Rear view camera wiring question

Or, hook it to the 12 volt power supply from the plug. Assuming you have 12 volt at the plug. If you do, it should be ignition controlled. But if you are looking at only the reverse function for backing up then Kirk is correct it should be wired to the reverse wire in the plug. I personally like all my cameras selectable by me, not by the "coach". Reverse is a reasonable exception to that, though. Triggering reverse automatically off the reverse wire is probably what most people prefer.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for you prompt response. Let me clarify my issue. When the left and right turn wires are disconnected it works in static mode. I believe the monitor wire is connected correctly as is the reversing wire. The problem is, when I push on the brake pedal, the monitor changes to the left camera, I assume since the brake light is sending power at all times when depressed and the turn signal interrupts the circuit to flash, it triggers the monitor to come on. Should I connect it to a front turn signal light without stop current instead of the rear. This is a system purchased from Leviathan Holdings. I am pleased with the system, just need to work out the wiring issue.

All of the monitors that I have owned were connected to be turned on manually and so stay on all of the time, or to be left so that they only come on when backing, via the back-up lights as the indication. I have never worked on one with multiple cameras, so am just guessing on this part, but I still believe that the installer should correct it to make it operate properly.

Do you have a camera on each side and one in the rear and it should select the proper camera now? I suppose you could use the turn signal to direct it to the proper camera, but that would be a flashing source unless it is connected before the flasher.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you. I have a camera on the cab for the 5r pin box, one on each side and one on the rear of the 5r. The reverse wire was connected, but I prefer to control the monitor to be able to see all four cameras when backing up. The left and right are supposed to be operated by the turn signals, and there in lies the issue. With the wires connected at the trailer plug, they both flash and the monitor is activated by the break. I honestly like the manual operation as opposed to the auto left and right, but would like to try the auto left/right if I can get it figured out.

The installer really did an excellent job on mounting cameras and running wires where they would not be seen or cause issues in the weather. I decided to try the actual connection on my own. Maybe bad idea :-?

Archived