How much HP/Torque do you really need?

The Few

Few,

I made a few comments regarding your thread about trying to cross the U S without a fuel stop and in my comments I mentioned that our "tiny Tim" Freightshaker is likely one of the smallest engine / light weight HDT's on the forum. Our pre-EGR M11 dialed at 370 / 1350 with a 10 speed 3:73 tandem and 24.5 tires works very well for our fairly light loads.......we tow a smaller 30 ft 8K toybox and have a truck load of horse water / feed and misc of up to 9K at times. Our light weight NEVER taxes our power and we often travel very steep and curvy back road mtn passes that allow us to access many of the better horse trails in the west. While our rig is pretty small it is often the max size allowed in the back country horse camps. Even on the steepest roads we travel, many steep grades have short straights and 35 mph or less curves so we often find ourselves coasting a no power up portions of the grades just to slow for the oncoming curve(s).

One thing to ponder out West is that California is REALLY STRICT that trucks towing are limited to 55MPH and the CHP WILL stop you and ticket you in a heart-beat much over 55............CA is a state where almost any HDT engine is more then large enough to get $$$ fast if you do not set your cruise control correctly and do not watch your speeds down moderate grades.

Maybe I do not travel as fast as many forum members but I can NEVER recall a time when I needed more engine power at our weights!

I have observed that many of the 15L & 16L report mpg figures +16 bobtail and +11 towing LARGE trailers and these numbers are as good or better than we obtain with our 11L small engine.

While I am delighted with our M11........IF.......I were to start towing 30k to 40k loads I would likely be happier with a larger engine.

It is very likely that a "light foot" on the throttle during normal driving and then using the larger engine added power on the long long steep roads are about the best anyone could ask for. At the end of the day in the Western U S you'll likely be best served with a larger engine and careful gearing........

Some thoughts to ponder.......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding driving in CA, I have spoken to several full-time OTR Truckers. Most drive about 60mph. The cops will ticket quickly over this speed.

JohnnyB

I have lived in SoCal for over 50 years. Before all of the GPS gadgetry, my standard tow speed was (and is) 60mph because ETA was easy to calculate at this mile/minute speed. CHP always drove right by me.

Jim & JohnnyB,

You bring my point of the CA 55 speed limit to a fine point and that is just what is the "Ticket Speed" in CA.........

It seems that a little (5mph) is the common margin that CHP might grant tow rigs..........so the question is........IF.....we set our cruise control at 60 mph AND us high-powered RV-HDT rigs can top almost any CA hill at 60 mph then.........what happens when our cruise-control-auto-jake does not even engage till 62-63 and then it takes a few hundred yards to slow the acceleration that has often built to 64 - 66 before the jake starts to bring the speed back to the desired 60 mph........(whew long winded).

You folks make a good point........above 60mph ........as Clint Eastwood said.........."ya feel'n lucky".......

I admit I might be a little more chicken in my later years so I set the cruise at 57mph on the ole Freight shaker and the watch to make sure the jake keeps the rig at or below 60 on the downhills.........so far it works for me.......

Even our little M11 can give me a bit too much speed when I am off cruise control in CA so it just brings home my point that the large power we have can bite us at times in CA IF we do not keep alert when driving at the "edge" of the tow-speed limit.

I suppose there is another good point to towing with a HDT and that is .........IF we let the speed drift past 60 mph and John Law turns the red & blue lights on behind us........at least we have good brakes to pull over and get stopped (unlike LGT's).........

Back to the thread subject.......big engines have many advantages over smaller engines, but I would say that almost any RV-HDT is well powered 95% of the time no matter what size engine is under the hood......

Cheerz

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Few,

I made a few comments regarding your thread about trying to cross the U S without a fuel stop and in my comments I mentioned that our "tiny Tim" Freightshaker is likely one of the smallest engine / light weight HDT's on the forum. Our pre-EGR M11 dialed at 370 / 1350 with a 10 speed 3:73 tandem and 24.5 tires works very well for our fairly light loads.......we tow a smaller 30 ft 8K toybox and have a truck load of horse water / feed and misc of up to 9K at times. Our light weight NEVER taxes our power and we often travel very steep and curvy back road mtn passes that allow us to access many of the better horse trails in the west. While our rig is pretty small it is often the max size allowed in the back country horse camps. Even on the steepest roads we travel, many steep grades have short straights and 35 mph or less curves so we often find ourselves coasting a no power up portions of the grades just to slow for the oncoming curve(s).

