Trans. oil change?

kathydavidb

I have a Class A MH with a Ford V-10 gas engine. It now has apprx. 32,000 mi. on it and hasn't had the trans. oil or trans. filter changed yet. We tow a car and somewhere I found that a trans oil change should be done around 30,000 mi. My trans. oil looks clean and does not smell burnt. Is this something I should get done? My only fear is that it seems when someone does work on the RV there is always something that pops up from their work, after the work is done. (or it seems that way to me) Should I do the Trans. oil & filter change? Thanks for any info. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

When we were fulltime in our Ford chassis motorhome I did follow the chassis service recommendations. With the Ford warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles and a power train warranty of 5 years/60,000 miles, I suggest that you get it serviced and keep the receipt just in case you should have a power train warranty issue.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Is it the Allison transmission?

No, I believe it to be the Ford transmission.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Just changing the transmission fluid is easy. Just pull the drain plug, drain the fluid, put the plug back in and refill with 7 quarts of MoPar SP fluid. Only use the fluid stated in the owners manual, which is the "SP" fluid. The stuff ain't cheep about $8 a quart.

The hardest part is getting the new fluid back in. I use a clear plastic water hose you can buy at the hardware store. You need to buy it small enough to fit into the transmission fluid check tube and use a funnel small enough to fit in the other end of the tube. It works best with two people.

Changing the internal filter requires dropping the transmission pan. If you do drop the pan, get a torque wrench to tighten the bolts. The housing is aluminum and you can strip the threads pretty easy.

About a month ago I dropped the pan and changed the filter (about 38,000 miles on a 2006). It is not too bad a job. It is hard to get the pan maneuvered back in place w/o having debris falling into the pan.

From the looks of the old filter (it was so clean) I won't change the filter again for 100,000 miles, if I keep the RV that long. I'll change the fluid every 30,000 miles though.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Thanks Al, that is a lot of helpful info. The only issue mine has is getting the new trans. fluid back in. My dipstick tube is a very small diameter. It is the same as the engine oil dipstick - about the diameter of a pencil. So, the first time I'll take it in to have it done. Thanks again for all the help. Dave.

Archived