Moving Dash switches

kidder

Hi Everyone,

Next thing on my list of things to do is to get the truck ready for putting in a dash monitor and backup camera. I am looking to move 4 dash switches (jake brake, 5th wheel switch (no longer used), rear dump switch, and one other --- all sit right below the main fuse box and above the radio. I want to move them to the panel which sits to the right of the steering wheel but left of the vent. This darn vent sits right between the two panels :(.

I know a number of people have done this and am looking for some advice. Looking at the switches that need to moved they sit right below what looks to be the main fuse box. So from what I can see I am probably going to have to remove the fuse box and potentially even the vent and run the wires either behind the vent or underneath?

If anyone has any words of wisdom, pictures, or just suggestions, I am ALL EARS :). Or can point me in the direction of such - it would be great appreciated. If no one has documented this with pictures, I will do this and post to the group when completed.

Thanks in advance.

Curt

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Curt,

Will see if I can find pictures to post but I did exactly what you propose. My backup monitor sits in the dash below the fuses and moved all my switches one space left. The connections all move very easily and should present no issues. Looks like it came from the factory that way.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I re-arranged mine. The switches just pop out. I think all I had to cut was one zip tie so that the wire on the one switch would stretch to where I wanted it. The whole project of moving the switches took under 5 minutes.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

All of your switches will have enough wire to move over there.

If you look to the far left you will see my engine brake switch.

IMGP0004-M.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

All of your switches will have enough wire to move over there.

If you look to the far left you will see my engine brake switch.

IMGP0004-M.jpg

Big5er - thats exactly what we want to - and our dash looks identical.

Did you have to pull the fuse box at the top to pull them behind the vent OR ??

By the way, love how you installed the monitor - will have to talk to you about that as well :).

Thanks,

C

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Curt,

You do not have to pull the box. My setup is just like Big5er and there is plenty of length on the wires like Rick said. Can't get my pics to upload.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Curt, that A/C vent pops out too, so you can just work the wires around the end of the duct and you are there. That piece of wood trim pops off, start at the steering wheel side, and exposes all the screws that hold the pieces in. You can unscrew the piece where the monitor is, reach behind and push out the A/C vent, reach thru that hole and push out the next section. Once you remove that wood trim it is all sorta easy. You will see what unscrews and what pops out.

I had a friend that took the original bezel for the switches, used a dremel tool to cut out a hole for the monitor, glassed the monitor in place and covered it with vinyl. So the monitor uses all the original tabs and screws to mount. He works at "Car Toys". They do all kinds of custom stereo stuff. I did all the rest but glassing the monitor in the Volvo bezel was way beyond my skill.

Here is a broader picture. I moved the ones from the monitor area to the left, and moved the ones that were located where the Sirius is to the spot right next to the steering wheel.

IMGP0003_zpsybm9qmyr.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks Guys.

I actually went ahead before the two of you posted - hehehe. Both of your posts are 100% accurate. Once I removed the wood trim ... it was easy to get the vent out, and everything on the dash just naturally came out - so it made it really easy.

The fellow who had the truck before us obviously had a bunch of other stuff added onto the truck because there are a number of wires in there that it is easy to see are "add ons". It was good to get back there ... clean it all up :).

If anyone is interested, I took a bunch of pictures. I can post them which shows pretty much the entire job.

Great idea on getting someone else to do the bezel Big - that is probably what I will do :).

Thanks again everyone. Nice to get another item off the to do list.

Curt

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Phil,

I think that is the same monitor that I have. I was in quite a hurry last season and just left a switch cover out and pulled the wire through the hole. I attached the monitor to the top of the switches with industrial velcro. That bezel looks great! I may have to spend some time and mount mine in dash it looks so much better that way.

3M%2520Dual%2520lock%2520SJ3560.jpg

RV%2520cam.jpg

I did all the rest but glassing the monitor in the Volvo bezel was way beyond my skill.