One thing to ponder out West is that California is REALLY STRICT that trucks towing are limited to 55MPH and the CHP WILL stop you and ticket you in a heart-beat much over 55............CA is a state where almost any HDT engine is more then large enough to get $$$ fast if you do not set your cruise control correctly and do not watch your speeds down moderate grades.

Maybe I do not travel as fast as many forum members but I can NEVER recall a time when I needed more engine power at our weights!

I have observed that many of the 15L & 16L report mpg figures +16 bobtail and +11 towing LARGE trailers and these numbers are as good or better than we obtain with our 11L small engine.

While I am delighted with our M11........IF.......I were to start towing 30k to 40k loads I would likely be happier with a larger engine.

It is very likely that a "light foot" on the throttle during normal driving and then using the larger engine added power on the long long steep roads are about the best anyone could ask for. At the end of the day in the Western U S you'll likely be best served with a larger engine and careful gearing........

Few,

Few,

Dolly,

If I can fugure out a successful formula (engine size, tire size, fuel amount, rear end gearing, speed,) to drive in a Volvo 780 hauling a 20000# TH, and carrying a smart car, and accomplish at LEAST 2000-2200 miles on a single (dual tank of 300 gal) fill up, then I will be happy!! I am determined to do just that!! I do understand the variables, and position I am putting myself on this forum with all of you experts that actually know what you are talking about, but I am a newbie to the HDT RV scene, but I have been dreaming, investigating, lurking, pondering, saving, asking, "or whatever else there is", about this for the past 3-4 years!! I am not going into this blind, in fact I pretty much know exactly what I want, I am just not good enough to go this on my own just yet!! I do need all of you to help me through this, and even after I buy my truck and rig.. BUT, I am determined to get what I want, and how I want it to work..I only have one shot at this, so it has to be "a good decision", because if it isn't, my wife is going to KILL me, and that will be a VERY " significantly emotional event" for me..(laughing)

The Few

Unless you're factory ordering, you're putting way too much effort and worry into the pre-purchase thought process. By focusing on a specific brand, with a specific model, running a specific trans/engine combo, you'll limit yourself to the point that you'll never play in the game. There are a few fine trucks available in the "For Sale" section, that are already done, some including the whole package. You could be in the big leagues next weekend. Most of these trucks are listed for less than the cost of the improvements, never mind the initial purchase price.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Howdy Few,

2,200 miles, divided by 300 gallons = 7.333333333 miles per gallon at least thats the way it works out using old school math now I don't have a clue what the answer is using new math or better yet the common core method. :wacko:

Using my truck as an example I tow a 20,000 pound trailer don't carry a Smart Car on the deck, in the mountainous west, when its safe to do so I run with the cruise control set at 60mph in Kalifonia and 62 in other States, the worst mileage I have ever gotten is 7.1, the best 9.6, the over all average in the last 27,000 miles I have driven the truck is 8.2mpg, all numbers hand calculated by dividing miles driven by the gallons burned.

So I don't see any problem in you being able to realistically archive the mileage your looking for. That said, I would NEVER push my rig that far on ONE fill, you do NOT want to run a diesel engine out of fuel, it will be a real bear to get started again and you will clog your fuel system with all the crud thats in the bottom of your fuel tanks. I have two 140 gallon tanks on my truck for a total of 280 gallons on board, I start to seriously look for fuel when I have driven 1,500 miles from the last time I filled. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

You are not going to find a truck with 600 gallons of fuel capability,. You WILL find them with 300, or around 250. What is the issue with stopping after 250 gallons of usage?

If you want 600 gallons on the truck you are going to have to add tanks and give up storage all along the sides. That is not a good tradeoff to me. But it would be your truck.

