How much weight are you carry

alan0043

FE That's a good example of a current complete and correct "Placard" in the photo you attached in post #47

On the other hand, Al is the victim of an older Cert Label with a number of issues.

1. Incorrect size identification it says "235-85R-16G" When it should say LT235/85R16 LR-G or maybe ST235/85R16 LR-G but who knows what tire RV guys that decided they were qualified to build trailers intended?

2. Incorrect size tire actually applied or incorrect GAWR or both

GAWR stated as 8,000# and the OE tires were LT235/85R16 LR-G and the label indicated 110 psi which is the tire max. The problem is the tire is only rated for 3,750# at 110 psi (500# lower than GAWR) so either the tire used was incorrect or the advertised GAWR was incorrect.

3. There is an ST235/85R16 LR-G on the market and it is rated at 3,960 @ 110 psi. Maybe that was the intended tire and the RV company had obtained a private ruling letter from the tire importer that allowed a load capacity increase to 4,000# Who knows?

While some might want to claim that #1 above is just a typo IMO when you take the information actually on the label you see a fundamental problem with an RV mfg that doesn't pay attention to Federal Regulations.

If an RV assembler can't get legal requirements correct, I have to wonder of their ability to do basic design calculations ( strength of frame and other components) or perhaps competent work on electrical systems etc.

This is not the first time I have seen a lable with these types of mistakes. Also I was informed by DOT that a private letter was used in a situation similar to item #3 above but of course the need to purchase a specific brand tire that was covered by the letter was not communicated to that RV owner.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FE That's a good example of a current complete and correct "Placard" in the photo you attached in post #47

On the other hand, Al is the victim of an older Cert Label with a number of issues.

1. Incorrect size identification it says "235-85R-16G" When it should say LT235/85R16 LR-G or maybe ST235/85R16 LR-G but who knows what tire RV guys that decided they were qualified to build trailers intended?

2. Incorrect size tire actually applied or incorrect GAWR or both

GAWR stated as 8,000# and the OE tires were LT235/85R16 LR-G and the label indicated 110 psi which is the tire max. The problem is the tire is only rated for 3,750# at 110 psi (500# lower than GAWR) so either the tire used was incorrect or the advertised GAWR was incorrect.

3. There is an ST235/85R16 LR-G on the market and it is rated at 3,960 @ 110 psi. Maybe that was the intended tire and the RV company had obtained a private ruling letter from the tire importer that allowed a load capacity increase to 4,000# Who knows?

While some might want to claim that #1 above is just a typo IMO when you take the information actually on the label you see a fundamental problem with an RV mfg that doesn't pay attention to Federal Regulations.

If an RV assembler can't get legal requirements correct, I have to wonder of their ability to do basic design calculations ( strength of frame and other components) or perhaps competent work on electrical systems etc.

This is not the first time I have seen a lable with these types of mistakes. Also I was informed by DOT that a private letter was used in a situation similar to item #3 above but of course the need to purchase a specific brand tire that was covered by the letter was not communicated to that RV owner.

It has been my observation that all steel cased 235/85R16G tires have the LT prefix and all polyester cased 235/85R16G tires have the ST prefix. Both designs are for trailer service and their load specifications mirror each other.

The ST235/85R16F has been on the market for a number of years now and it’s load capacity is 3960# at 95 psi. There is also the ST235/85R16E rated at 3640# at 80 psi. So there is nothing suitable in 16” tires for fitment to 8000# (GAWR) axles

It is a serious safety violation for any RV trailer manufacturer to fit 3750# tires to 8000# (GAWR) axles (unless it‘s a quad fitment). Such fitments should be immediately reported - with documentation - to the vehicle manufacturer. If they do not take immediate action, forward the information to NHTSA.

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'
Dodge DRW 3500 Turbo Diesel
USN Retired - DOD Retired

It has been my observation that all steel cased 235/85R16G tires have the LT prefix and all polyester cased 235/85R16G tires have the ST prefix. Both designs are for trailer service and their load specifications mirror each other.

The ST235/85R16F has been on the market for a number of years now and it’s load capacity is 3960# at 95 psi. There is also the ST235/85R16E rated at 3640# at 80 psi. So there is nothing suitable in 16” tires for fitment to 8000# (GAWR) axles

It is a serious safety violation for any RV trailer manufacturer to fit 3750# tires to 8000# (GAWR) axles (unless it‘s a quad fitment). Such fitments should be immediately reported - with documentation - to the vehicle manufacturer. If they do not take immediate action, forward the information to NHTSA.

