Yip-Pee made our last White Knuckle Trip!

Radar274

Just got back from are annual trip to Lexington Ky. we have been volunteering there for over 15 yrs. The DW drives her Jeep pulling a 16ft trailer with a small mini-cab truck on it and I pull the 39ft Fifth wheel with a beefed up F350--- White knuckling all the way!!!! On day 2 of our 10 day stay, the salesman we have been working with found a truck in Fargo ND. and today we wired him the money YIP-PEE.

Don't Tell the DW but I was wetting my pants on the drive home. I don't know if it was from being excited or nervous, (550 white knuckle miles for the last time or thinking about registering it as a MotorHome). It will be registered in Michigan, I had the dealer remove the hitch and plug the airlines, the vin shows 110volt, bunk heater, refrigerator and I have a receipt for a microwave and porta potty in hand. Can anyone think of anything else.

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Yes the truck came from RDO. I worked thru VIP Truck Center in Livonia Mi. they did all the negotiations and got a great deal. Just waiting for the tittle so I can try to register as MH, before we pick it up.

Bob&Kay

Yes the truck came from RDO. I worked thru VIP Truck Center in Livonia Mi. they did all the negotiations and got a great deal. Just waiting for the tittle so I can try to register as MH, before we pick it up.

Well CONGRATULATIONS Radar274!! I'm working my way to an HDT RV hauler myself, but I have more of a ways to go than you do.. I hope EVERYTHING works out in your favor.. I am more than certain that your " white knuckling" days are far and gone (I hope)!!

The Few

The Few thank you for the kind words and thank you most for your service!!!!!

Rick Thanks. We will be singling/deck, need to haul a Gator or M274 mechanical mule to events we volunteer for. Would like a ET hitch but already have a trailersaver that has very few miles on it. I want to single It short unless you guys can talk me out of It.

Bob

Bob&Kay

Sounds great! Don't know what type of Gator your going to haul or which way you plan to haul it but, I think the few that I have looked at are close to the width of a smart Car. So, if parking it sideways on the deck you will have to account for trailer swing. Lots of trucks being build these days are 230" to 236" WB but it is quite an individual thing and just build to your needs.

Rick were you traveling east on I94 a few weeks a go? If not someone has a nice black hdt. DW does not want a Smart or anything on the bed so I have to go about this one step at a time. We travel on the east coast a few times a year, the campgrounds are very tight and hard to negotiate with our 2000 F350, so single short would help.

Bob&Kay

Do not want to double tow, so will single it our self short and leave the frame long without a bed for the summer. I think after some traveling I can convince the DW to Single mid and put the deck on this winter. We are lucky enough to have a very good spring shop who makes and balances the drive shafts for the farm trucks at a reasonable price, so will only be out the cost to redo the shaft.

Bob&Kay

Bob,

No that wasn't me on I-94 but I wish it was!!! ;) Will be on the road for the season soon I hope. I see in your signature that the truck has a 2.47 ratio....I spec'd my truck with tallest gears I could 2.67. I have never seen a 2.47 ratio mentioned before? Interesting vehicle

I was able to get the original Invoice from the dealer and the ratio is 2.47 which I had never heard of before either. We were very lucky getting this truck it had everything we wanted except a sink and diff loc. I am hoping the dealer can install the diff loc without changing the complete rear-end. It has a 13200 front axle not sure it that is std or upgrade.

Bob&Kay

Rick thanks for the link. It's a lot of fun and can out work a JD gator with it's eyes closed. Have carried 1500 pound square bales out of the feed down the road and next to the barn.

Bob&Kay

Let me know if a diff lock can be installed without swapping out the whole rear end. I was told 247 was too high. There is a site, Roadranger or something like that which goes into rpm of wheel and distance travelled.

My rpm is 1450 at 63 mph. I think the rear end is 312..not sure, this is almost 3 yrs ago.

Not sure about a 247 ratio being to high or not the dealer said we will love it and it should run 60 @ around 1,100 rpm. The truck hauled bulk dry grain long distance. The engine is a D13 425VE/1750-1450 ECO/Dual not sure what that means as of yet but it was a $4100 upgrade.

Bob&Kay

Yeah, you forgot one thing with regard to registering the vehicle. BE NICE and SMILE at the nice lady...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Hey thanks Paul I will enter with my tail between my legs. Being nice is not one of my strongest suits (type AAAAAA personality), maybe I should send the DW.

Bob&Kay

Congrats on the new truck. Wave as you go by on your way home when you go thru MN.

verify that Michigan will accept the microwave for cooking. MN requires LP cooking. In fact it may not hurt to print a copy if their rules for an RV and have them in your back pocket in case you need them.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I would highly recommend talking to a private registration company maybe one that deals with heavy duty trucks. They will already have a good report with people at the DMV and have a much better chance of pushing it through.

Especially if you're concerned you may not be able to keep your cool.

Radar congrats on the new truck. I went through this several years ago in Michigan. Suggestions:

1) Have all the paperwork you can possibly think of with you. Shows that you are prepared.

2) Have a copy of the federal motorhome standards (requirements to be a motorhome) unless they have changed the state of Michigan used the Fed. standards.

3) Have all your receipts and pictures can't hurt.

4) I wrote a short affidavit detailing what I had, What it was going to be used for and what I had done to it.

5) MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL. Hold your temper no matter how dumb their questions may be or if they tell you they can't do what you want. YOU CAN ONLY LOSE.

I took every scrap of paper I had and I was in and out in 45 minutes with the job all done.

Brad

PS: Maybe Bill B will chime in. He has done this recently so he is more current.

On another note. I had my rear axle moved to the front position and did NOT shorten the frame. We wanted to carry a Smart some day but since it was down the road at that point I did not want to change anything that possibly could have to be put back. As you can see by my picture we now have a bed and a Smart. I also have a 14,600 front axle so I have no problem with the weight.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Thanks Brad and Happy B day you have me by 6 months

Truck is in North Dakota, so we are trying to Register it here in MI. before I pick it up. The Invoice shows Bunk heater, Refrigerator, 110 volts, the Hitch removed, Air line for trailer Plugged, I have a receipt for the Microwave and Porta potty. Bill B sent a message about MSP Form for lights so I will find the form and fill out. I will try in Detroit first where the Dealer I purchased the truck from is located; we live on the west side of the state so If Detroit doesn't work I can try closer to home.

Bob

Bob&Kay

Archived