How much weight are you carry

alan0043

Does Goodyear make a H rated tire for a 16" wheel ?

No. I don't think there is a 145 psi 16" rim.

We have been running Goodyear G114s for 7 years now with no problems. We age rotated them at 6 years.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I don't think there is a 145 psi 16" rim.

We have been running Goodyear G114s for 7 years now with no problems. We age rotated them at 6 years.

I've also been running the G114 tires for a long time. And I know many, many people that run them with few problems. Any tire can fail, for various reasons. But the G114 is very reliable in trailer service.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If I read the last comments correctly by Tireman then the tires met the specs? Correct?

Personally, I would never run a Goodyear G614. They have far too many failures in trailer application - especially if pushed to their limits. I learned that the hard way when I had 6 failures of them on my Newmar. Used on a light load then they seem to operate better. If you have a heavy load and are near the limits of a G614 my advice - for what it is worth - is to run an H rated tire like the Goodyear G114 (H - despite the G in the model number).

New Horizons should put H on everything they build, IMO. They do put H on everything over 40' as a standard now.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the ST type Goodyear Marathon?

I believe the G114 is a steel body "commercial" tire.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

I believe the G114 is a steel body "commercial" tire.

Yes, that's the tire that Jack is referring to. It's become a relatively common upgrade for those of us with very heavy trailers (some of us are already buying "commercial" tires for our tow vehicles anyway), and as he mentioned, becoming standard on some of the very heavy fifth wheel models offered by certain manufacturers..

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• 4 weeks later...

Jack, what is the cold tire pressure you recommend on them?

Roy

That depends on your load. Look at the Googdyear tire chart for your tire G114) and you will see the loading tables. I actually run 100 psi in mine which is more than I need. Do not go below the chart, and run at least 5-10 psi over the value indicated. If you don't know your side-to-side loading then I'd run probably 10 psi over your evenly divided axles. All tire positions need to be the same psi.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A couple items to consider when selecting tire pressure.

1. Multi-axle trailers place different and higher stress loads on tires than hotorized vehicles such as TV or Motorhomes.

2. For motorized vehicles you need to consider side to side imbalance and if you only have the total load on an axle I suggest you assume you have a 53/47 % split. Some folks are much worse and only a couple percent are actually 50/50 side to side but 47/53 is reasonable compromise.

3. Using the 53% figure and consulting tire inflation tables you can learn the minimum inflation needed to support the load. If you decide to run the minimum inflation then you need to be prepared to adjust (add) air if you get a moderate temperature drop as 10F drop you will see a 2% drop in inflation. For those that want the mathimatical proof and formula you cen read my POST.

4.To avoid chasing air pressure every couple of days I also suggest you run at least +10% above the minimum inflation pressure found in the charts for that 53% load figure

5. Multi-axle trailers suffer from a defect in suspension design which results in a significant increase in Interply Shear force. This is an internal structural force that is trying to tear the belts off the body. So no matter what your measured load is you will probably have your tires subjected to about 24% higher shear force.

The only way you can lower this exttra force is to run the pressure molded on the tire sidewall that is associated witht eh Maximum load. This will not get the shear force as low as seen in a motorized vehicle application but will be better than running just the inflation needed to support the load. For those that want to learn more about Interply Shear you can read my POST on the topic or jsut do a Google search on "Interply Shear RV tire"

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

So, based on the chart I found for my G114 LT215/75R17.5 tires (two axle, MorRyde 8K IS suspension with a trailer GVWR of 19K) I'll need to run my tires at 125 PSI cold. Any objections?

Also, while watching my TST 510 tire monitors, the hot, running pressure of these tires went up to between 135 and 145 PSI, with temps running in the 100 degree range (85 degree ambient, the other day) Again, any concerns?

Thanks,

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

So, based on the chart I found for my G114 LT215/75R17.5 tires (two axle, MorRyde 8K IS suspension with a trailer GVWR of 19K) I'll need to run my tires at 125 PSI cold. Any objections?

Also, while watching my TST 510 tire monitors, the hot, running pressure of these tires went up to between 135 and 145 PSI, with temps running in the 100 degree range (85 degree ambient, the other day) Again, any concerns?

Thanks,

Roy

2% pressure increase for each 10F increase in temperature is the "Ideal Gas Law"

Math proof HERE

So an increase from 85 to 100 would get you at least 3 to 4 psi BUT your TPMS is not reading the temperature internal to the tire but is cooled by external air going past both the TPM sensor and the valve stem. Tire is probably closer to 120 internal.

Plus there is moisture in the inflation air so 135-145 is not out of range,

Why do you need to run your tires at 125 psi.?

If you have tires on a multi-axle trailer you should run the pressure molded on the tire sidewall associated with the max load. The intent of this is to get the Interply Shear lower which should result in longer tire life.

Archived