewhere worth visiting, so locations are important as well..

Alaska sounds nice, but I am not too crazy about the Alaska freeway north of Anchorage..

The Few

We've used the military campgrounds sites for years also. The directions can save your butt sometimes. Like Lackland or Wright Pat for example.

Worst Famcamp ever??? Andrews AFB... Best Mayport DMAFB is great as is the Cheatham Annex.

BTW, the military campgrounds site is privately owned and I don't think he would allow any B.S...

What made Andrews an unpleasant stay for you??

I have been on the base a few times, and stemming just on the attitude of the people on the base, "and in that area in particular", I can almost see your point...

but what was it about the campsite that was unpleasant for you??

The Few

What made Andrews an unpleasant stay for you??

I have been on the base a few times, and stemming just on the attitude of the people on the base, "and in that area in particular", I can almost see your point...

but what was it about the campsite that was unpleasant for you??

First, it's run down, sites are gravel, water pressure is low and there is only 30 amp service. Reservations are required...

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

• 4 weeks later...

Warrenton Oregon. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/oregon/camp-rilea

Go to the link and scroll all the way down to the map. Its no big shakes but we use it to explore the Columbia river mouth, Lewis and Clark parks and exhibits, forts, beaches, and lighthouses on both the Washington and Oregon sides of the river.

Seward military resort was a great place! Tiny spaces but the run of the facility and use of the bay and deep sea fishing boats there. We won free tickets three times in the five days we were there. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/seward-resort

We were there in 1999 and Fort Richardson's RV park was under construction around and on the new lake on post, we did not stay at the military famcamp at Valdiz so it must have been built since. Mountains and ocean/lake/bay both in walking distance is Alaska. We did not go to any in the upper US save the national parks.

Go here check out the map. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

Warrenton Oregon. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/oregon/camp-rilea

Go to the link and scroll all the way down to the map. Its no big shakes but we use it to explore the Columbia river mouth, Lewis and Clark parks and exhibits, forts, beaches, and lighthouses on both the Washington and Oregon sides of the river.

Seward military resort was a great place! Tiny spaces but the run of the facility and use of the bay and deep sea fishing boats there. We won free tickets three times in the five days we were there. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska/seward-resort

We were there in 1999 and Fort Richardson's RV park was under construction around and on the new lake on post, we did not stay at the military famcamp at Valdiz so it must have been built since. Mountains and ocean/lake/bay both in walking distance is Alaska. We did not go to any in the upper US save the national parks.

Go here check out the map. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/alaska

Yes, stewart is BEAUTIFUL!! Visited there while stationed in Okinawa JAPAN with the family back in 2005.. Stayed near the AFB in anchorage AK..

The Few

That base would be Elmendorf AFB, AK. We stayed at their FamCamp which they said they were completely redoing the next year. We did Alaska from April when we met at the HitchHiker factory in Chanute Kansas and worked our way North as the roads melted crossing into Tok in May 1999. Then we stayed at Eilson AFB to tour Fairbanks and do some gold panning and tours. Then we moved over to Denali and stayed there for three days, then on to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, and a week to shop the commissary and BX and take a road break. From there South to the Kenai River city of Soldotna where we boonedocked in a private airfield and fished the red salmon run on a private strip owned by the guy who let us stay on his lot. From there to Seward, then across to Valdez for a few weeks of Halibut fishing in the Gulf of Alaska, and bay fishing in Valdez bay, and we fished the amazing Silver salmon run there. We left from Valdez and the Eagle's rest RV park September 5th and only got some sleet on the way home, no ice on the roads. Then we spent a month at Fiddler's Cove on the San Diego bay side of The Strand across the street from the Pacific Ocean beach side. We went up by the Alaskan Highway via Alberta's Banff park, Lake Louise, and the Jasper Ice Fields, then took the Cassiar Highway back. Great country.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived