Heat runs in off position

dsvohio

On our first time out in our new to us 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 35 U the floor register just behind the drivers seat kept putting out heat . The toggle switch on the dash was in the off position. It toggles back and forth between low high and off. We had it level in the off position. What are we not doing right or is something broken.?

Does the heat come out when not moving? The reason I ask is that mine will put out heat if the temp. setting is turned up but the blower is off. You only notice the heat when travelling. When I want just a little heat, that is what I do. Once the temp. control is turned down, the heat quits. Just a thought . . . Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

First, let me say welcome to the Escapee forums! We will do our best to assist and support you.

I'd assume that you have a gas chassis in your Adventurer, as I don't believe that any of them ride on a diesel? Based upon that assumption, it would seem that the heat has to be coming from the front engine. I have never seen any chassis heater that supplied heat to a floor vent so I am suspicious that the problem may not be with your chassis heater but with the duct work to the floor vents. If you look in the storage bay under the floor near that vent you will probably see the duct that supplies the floor vent. That would be the first thing that I'd take a look at since it sounds as though the heat is coming from your engine and somehow entering the furnace duct-work.

Have you looked at this problem with the RV sitting still? If the source is your chassis heater then turning on the blower with the RV parked but engine running should cause heat to come from the vent and the fan speed should effect the amount. If most of the heat is only when you are driving that sounds like the air is being forced into the system due to travel speed. The other thing I am wondering is if you are certain that the heat source is that floor vent? It is very possible that you have engine heat coming off of the exhaust headers and up through the floor due to not enough insulation there and not from the floor vent. I'd have someone check for air movement from that vent while driving, if you have not already done so. The exhaust headers of gas motorhome engines get very hot while traveling and will cause heat to come up through the floor unless it is very well insulated. With our gas chassis, I added additional foil wrapped, foam insulation to the floor of both the driver & passenger sides for that same issue. It was more of an issue on the driver's side in ours also but an infrared thermometer could easily detect the rise in floor temperature when traveling in hot weather until I added the insulation.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived