Hoses and Electrical Cords

Phil and Micky

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a DP that is on consignment.

The question I have is this:

Before I hit the road to begin an 1800 mile trip home with the new rig, what hoses and electrical cords am I going to need? It doesn't look like there is anything included with this DP.

Please advise,

Phil

Along the way we documented the accessories we choose to carry and why. Full-Time Life Style.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

It's kind of odd to not get at least a power cord from the dealer/seller. I would try and negotiate for the basic 25' potable water hose and at least a 10' sewer hose. They may not bite on that so you'll need your own for the return trip if you are staying in CG's. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a 25' grey water hose as well, but you could get by without one until you got home.

It's certainly not "all" you will eventually "need", but it's enough to get you home.

Just a small tip, but seeing as your dealer is so far away, I would most definately plan on a 3 day stay somewhere near the dealer and just play with everything before you start an 1800 mile home leg. If any repairs or futher instructions are needed it's a short haul back to the dealer.

What about electric cords? If we stay in a park somewhere along the way we'll need some power cords I should think. What would you guys recommend.

I'll check the rig when I look at it again tomorrow but I don't think it has any hoses or cords and PPL is selling it "As Is".

Thoughts,

Phil

Kirk has a ready supply of photos of the two most common electrical cords plugs you'll need on an RV. They are, basically, 30-amp and 50-amp. The 30-amp cord has three prongs and the 50-amp plug has 4 prongs.

Ask your dealer to throw those in with the rig. A 50-amp cable with plugs on each end can cost over $100 depending upon the quality and the length.

Once you figure out which one you need you can go to Walmart (or another RV store) and buy adapters so that you can plug your 50-amp plug into a 30-amp fixture (or your 30-amp into a 50-amp fixture). Because some RV parks have only one of them. They are a lot less expensive at Walmart. You might be able to buy an entire cable at Walmart (I sure wouldn't buy one from your RV dealer if he won't throw one into the deal for you).

So... figure out which one you need, if you can't get one tossed into the deal buy one somewhere else and get appropriate adapters so you won't be left holding the plug end in the rain.

Good luck. Have a safe trip. :)

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

You guys are scaring me a little bit. What ever you do try and find someone that can show you in person how to hook up your cords and hoses. Like countryguy said, I would have thought they would have shown you the cords just to show you that they had one and hopefully how to hook it up. Is this a new or used and did you buy from and individual or a dealer? Did anyone check out the rig for you? If not what's done is done but based on your statement of not having at least the power cord I think you need some assistance. Please don't take this as wrong. I have your interest in mind. I made some fairly serious mistakes when I first started from no previous knowledge and not being around other campers or having access to on line information. I would estimate that most rv'rs would be willing to point out some basics. Even a saleman at PPL should be willing to go over somethings with you.

Boy was that long and I have egg on my face. Reading your post #4 you haven't finalized the purchase yet I think. Require someone at PPL to show you some of this stuff as a condition of the sale even if it is sold as is. If some of it isn't there deal for it or use it to get a price reduction. The starter hoses are not that pricey but the power cord could be.

Bigjim,

I'm happy to know that you have my back. The DW and I spent the whole day at PPL looking at DP's... most of them with leaking windows and windshields. I talked to a few guys while I was there, one of which was doing an inspection for another party. He gave me a few tips but I was surprised to find that he didn't know anything about tire date codes. And I also talked to an old timer who buys and sells RV's as a hobby. He also gave me some pointers.

I got a salesman to get the generator fired up for us. It took some doing since the house batteries were nearly dead. He told me that's his biggest frustration in working at PPL because the rigs are all pretty much "As Is" and too many of them have batteries that are shot. He says he sometimes wonders how they even get some of these rigs to the lot.

They won't hook the rig up to shore power or water until we make an offer on it and I can understand why. They were moving about 10 rigs out of their lot today that sold over the weekend and there isn't anyplace to hook up an unsold rig to power and water... it's pretty much "take a number", get in line and wait your turn.

Anyway, after he got the generator fired up for us he said he'd leave us to ourselves to explore around the coach. We played with the slides... found some windows that are leaking... the front clear vinyl bra is crap... etc. I tried to get the refer to come on and thought it did but I couldn't quite figure out the "Norcold"... aka NeverCold.

The air conditioners work front and back as does the microwave. The inside of the coach barely looks like anyone has lived in it or ever used.

The DW and I owned a 20ft TT 35 years ago so I'm not completely new to this and I've worked on my own cars and trucks for years including engine rebuilds. And as an engineer I understand a little bit about how stuff works although as you probably know most folks keep engineers away from sharp objects.

I look forward to y'all helping me work through this purchase.

BTW PPL offers to check out the rig for around $350 bucks but that doesn't include engines, transmissions or the like.

Phil

While I view PPL in a positive light, having bought and sold a combined total of 5 RV's through them, there are downsides in dealing with PPL.

-- You are buying the RV from the private seller, not PPL. PPL is the middle man and has no vested interest in the RV's on the lot. (in some limited situations PPL does take a RV in trade, so I suppose in those cases PPL owns the RV).