Thank goodness you only listed one of things beyond your skill level, Big5er. Escapees only has so many terabites of storage dedicated to the Forums. ;)

I guess that I owe you a Dr. Pepper or three the next time I see you to make amends for the insult. :P:D I just couldn't help myself.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Rick,

What monitor do you and Big have and where did you get it - they are identical and look really sharp.

Curt

Got it from:

Steve Gudin

Leviathan Holdings, LLC

2473 S Higley Rd # 104-105

Gilbert, AZ 85295-1103

Here is eBay store. This info was given to me by Jack a few years ago and he has been great to deal with. Had some cables and a few more camera's ship from him today.

Yes, Steve is the place to get video stuff. I've used him for at least 13 years. Reliable, and the stuff is very good for the price. Is there "better" stuff out there? Yes, there sure is. But for the price Steves stuff is very good quality.

What size monitor is that one, guys? I have a 7" and a 9". The 7" is bigger than that one, it looks like....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Mine is a 7" and it looks like Phil's is as well.

Hmmm, I'll have to get my 7" out again.

What I's like to do is put in my 8.4" Samsung tablet, though. I'll get to play with that later this summer. It is about 10 major items down on my "truck list".

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Yup, mine is the same one that RiskS has.

Phil D, normally for that one you'd need to add a little Blue Bell to that Dr. Pepper, but I'll let ya slide cuz I like ya :ph34r:

Curt, glad ya got it worked out. Rick and Jack are right about Steve. Good guy to deal with.

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil D, normally for that one you'd need to add a little Blue Bell to that Dr. Pepper, but I'll let ya slide cuz I like ya :ph34r:

You're on! We almost always have a half gallon of Homemade Vanilla in the freezer (when they're making the doggone stuff), so a Dr. Pepper float is entirely possible. :D

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Since we are talking about camera's and monitors I'l post a link here to a manual video switcher I ordered for the truck this week. I haven't got it yet but with the spec on sizing should fit nicely in the single DIN area below my radio. I don't have one of those fancy cassette decks like in Phil's truck above. :) The monitor has inputs for four camera's which I will have five( Over Drom, ET Hitch, License plate, rear trailer, passenger side trailer) and the switcher will allow me to have eight if needed.

Here is the link for the switcher.

Thanks again Everyone!

I ordered a monitor and camera from Steve - super guy and very helpfull - he actually referenced Jack and Rick :)

I was reading in the description of the monitor/camera setup that you can hook the monitor up so that it comes on when the truck goes in reverse. But it sounds like most everyone is hooking them up so they are "on" all the time so you can watch blind spots etc. etc. Thoughts on this?

If you did hook it up for only when the truck goes into reverse - where did you tap into the reverse signal?

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Since we are talking about camera's and monitors I'l post a link here to a manual video switcher I ordered for the truck this week. I haven't got it yet but with the spec on sizing should fit nicely in the single DIN area below my radio. I don't have one of those fancy cassette decks like in Phil's truck above. :) The monitor has inputs for four camera's which I will have five( Over Drom, ET Hitch, License plate, rear trailer, passenger side trailer) and the switcher will allow me to have eight if needed.

Here is the link for the switcher.

Nice switch. I may end up buying it and putting it in the dash as you suggest. What I'm doing now is using a custom rotary dial that I switch three sources through and send a selected one to my 4- input monitor (the 9" from Steve). I have not totally built that out yet...it is going into a switch blank when done. But I think the DIN located- switcher might be a little easier to work with.....

Curt, my monitor is on all the time. What is displayed varies depending on what I'm doing.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Curt,

I do the same thing. I like having the back of trailer and trailer passenger side camera on when passing. The trigger wire would be connected into a reverse signal from reverse lights or on a transmission reverse signal. I never did ask if you could watch the same camera if the trigger is hooked up. Also, which one would you have as a reverse camera? Drom-Hitch-Rear trailer? I use all of those in reverse situations. :)

I will let you know how the switcher works out.

Archived