Boosting cell and wireless for remote boondocking

We just acquired a Wilson cell booster second hand, but it has no antennae. Thinking about getting a 12" magnetic antennae for the car top, and a 3' whip trucker antenae for the RV. And moving the booster from car to 5W as needed.

We use Verizon Jetpack for wireless and a smart Trakfone as needed for phone. Both are 4G when reception is good, and convert to 3G when reception is weak. Looking at the Wilson booster info, it appears to boost 3G frequencies, though some reviewers say it works for both 3G and 4G.

Should I be looking for 3G antenaes or 4G? Do some antenaes work for both frequency ranges? Suggestions on antenaes?? Thanks

If it is an older Wilson booster it will only work for 3G. Look up the model number and that will tell the tale. Depending on what you have it may not even work for Verizon frequencies. Hard to say without the model number.

In any case, I'd use an antenna that covered 3G and 4G if you are buying something. On the small mag mounts Wilson has a new one out that they use in some of their kits. It is low cost and covers the frequencies pretty well. It is suited for your express purpose. Look at the 301126 stubby antenna. Make sure you get new stock, because the old one simply does not cover the 4G bands.

If you want better performance you can look at the BoatAnt. But it is in a much higher price category.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Follow up question in regards to the BoatAnt, or RvAnt (Not quite as robust, but still seem to cover the same frequency(?) if I read it right.) They both mention AWS, but neither specifically mentions LTE. Does AWS mean that it automatically LTE too?

I have the the MaximumSignal 39" 9 DB that has covered the 800 mHz / 1900 mHz frequency:

http://www.maximumsignal.net/shop/Universal9-DB-39-inch-Magnetic-Mount-External-Dual-BandCellular-Antenna.html

This is connected to the Sleek V (Verizon only)4G version, with an older Droid RAZR M in the saddle running as a Hot Spot with Unlimited Data.

I've been waiting for MaximumSignal's new amp to get produced and shipped (As many of have, and will continue to do so in my case.) before changing things around. Either going to the Motorola Moto Turbo, or perhaps a Samsung S6 for the Hot Spot duty.

I've been looking at the BoatAnt as a replacement, and it looks (?) like it would be a good amp for my existing Sleek, as well as for the new Amp coming from Maximum Signal. Do I have this right, after my eyes glazed over from reading spec's and other reviews??

Appreciate opinions, and if funds were higher - other good antennas to consider? And also hope this would be helpful to others and the OP:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

That might work... but two antennas that close together can couple in strange ways.

WDR

The TV antenna is connected to nothing! :D Just a mount for the cell booster antenna which can be pointed to the strongest cell signal!

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

That might work... but two antennas that close together can couple in strange ways.

WDR

In this particular case those antennas are fine like that.

However,two cellular antennas real close together are not good.

I generally try to space antennas 4-6' apart depending on their frequencies. But TV will coexist with anything else you put on it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

I also live in the sticks here in the Florida Everglades and have limited cell service. We have been using a Wilson Sleek 4G-V cradle with our Verizon Samsung Slll phones for cell service. We have Comcast for internet as we need constant, fast internet for working but can use our phone hotspots if needed. With the Wilson cradle we have a Wilson trucker antenna mounted on a pole off our fifth wheel ladder. Even in the cradle, which limits location and one phone at a time, we don't get good service and drop calls.

Can we use the trucker antenna with a wi-fi amp or if not what would be our best option as we plan on staying for a while?

Thanks

Archived