FastEagle

Owner is writing the report for both RV MFG and NHTSA right now. I expect he will send before this weekend. He has good pictures of the Cert Label and is collecting tire DOT info as he already had 2 failures.

Not sure what the "fix" will be. IMO while replacing the label will bring the RV assembler in compliance the loss of 1,000# from RV load capacity is a significant departure. May depend on what the sales literature said. and what the GVWR is.

RE alternate tires. I have found a variety but I'm not sure if I trust what the importers are showing on the web sites. Some have the LT load but call say the tire is an ST but don't have TRA load capacity

Others even exceed the 3960 per tire as published by TRA for an ST in this size so IMO they are playing games to get their tire on a 8,000# axle.

FE as you and I both know getting the interpretation of FMVSS can be a challenge but if someone at the RV assembler office simply sits down and spends just a few minutes they should be able to get all their product labels both correct and legal. It's not Rocket Science just basic tire engineering. 5 or 10 minutes per RV design max should do it.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Sales literature probably won't help in this case, since Al's New Horizons is a custom rig.

I must admit to being somewhat surprised that - apparently - a high-ticket manufacturer like New Horizons made such a fundamental mistake. And, as you've pointed out, it calls a number of other design issues into question.

Sales literature probably won't help in this case, since Al's New Horizons is a custom rig.

I must admit to being somewhat surprised that - apparently - a high-ticket manufacturer like New Horizons made such a fundamental mistake. And, as you've pointed out, it calls a number of other design issues into question.

Only reason I bring up sales literature is that if NH advertised a certain GVWR or Carry Capacity based on2 8,000# axles then we enter e different ball park of what would be considered an acceptable remedy IMO.

If however the only place load capacity was ever mentioned was on the Cert label it may be harder to make a case for asking for an upgrade of tires to allow the RV to meet the advertised or stated capacity as they may try and argue that they never made any claims so they can't be held accountable for actually providing a certain capacity.

Only reason I bring up sales literature is that if NH advertised a certain GVWR or Carry Capacity based on2 8,000# axles then we enter e different ball park of what would be considered an acceptable remedy IMO.

If however the only place load capacity was ever mentioned was on the Cert label it may be harder to make a case for asking for an upgrade of tires to allow the RV to meet the advertised or stated capacity as they may try and argue that they never made any claims so they can't be held accountable for actually providing a certain capacity.

The OP has said his trailer is a 2007 model. That means the rules for certification labels, tire placards and trailer load information placards had the same rules in 2007 as they do today.

So the rules state that the certification label MUST be on the LH FWD external section of the trailer and not obstructed from clear view. It must display the trailer’s GVWR, GAWR, tire and rim sizes and the recommended (correct) cold tire inflation pressures appropriate for Original Equipment tires.

Elsewhere in the FMVSS regulations there is a requirement that the Original Equipment tires fitted to the trailer at the time of first sale MUST be the same size as what is depicted on the tire placard and certification label.

FastEagle

p.s. I know you know that info. It’s just for clarification. It seems the OP has not provided the trailer’s GVWR.

Oh, another hoop the trailer manufacturer must hop through is the hitch/pin weight. The manufacturer must establish a hitch/pin weight. It’s added to the total GAWR and the sum must equal or exceed GVWR.

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'

The OP has said his trailer is a 2007 model. That means the rules for certification labels, tire placards and trailer load information placards had the same rules in 2007 as they do today.

So the rules state that the certification label MUST be on the LH FWD external section of the trailer and not obstructed from clear view. It must display the trailer’s GVWR, GAWR, tire and rim sizes and the recommended (correct) cold tire inflation pressures appropriate for Original Equipment tires.

Elsewhere in the FMVSS regulations there is a requirement that the Original Equipment tires fitted to the trailer at the time of first sale MUST be the same size as what is depicted on the tire placard and certification label.

FastEagle

p.s. I know you know that info. It’s just for clarification. It seems the OP has not provided the trailer’s GVWR.

Oh, another hoop the trailer manufacturer must hop through is the hitch/pin weight. The manufacturer must establish a hitch/pin weight. It’s added to the total GAWR and the sum must equal or exceed GVWR.

FastEagle

Hello Men,

The first thing that I would like to say is "Thank You" for your help with my problem.