I agree that you are way overthinking this. The first consideration is to find a good truck. Most of them are geared correctly for line haul applications.But if you have "special" speeds you want to run at (beyond the norm for line-haul) then make that a consideration when looking.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Unless you're factory ordering, you're putting way too much effort and worry into the pre-purchase thought process. By focusing on a specific brand, with a specific model, running a specific trans/engine combo, you'll limit yourself to the point that you'll never play in the game. There are a few fine trucks available in the "For Sale" section, that are already done, some including the whole package. You could be in the big leagues next weekend. Most of these trucks are listed for less than the cost of the improvements, never mind the initial purchase price.

Hi Darryl&Rita

I'm not putting too much effort and worry into the pre-purchase thought process, Im actually being smart by asking questions, and figuring out EXACTLY what I want!! I won't just settle for something because it is available, we are looking for something that is absolutely going to make us smile EVERYTIME We look at it and travel in it!!

If there are a few trucks that are for sale exactly how I want them, then I will buy it.. But I am not partial to what a lot of other people choose to have as options, "in or on" their trucks readily available for sale.. For example, I am not a fan of singling the truck, or having a $20000.00 smart car deck built, or a host of other things.. I am building the rig I want, and not what someone else had!!

I can certainly wait for the perfect opportunity for whatever I am looking for, just like you did...

If I have the money to buy a truck that is a total wreck, and put $200,000.00 to rebuild it instead of buying a new one, then I guess I am perfectly OK with that... After all, I only have one person to answer to when things go wrong, and we have been married for almost 25 yrs.. If she is ok with my decisions, then I live for that!!!

The Few

Howdy Few,

2,200 miles, divided by 300 gallons = 7.333333333 miles per gallon at least thats the way it works out using old school math now I don't have a clue what the answer is using new math or better yet the common core method. :wacko:

Using my truck as an example I tow a 20,000 pound trailer don't carry a Smart Car on the deck, in the mountainous west, when its safe to do so I run with the cruise control set at 60mph in Kalifonia and 62 in other States, the worst mileage I have ever gotten is 7.1, the best 9.6, the over all average in the last 27,000 miles I have driven the truck is 8.2mpg, all numbers hand calculated by dividing miles driven by the gallons burned.

So I don't see any problem in you being able to realistically archive the mileage your looking for. That said, I would NEVER push my rig that far on ONE fill, you do NOT want to run a diesel engine out of fuel, it will be a real bear to get started again and you will clog your fuel system with all the crud thats in the bottom of your fuel tanks. I have two 140 gallon tanks on my truck for a total of 280 gallons on board, I start to seriously look for fuel when I have driven 1,500 miles from the last time I filled. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Dave

Howdy Few,

Dave

You took the words right out of my mouth Mr Cob..

But, I would NEVER run my truck dry, I was just looking for a best/worst case scenario as far as how far the truck could travel...

I also plan to fill up around the half tank point, or until I can find the cheapest gas shortly after the half tank mark...

I am also learning, that most trucks will do exactly what I am looking for from the factory, and just needed confirmation from a duty expert since I have yet to purchase a truck, and you answered my call sir!!

Again, thank you for your input, never tired of hearing it, because I am listening!!!

The Few

Hi Darryl&Rita

I'm not putting too much effort and worry into the pre-purchase thought process, Im actually being smart by asking questions, and figuring out EXACTLY what I want!! I won't just settle for something because it is available, we are looking for something that is absolutely going to make us smile EVERYTIME We look at it and travel in it!!

If there are a few trucks that are for sale exactly how I want them, then I will buy it.. But I am not partial to what a lot of other people choose to have as options, "in or on" their trucks readily available for sale.. For example, I am not a fan of singling the truck, or having a $20000.00 smart car deck built, or a host of other things.. I am building the rig I want, and not what someone else had!!

I can certainly wait for the perfect opportunity for whatever I am looking for, just like you did...

If I have the money to buy a truck that is a total wreck, and put $200,000.00 to rebuild it instead of buying a new one, then I guess I am perfectly OK with that... After all, I only have one person to answer to when things go wrong, and we have been married for almost 25 yrs.. If she is ok with my decisions, then I live for that!!!