-- If there are things you need, such as water hoses, or even a missing power cord (that is not supposed to be permanently installed), that is not PPL's issue. If you want it and feel the seller should provide it, then put that into the offer you make to the seller. Otherwise you need to buy it yourself, and you should have taken that into account when you made your offer.

A positive thing about buying through PPL, as versus buying directly from the private seller, is the financial part. PPL insures that if there is an outstanding loan it is paid off and a clear title is available. Also you shouldn't need to worry if any checks from either party are forged or invalid.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

PPL's inspection is a check out to be sure the RV parts work, but it is not a in depth checkout. They don't look for things which might go bad or are marginal. For example they don't do things like looking in all the nooks and crannies to see if there is water damage or wood rot in the walls.

You should get an independent inspector to check out the RV and then make an offer based on what the inspector finds.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

All,

Please let it be known that I have no gripe with PPL.

In trying to get this thread back on track...

The question I have is this:

Before I hit the road to begin an 1800 mile trip home with the new rig, what hoses and electrical cords am I going to need? It doesn't look like there is anything included with this DP.

Please advise,

Phil

You need a white potable water hose preferably 20' long. Also a pressure regulator.

GREEN 3/4" garden type hose if the rig has a rinse system for the black and grey tanks also 20'

A sewer hose and end fittings including a 90 degree end fitting and an adapter to make it fit 3" or 4" sewer connections and a clear straight adapter to put on the sewer connection so you can see it run clear when you get done flushing the tank.

You need either a 30 or 50 amp electrical cord depending what the rig is designed for and adapters to go from 50 to 30 and 30 to 50 amp.

I'd recommend a surge protector also.

Brian

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I have never seen any RV that didn't have a power cord to connect to shore power. A few have cords that plug into the outside of the coach at one end and to the power pedestal at the other, but even those come standard with the RV and most have a cord in one of the storage bays that have one end connected to the ATS and the other has a plug to connect to shore power. If the cord is not permanently attached to the RV then it is vital to know for sure what type of connector it uses to connect to the RV as there are several types. You need to have them show you the power cord just to know for sure what you have. The preferred choice is to have 50A service, like the first picture, but some have 30A(second picture) also and that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

41PHRJRwbQL._AA160_.jpg41tavH%2B3wUL._AA160_.jpg

The cords most available are extension cords and if you stay in RV parks you should not need one for your trip home. Most of us do carry one for occasional use, but I rarely ever need one.

41BBajSXy4L._AA160_.jpg 50A extension cord. 41nMELlnqbL._AA160_.jpg 30A extension cord

You will need a white fresh water hose and some type of sewer hose and fittings in order to connect city water and to empty the waste water tanks.

41745z2hI6L._AA160_.jpg Fresh water hose 41%2BcZuq3V-L._AA160_.jpg waste water hose & fittings 510QBb4A3uL._AA160_.jpg kit

There are starter kits available which have all of the needed items in them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm surprised that there is no power cord. The RV comes from the factory with a power cord....the previous owner had to have had a power cord. Is it possible that the cord was stored sparately to avoid theft....might be worth asking about. Personally I would insist on the power cord.

This is only my opinion but..... I feel that Consignment places are not far from an auction house where the owner is just trying to dump his rig becuase he couldnt be bothered trying to sell it himself. I never buy from places like this but would rather deal with a private sale with the owner.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

PPL delivers whatever the seller included. PPL does have a store on the premises where you can buy missing gear although Walmart is not far away if you'd prefer to try there first. For a trip that long I would buy the correct electrical cord plus adapters, a fresh water hose, and a dump hose. I would also buy a Progressive Industries EMS system, if one is not included, to protect all those electronics on board. Also PPL has a few sites where you can park while moving in and testing things to be sure all is as needs be. We stayed there several days while shopping for a rig we ended up not buying due to a recall on it so do your due diligence before buying.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Hi all,

Here is an update. The rig did indeed have a power cord. I don't know how I missed it but I did. It turns out that the seller and I could not reach an agreement so the hunt continues.

I want to thank everyone for their input. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I will need for the trip home. I've decided that after I buy a DP from PPL the DW and I will head up to Livingston for a couple of days to hang out at Escapees. Hopefully I can find someone there who will help me and the DW figure out how to use all of the stuff in the rig.

Phil

PPL delivers whatever the seller included. PPL does have a store on the premises where you can buy missing gear although Walmart is not far away if you'd prefer to try there first. For a trip that long I would buy the correct electrical cord plus adapters, a fresh water hose, and a dump hose. I would also buy a Progressive Industries EMS system, if one is not included, to protect all those electronics on board. Also PPL has a few sites where you can park while moving in and testing things to be sure all is as needs be. We stayed there several days while shopping for a rig we ended up not buying due to a recall on it so do your due diligence before buying.

Linda Sand

Linda, PPL has a very large parts store on the lot, well stocked with good prices, FWIW

Jim

Archived