FastEagle, Please look at post 16 & 37 I have a the GVWR in the post. Maybe I could have done the post better. Sorry about that. The GVWR of the trailer is 18,750 lbs..There is no label on the left side of the trailer. The only label that is on the front of the trailer is in the center of the trailer under the overhang. It has the GAWR, which is 8,000 lbs., there is also the GVWR which is 18,750 lbs. but no tire size stated on that label. The only place that I have found stating tire size is on a label or sticker in the pantry.

After I finish this post I am going file the complaint with the NHTSA. I have all the info that I need now. The complaint looks simple enough with one page to fill out. I really don't think that anything will change my filing my complaint. But we will wait an see what happens.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

FastEagle

Glad to defer to you on details of trailer placard.

I thought the placement rules did change about '09 to the current requirement for Placard to be on front of the left side of trailer exterior.

I know my "2008" Coacmen motorhome has the info on a sheet of paper glued to the inside of the closet and does not have the colored Placard as used in new cars.

Are current lables for RV supposed to be the yellow & black as in cars?

I'm not sure where the placards are "supposed" to be positioned, but I sure as heck would not want it on the outside of my rig. First, it will degrade there over time. Second is screws up the looks of the trailer. Most trailers and motorhomes I have seen have it all inside in a cabinet someplace.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I'm not sure where the placards are "supposed" to be positioned, but I sure as heck would not want it on the outside of my rig. First, it will degrade there over time. Second is screws up the looks of the trailer. Most trailers and motorhomes I have seen have it all inside in a cabinet someplace.

The following information is from 49 CFR 567.4.

Except for trailers and motorcycles, the label shall be affixed to either the hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver's seating position, or if none of these locations is practicable, to the left side of the instrument panel. If that location is also not practicable, the label shall be affixed to the inward-facing surface of the door next to the driver's seating position. If none of the preceding locations is practicable, notification of that fact, together with drawings or photographs showing a suggested alternate location in the same general area, shall be submitted for approval to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C. 20590. The location of the label shall be such that it is easily readable without moving any part of the vehicle except an outer door.

The label for trailers shall be affixed to a location on the forward half of the left side, such that it is easily readable from outside the vehicle without moving any part of the vehicle.

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'

Are current lables for RV supposed to be the yellow & black as in cars?

Here is a reference of current authorized labels. Very informative document.

http://ebiz.dec-o-art.com/EnvAALogin/html/Catalogs/RV%20Catalog_web.pdf

FastEagle

On edit: This is what the regulation says about print --- "The lettering on the label shall be of a color that contrasts with the background of the label."

Everest 363K 38'

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

I look over trailers at RV shows very extensively - with the aim of looking at GVWR and CCC, etc. I RARELY see a trailer that conforms to any of this. They do have the placards...just not in the locations noted.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I went and took a look at our label on our trailer which is mounted on the outside left front side so the manufacturer got that part right. It is a triple axle with A GVWR of 15200# and that is indicated on the label.Also shown is each GAWR of 5200#. For the tires it shows 225/75 and rims it shows 15". PSI is marked as 65. So what is wrong here is the tires do not meet the 5200# rating. A St225/75R15 D range is only 2540# and an E rated tire would be OK but it needs 80psi. What also is odd is the tag clearly shows the 5200# axles which totals 15600 but only rates the trailer for 15200# which maybe implies a negative pin weight or we cannot put the whole load on the axles. Guess we may need some help writing some letters too.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Info needed to file complaint with NHTSA

VIN of the RV (this is on the placard)
DOT serial of the OE tires including date portion of the code
Statement of Max load at xxxpsi off the tire sidewall

size as stated on placard. BE EXACT. If there is an LT include the LT if no letters before the numbers then that is what you report is on the label.

When you identify the tires that came on the RV be sure to include letters (if any) in front of the numbers. Be sure to include the Load Range letter.