Howdy Few,

PLEASE, don't take this the wrong way but if you have $200,000 to spend rebuilding-building a truck I can't comprehend your concern with fuel mileage. I fully understand your wanting what YOU want as I am sure all of us do, if I had that kind of money I too would have the truck I wanted. As it is I paid $25,000 for mine, have put about $2,000 into it for repairs and upkeep and just enjoy the heck out of it. $200,000 dollars would buy more diesel fuel and camp ground fees then I'll ever consume and I use my truck more then most on this list.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

You are not going to find a truck with 600 gallons of fuel capability,. You WILL find them with 300, or around 250. What is the issue with stopping after 250 gallons of usage?

If you want 600 gallons on the truck you are going to have to add tanks and give up storage all along the sides. That is not a good tradeoff to me. But it would be your truck.

I agree that you are way overthinking this. The first consideration is to find a good truck. Most of them are geared correctly for line haul applications.But if you have "special" speeds you want to run at (beyond the norm for line-haul) then make that a consideration when looking.

No worries Jack, simple mistake on my part.. I meant twin 150 gal tanks, to equal 300 gallons..

Also, Never tell someone they are over thinking something unless you know their intentions..

I would never say that you were over thinking when you bought a RV that costs more than the homes most people live in..

YOU are happy about what you bought, and I am happy for you!!

Who am I to even try to give you advise on something like that?? I would be an idiot, that is who I would be... You ordered everything from the toilet seat, to the 53 foot frame.. I have my personal thoughts about your rig and how I would do things, but it a very NICE set up, and it is perfect for you!! AGAIN, congrats to you and your wife, I am happy for you both for a beautiful rig!!!

The Few

Few,

Sometimes keeping from be killed by the wife is the hardest chore in the RV's lifestyle .......... so we all hear you......

Something you'll likely find hard to get a "number" on is that on any given trip........ I almost always stumble across as good or better price on fuel as the fuel that remains in my tanks. When you find a good price on fuel AND you have room enough in the tanks, it is about as 'GOOD a NUMBER" as you will find in the day to day operations of your rig........

There is a old saying in aviation..........altitude above you, runway behind you, and empty space in your fuel tanks are free AND of NO use to you.....

In a HDT a good fuel price passed up just will result in more diesel bought down the road at a higher price........

You can "figure" a lot of "numbers" in the HDT game but so numbers are just that........ a roll of the dice....

Here is the best "number" you really need...... and that is when you REALLY need to STOP with your tow.........Your HDT will return the best stopping NUMBER.......fast and that truck will pay for it's self in just a few seconds.......PERIOD!

It's scary how fast one of these trucks can stop your rig........and ya you will have a few things shift places in the trailer but thats the way it is when you play with the "Big Numbers".

Sometimes a HDT can be not perfect but a lot of days a lot of HDT users have a large "Number" of smiles so......what the heck.....jump in the pool and try it......chances are you will like it......

Cheerz

Howdy Few,

PLEASE, don't take this the wrong way but if you have $200,000 to spend rebuilding-building a truck I can't comprehend your concern with fuel mileage. I fully understand your wanting what YOU want as I am sure all of us do, if I had that kind of money I too would have the truck I wanted. As it is I paid $25,000 for mine, have put about $2,000 into it for repairs and upkeep and just enjoy the heck out of it. $200,000 dollars would buy more diesel fuel and camp ground fees then I'll ever consume and I use my truck more then most on this list.

Dave

(Laughing) Hello Mr Cob

This is actually entertaining, I am not taking this personal at all!! Don't let this message or chat fool you into thinking otherwise, written words don't have personality, so it's all good!!

But you just initiated my point!!

You mentioned what you paid for your rig, and what you would do if you has $200,000.00. But you have to understand something, that maybe you and I are diffrent?

Maybe I make one million dollars a year, or maybe I am just as broke as the next guy... Whatever the case may be, I am perfectly happy with how I do this project.. It's all about prerogative and privilege..

Bottom line, I don't get envious of others, I applaude and congratulate.. Some people worked hard for what they have, and it makes them happy, and I am happy for them!!!

