Smart Car Driving

s106300

We will be purchasing a Smart on our way to pick up our HDT in South Dakota. Do any of you with Smart Cars ever drive it 400 miles in a day? Most of what I have seen on the board indicates folks use it only for light day trips.

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Did about 450 miles in ours last summer, making a parts run from above Destruction Bay to White Horse and back. Unfortunately, I was in the co-pilot's seat most of the time, and was a bit cramped, but we made it. (I drive the rig, she drives the smart)

For average sized humans running decent roads, 400 mi/day should be a piece of cake.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We drove from north of Seattle to the San Francisco area and back twice on vacation. DW can't sit as long as I can, so we split it up into a 2 day trip each way. One way is about 1000 miles. For us 450-500 miles is the limit. Pulling hills you kinda have to think like you're driving a loaded semi if the car is at full gross weight...run and gun to get your speed up before you hit the upgrade and plan your passing. Get slowed down behind something and you'll really have to flog it to get back up to the speed limit, and there isn't any extra horsepower. On flat ground it really likes to run 65+.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

I sometimes travel for work from near Nashville TN. to Jackson MS., about 430 each way. No problem really. Granted it's not like driving my Infiniti but it does OK. I've used the Natchez Trace and the interstate roads.

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

I did two trips of 500 miles each way (1000 miles round trip) last summer. Each 500 mile segment was done in a single day.

The car handles 75mph on the Interstate fine, as long as there is not significant (35mph or more) cross winds. If there was, then I slowed to 65mph.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks - we are currently planning to pick up the Smart in Denver and drive to Rapid City, SD to meet Gregg and pick up our HDT. One of us will be driving our 2006 Titan towing a trailer with everything we plan to put in the rig. Then, hopefully we will drop down to Knoxville to pick up our DRV. We were a bit concerned about how well the Smart would travel. Based on your inputs, doesn't, sound like an issue.

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Howdy!

We have done several turn around one day trips in our Smart from Livingston to Baton Rouge, no problems. Don't understand but have been asked on a number of timesf we take long trips.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

300 miles is about tops for us as we are a little older and do not have cruise , that should be a must, next time we will.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

We did a Bentonville Arkansas to Charlottesville VA in one day 1140 miles. We had packed for a 2 month stay with our Son. We were in our 2003 smart Cabrio with cruise. The smart has a ton of room. While it did not ride as nice as our Lexus it was not bad. The total for gas on the round trip was around $91.00 if I remember right. It was back in Oct 2010.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

1140 miles in ONE day???! Cray-Z!

Archived