Here is an outline of what you might say in the complaint. - ADJUST to match your personal history. This outline was used by another person but I hope it gives you a feel for what should be included in the complaint. NHTSA is not interested in why and where you were traveling when you had a tire failure. If you had no failure then leave that stuff out.
Take some clear, in-focus pictures (use a camera if possible as smart phones don't always get close up focus shots.of the sticker/plate on the side of the RV. Copy the DOT, Size, load & inflation accurately off the tire.
Include a statement that you have pictures available.
+++++++++++++++++++
I want to file a complaint about the tires and tire information shown on the the label on my RV.
I have a 2xxx mmmmmm brand RV trailer model xxxxxxx. with VIN # zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
At this point in time after having had two of my four tires fail (make this statement only if true and accurate) from (blowout or tread separation) and the remaining two tires approaching xx years old I decided I needed to shop for new tires.
You can imagine my surprise when I started asking other RV owners for suggestions on what tires would meet the requirements of my RV application and it was pointed out that the original tires provided by mmmmmmmmmmm RV were not rated as meeting the load requirements as stated on the tire label.
My tire label clearly shows the GAWR is x0000 lbs while the Maximum load capacity of the two tires on each axle as only y0000#.
It has also been pointed out that the tire size as listed on the label "235-85R-16G" should in fact have identified as a LT type tire and not a commercial truck size tire. or say the tire size should have indicated ST225/75R15 or whatever is correct.
I believe there is a good probability that my two tires failed because they were overloaded according to tire company information but not overloaded according to mmmmmm RV company. I am sorry to report that I no longer have the two failed tires in my possession but the remaining two tires havd DOT serial AAAAAAA.
I can provide pictures of both the tire DOT serial and the Tire label showing the GAWR of x,000# and the tire size with inflation of qqqq psi.

There are approximately xxxxxxx miles on the tires on the RV with the failures occurring approximately after zzzzzzzz miles
+++++++++++++++

You can go through and add or delete the appropriate numbers.

Stick to the facts.. It would be good if you were more correct that the RV company when it comes to correct tire size nomenclature.

++++++++++++++++++++

NHTSA will ask for some personal info such as name, address, email; phone so they can contact you. They will not make this info public.

Let me know if you have qustions. My email is posted under my video picture on my blog.

Unfortunately all of the original tires are long gone and so is the first set of replacements. We bought the trailer used and the original owner had replaced 3 of the 6 tires due to blowouts. I would have to go back thru my records (which I will do when I fill out the letter) and I believe we went through at least another 5 more tires due to blowouts and had 4 that we replaced prior to being wore out or blown. All of those are not in our possession anymore. We have replaced all of the load range D tires (except our 2 spares) with load range E tires which now exceed the rated capacity of the axle. Maybe one of the spares is an original tire, I should be able to tell from the date code. The other spare I know I bought so we could carry two spares (which we used both in one trip already).

Here is our label:

IMG_20150510_184343_004_zpsdynup3e1.jpg

You will note it does not show a ST or LT designation nor a load range. It only indicates the 65 PSI which would mean a maximum of load range D.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Hi Everyone,

Update on NHTSA complaint. Complaint was filed on 05/08/2015. It has only been one week. But there is nothing to report. When I hear something I will post the results. I also sent a note to New Horizon as a heads up about the complaint that I filed with the NHTSA. I have nothing to report from New Horizon.

Al

• 3 months later...

alan0043, on 03 May 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:snapback.png

Yesterday I took a picture or two of the trailer tags. I have reservation weather to post the pictures or not. I do not want to cause any problems for the trailer manufacturer. I do not know if a recall would be needed or do any good. The engineers probably calculated the ratings very closely to each component. It would have been nice to see the trailer have 17.5" wheel installed from day one. Only the manufacturer knows the reason for putting on 16" wheels. The rating on the tires seems to be at the top of what the tire can carry if you use 80% of 18,750 lbs. (GVWR) will equal 15,000 lbs. With four tires times 3,750 lbs. (the rating on the tire) will equal 15,000 lbs. A recall could take years to resolve even if it gets resolved.

Al

Hi Everyone,

This is an update on my complaint to the NHTSA. There is nothing to report. I had a feeling that this would happen. I have not heard a thing from New Horizon either. I did send New Horizon a note early on as a courtesy. But no response.

New Horizon seems to me, to be no more different than any other RV manufacturer. It is all about the bottom line. A so called high end trailer is still a trailer. If the GVWR was one more pound, would the trailer manufacturer gone to a larger wheel and tire combo to carry the weight. You sure would hope so. It is interesting how trailer manufacturers push the limits. They talk about safety, but at what cost. If the trailer does not go over it's GVWR, why make it safer . Lets just push the limits. We have a bottom line on cost that needs to be met first. This includes so called high end trailers. Let the safety thing fall onto the consumer.

Thank you for listening, all comments are welcomed

Al

No RV manufacturer is going to communicate with you once you involve lawyers or government agencies. None I know of, at least. They cannot, for legal reasons.

