Smart Car Driving

s106300

Did about 450 miles in ours last summer, making a parts run from above Destruction Bay to White Horse and back. Unfortunately, I was in the co-pilot's seat most of the time, and was a bit cramped, but we made it. (I drive the rig, she drives the smart)

For average sized humans running decent roads, 400 mi/day should be a piece of cake.

We drove from north of Seattle to the San Francisco area and back twice on vacation. DW can't sit as long as I can, so we split it up into a 2 day trip each way. One way is about 1000 miles. For us 450-500 miles is the limit. Pulling hills you kinda have to think like you're driving a loaded semi if the car is at full gross weight...run and gun to get your speed up before you hit the upgrade and plan your passing. Get slowed down behind something and you'll really have to flog it to get back up to the speed limit, and there isn't any extra horsepower. On flat ground it really likes to run 65+.

I did two trips of 500 miles each way (1000 miles round trip) last summer. Each 500 mile segment was done in a single day.

The car handles 75mph on the Interstate fine, as long as there is not significant (35mph or more) cross winds. If there was, then I slowed to 65mph.

Thanks - we are currently planning to pick up the Smart in Denver and drive to Rapid City, SD to meet Gregg and pick up our HDT. One of us will be driving our 2006 Titan towing a trailer with everything we plan to put in the rig. Then, hopefully we will drop down to Knoxville to pick up our DRV. We were a bit concerned about how well the Smart would travel. Based on your inputs, doesn't, sound like an issue.

We did a Bentonville Arkansas to Charlottesville VA in one day 1140 miles. We had packed for a 2 month stay with our Son. We were in our 2003 smart Cabrio with cruise. The smart has a ton of room. While it did not ride as nice as our Lexus it was not bad. The total for gas on the round trip was around $91.00 if I remember right. It was back in Oct 2010.

Dennis

Archived