The Few

(Laughing) Hello Mr Cob

This is actually entertaining, I am not taking this personal at all!! Don't let this message or chat fool you into thinking otherwise, written words don't have personality, so it's all good!!

You mentioned what you paid for your rig, and what you would do if you has $200,000.00. But you have to understand something, that maybe you and I are diffrent?

Maybe I make one million dollars a year, or maybe I am just as broke as the next guy... Whatever the case may be, I am perfectly happy with how I do this project.. It's all about prerogative and privilege..

Bottom line, I don't get envious of others, I applaude and congratulate.. Some people worked hard for what they have, and it makes them happy, and I am happy for them!!!

Howdy Few,

I totally agree, words written by folks who don't know each other are to often taken the wrong way, I much prefer sitting around a camp fire and talking face to face. So get yourself a HDT and drag a trailer someplace interesting and join the camp fire.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Few,

I totally agree, words written by folks who don't know each other are to often taken the wrong way, I much prefer sitting around a camp fire and talking face to face. So get yourself a HDT and drag a trailer someplace interesting and join the camp fire.

Dave

Howdy Few,

Dave

Roger that, sir!!

The Few

(Laughing) Hello Mr Cob

I like the way you think, sir!!

The Few

Roger that, sir!!

Howdy Few,

I am going to "assume" you were in the Corp, based on your screen name and as you keep calling folks "Sir", as a former NCO in the Army, I take umbrage at that title. But I'll gladly swap lies with you should our trails ever cross. :D

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy Few,

I am going to "assume" you were in the Corp, based on your screen name and as you keep calling folks "Sir", as a former NCO in the Army, I take umbrage at that title. But I'll gladly swap lies with you should our trails ever cross. :D

Dave

Yes sir,

3yrs Army

24yrs Marine Corps

Working Federal Government currently..

I'm 50 yrs old, so I'm not that young...LOL

The Few

Few,

Some thoughts to ponder...

I also have the smaller M11 400/1350 and it dyno's at 380 I geared different though at I think 2.77 and 22.5 tires. The 5er is also a little larger closer to 14,000 and I have and Meritor manual 10 speed. I do get poorer mileage with my Freightshaker but that is ok I am happy with it usually 8 to 9 towing I really don't pay attention to bobtail but I did once get almost 12 mpg lot of coasting. Now on 6% grades usually drop to 9th gear and I don't expect to do that grade at 85 mph either am happy going slower. Bottom line get what you think will work for you, probably any combination will, after all we are not grossing out at 80,000 lbs. Enjoy the search and your gonna have a lot of fun in the process. :)

Oh forgot to say I usually do 60 mph no matter the configuration unless speed limit says less. Since retirement just can't bring myself to be in a hurry. ;)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Years ago, when I used to read one or more trucking magazines, Cat provided a study of the gains of a 600HP C15 versus a 550HP C15. In a computer simulation (arguably better as driver nuances are taken out, but take it as you wish) said that a common run over the Rocky Mountains would require 140 shifts in a 550HP, or 40 shifts in a 600HP.

In a parallel universe, think about your neighborhood fire truck. Interestingly, a 2000gpm pump is the same actual pump as a 1500gpm pump, but the 2000gpm pump MUST be mated to a 400+ HP engine: that's how much power it takes to pump water at that rate (technically at +150psi pressure differential, etc.). A 375HP or smaller just cannot deliver enough power through the transmission to the pump to get the job done.

Speaking of which, think about how the horsepower upgrades are handled simply in the ECM: the entire engine is built to deliver X horsepower, but they sell it for less money if you spec is with <X horsepower. Why? Lower risk of warranty claims on broken stuff. Therefore, I'd probably rather buy a Volvo D16 at 500HP than a D13 at 500HP: you're getting a unit that's built for 600HP but software-limited to 500HP, rather than a 500HP unit running to the redline. Many of today's diesel engines are software-limited to their peak torque rating for the sake of the transmission behind them. Take a look at the power and torque graphs: if the torque graph is flat-topped for more than 50RPM, then it's probably holding back a bit for the sake of the gearbox.

Archived