I assume you discussed this entire situation with New Horizons BEFORE you took action? And made what you wanted from them very clear and succinct? Generally, they build trailers that have a LOT of carrying capacity. Usually 3000lbs is the minimum and I usually see 4000lbs. But things happen. Especially in the older trailers - not so much in the current line.

If NH put on tires that do not meet the weight ratings then that is a bad thing. If you bought a trailer used that had sub-standard tires on it you should have noticed that and corrected it immediately. But NH is to blame if they put on tires that cannot carry the load originally.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Well it looks like New Horizon knows hoe to play the system.

If you have two ST225/75R15 LR-D at 65 psi they are rated for a ttoal load capacity of 5080# so since the tirs can carry the GAWR the regulations have been met by providing that 80# margin.

Now the ommision of the "ST" will probably be considered non critical so at the most NHTSA might ask that new stickers & palcards be provided.

In the mean time I think a request to NH for a placrad that fully complies with FMVSS is in order. I don't agree with Jack that NH is prohibited from communicating with you simply because you identified the mistake.

Now when it comes to your actual measured loading I would suggest you try and end up with somethnig more like a 15% margin of tire capacity over the actual loads. You could achieve this by going to larger size and higher inflation and of course wheels that have the load and inflation rating to match.

I don't agree with Jack that NH is prohibited from communicating with you simply because you identified the mistake.

Now when it comes to your actual measured loading I would suggest you try and end up with somethnig more like a 15% margin of tire capacity over the actual loads. You could achieve this by going to larger size and higher inflation and of course wheels that have the load and inflation rating to match.

I did not say NH was "prohibited" from communicating to a customer. I simply said that manufacturers would not communicate, once you start down the legal path. Maybe "some" would, but my experience is that if you involve lawyers and government agencies then the object of those is not going to communicate to the customer.

My advice is to make sure that you have way more tire than you need. When I order rigs I do that. When I buy used rigs the very first thing I do is to ensure that I have excellent running gear. Tires and brakes are not things to shortcut on. JMO.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I did not say NH was "prohibited" from communicating to a customer. I simply said that manufacturers would not communicate, once you start down the legal path. Maybe "some" would, but my experience is that if you involve lawyers and government agencies then the object of those is not going to communicate to the customer.

My advice is to make sure that you have way more tire than you need. When I order rigs I do that. When I buy used rigs the very first thing I do is to ensure that I have excellent running gear. Tires and brakes are not things to shortcut on. JMO.

This was my first trailer. The problem was that I made an assumption. We all know what happens when you assume something. I assumed that a high end trailer that everything would be just fine. Whether the trailer was used or not. You would have thought the whole engineering package would have been thought out better. Well guess what, I was wrong. This is what happens when you are green behind the ears and make an assumption. If I would look for another trailer things would be different this time.

I was encouraged to file the complaint. Knowing inside nothing would come about any action on the complaint. I was very lucky that no accident happened. There would have been lawyers involved if there would have been property damage to someone else. The interesting thing is that be a consumer you also need to be an engineer. Why is that ? Because it still involves the bottom line on profit. How many people complain that their trailer can not handle the weight because of the running gear. Safety seems to come second and the profit line is first.

Thank you again for still listening, still open for more comments,

Al

If I read the last comments correctly by Tireman then the tires met the specs? Correct?

Personally, I would never run a Goodyear G614. They have far too many failures in trailer application - especially if pushed to their limits. I learned that the hard way when I had 6 failures of them on my Newmar. Used on a light load then they seem to operate better. If you have a heavy load and are near the limits of a G614 my advice - for what it is worth - is to run an H rated tire like the Goodyear G114 (H - despite the G in the model number).

New Horizons should put H on everything they build, IMO. They do put H on everything over 40' as a standard now.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Hello Jack,

I want to "Thank You" for answering my questions and trying to help. I think the tires would barley make the spec by 1 lb. if you use 20% as the pin weight. I feel better knowing that other people have had problems with these Goodyear tires. Any time I have had Goodyear tires on any vehicle I have always had problems. I will never buy any more Goodyear tires. I have upgrade the trailer to 17.5" wheels with Hercules tires. When the failures happened the trailer had no real weight in it. I was not carrying any water and the tanks where empty. I still need to get a wheel fairing to repair the trailer after the blow outs.

Does Goodyear make a H rated tire for a 16" wheel ?

Thank you again for your help,

Al

Archived