Shredder

Raquel

What do you all use for a shredder? We used to have a heavy duty cross-cut shredder that would shred like 25 pages at a time. The trouble was that it weighed a ton and took up 2/3 of the basement. I've been looking for a new shredder, a cross-cut shredder, to shred certain documents while on the road. For the next 8 months we're good because Trish takes the documents to work but that won't be available after the end of the year. Can anyone help?

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

We have a Royal HT88 8-sheet shredder we bought on Amazon. We use the waste basket with plastic liners as a general trash basket, and stow the cutter head in a cabinet between uses. The head only weighs about 5 lbs.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Don't have any idea about the name but it is a small one that just sits on top of a trash can. It takes very little room and never fails to work. We went to all on-line statements and payments when we went full-time so we get very little stuff that we have to shred.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

We have a Royal HT88 8-sheet shredder we bought on Amazon. We use the waste basket with plastic liners as a general trash basket, and stow the cutter head in a cabinet between uses. The head only weighs about 5 lbs.

That's basically our approach, also.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Don't have any idea about the name but it is a small one that just sits on top of a trash can. It takes very little room and never fails to work. We went to all on-line statements and payments when we went full-time so we get very little stuff that we have to shred.

Same with us. We have no regular bills, account statements, or other personal data that comes in paper form today. We do still get a few tax related documents on paper and occasional other things that we shred, but very little.

I don't like burning paper in a campfire because of the problem of bits of burning paper that can float away.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have a ShredSafe cross-cut shredder. It comes with it's own waste basket. I don't remember where we got it, though...probably someplace like Staples. We also have a hand-held shredder that is battery operated. I don't have it available to me right now in order to see what brand it is; however, it is not a cross-cut shredder.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I don't like burning paper in a campfire because of the problem of bits of burning paper that can float away.

Besides, you have to have a campfire to do this. Although we spend most of our time boondocking, we are not campfire people, so wouldn't have anyplace to burn papers.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Why I bring this up is because of something that happened yesterday. Like many, we too have gone to electronic almost everything. However, we still get junk mail, like credit card offers. Usually I bring things like that home and Trish takes them to work or, I ask the person working in the office to shred it for me. Yesterday the only piece of mail we got was a credit card offer. I asked the woman in the office to shred it for me. She grabbed it out of my hand, tore it into 4 pieces and tossed it into the trash. And, she got huffy when I asked for the pieces out of the trash. Maybe we're too vigilant, but we don't let anything out into "the wild" that has our names, addresses, account numbers, our phone numbers, or anything that can in any way identify us. We even tear the labels off stuff we order from Amazon and shred them.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

If its just a few pieces - blender or food processor. First dry to get down to small pieces, then add a bit of water to make a slurry.

At this point you can simply discard the slurry or you can pour into the toe of a half pair of nylons, squeeze real tight and let dry. You now have a fire starter brick. You could even shave a bit of wax into the slurry to decrease the chances of it being blown out. (The paper acts as a wick for a candle)

The above is from a scout master I had 40+ years ago. He made these using an old milkshake blender. Stainless steel, weighed a ton and probably could have blended a car. The guy had a million uses for old nylons.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

If its just a few pieces - blender or food processor. First dry to get down to small pieces, then add a bit of water to make a slurry.

At this point you can simply discard the slurry or you can pour into the toe of a half pair of nylons, squeeze real tight and let dry. You now have a fire starter brick. You could even shave a bit of wax into the slurry to decrease the chances of it being blown out. (The paper acts as a wick for a candle)

The above is from a scout master I had 40+ years ago. He made these using an old milkshake blender. Stainless steel, weighed a ton and probably could have blended a car. The guy had a million uses for old nylons.

LOL! That's wonderful! What a great way to re-purpose junk mail.

Trish & Raquel

--------

I ordered one of these a few days ago. If anyone cares, I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziszor-33050-The-ZISZOR-Portable-Handheld-Paper-Shredder/29851713

This is the one I was talking about in my post, above. It is not, however, a cross-cut shredder which is what the OP wants.

Raquel, I do the same thing; i.e., remove labels from magazines or packages and shred them. I even shred envelopes that have our name on them!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Escapees mail service does not send junk mail to us.

But you have to pay extra for that service...and I don't believe they shred the junk mail, simply throw it away, unless they've changed their procedure recently. I particularly don't want stuff like credit card offers to be thrown into the trash!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

It really is not much money especially for the service we get. Not trying to talk you into it just offering a different approach to your problem. We have a small trashcan type shredder that gathers dust mostly. Gets used very little.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We've had one that sits on top a waste can for 9 years. Cheapo from walk Mart. It comes out of basement since a month when we get mail.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

There is a way to stop getting credit card offers in the mail. I don't remember the web site or the phone number but I'm sure you could google it. I stopped ours years ago and haven't received a single one since.

Rich

Yer supposta fold and twist it into a dense little "log". Makes for excellent fire starters.

I don't have that brand, but I did the same thing with the shredder from my home office when we sold the house.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

Archived