Boondocking in the Temple Canyon/ Goblin Valley/ Hanksville Ut area

charlyhors

Hi. Well my title really says it all. If anyone has experience with these areas, south of I-70, west of Green River Utah. I'm Most interested in the availability of good spaces, and where a 36' 5W set up for LT use could navigate OK. We're pretty new to this lifestyle, but Not new to this area of Utah. I've just never camped or Driven in a truck and fifth wheel in this area. We think we'll be out to the Goblin Valley area in a week. Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated - if anybody's taste goes for this area. The places I've truck camped out there in my younger years were often spectacular in canyons, mesas, red dirt roads, pinions, junipers and dust. Any of you camped around this country in RV boondocking rigs? B)

If you are Escapees member get the Days End Listing. Days End lists a large number of boondocking sites in the area. I believe it is $10 for the list, but if you provide several updates or feedback reports in a year, it is free after that.

Valley of the Goblins State park has a nice campgound, dry camping only.

For boondocking, from SR-24, turn west on the paved road going to Valley of the Goblins SP. About 3.5 miles down this road, it takes a sharp left heading to the SP. Just after the left turn there are several dirt loops on the right (west). Each loop has 1-5 parking areas with great views. Caution, if it is raining or lots of thunder storms these loops can get muddy and slippery.

If you want more remote boondocking, explore with your tow vehicle, the dirt road which continues west instead of turning south to the SP. While the road gets bumpy and rocky, you should be able to slowly pull your 5'er up this road. You do need to check it out with the tow vehicle before taking the trailer in.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Boondocking along the road going to Goblin Valley was very poor. At best we had one bar of Verizon. We didn't have a cell phone booster to see if that would help.

If you boondock along I-70 between Green River and west to about exit 91 with a clear view of Cedar Mountain to the north you should have good cell phone/internet signal. The cell phone tower for the area is on the top of Cedar Mountain in clear view of I-70.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Hi. Well my title really says it all. If anyone has experience with these areas, south of I-70, west of Green River Utah. I'm Most interested in the availability of good spaces, and where a 36' 5W set up for LT use could navigate OK. We're pretty new to this lifestyle, but Not new to this area of Utah. I've just never camped or Driven in a truck and fifth wheel in this area. We think we'll be out to the Goblin Valley area in a week. Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated - if anybody's taste goes for this area. The places I've truck camped out there in my younger years were often spectacular in canyons, mesas, red dirt roads, pinions, junipers and dust. Any of you camped around this country in RV boondocking rigs? B)

I'm not clear on how far you would want to go on the gravel roads and how much time you want to spend in this area to boondock.

If you are willing to take your time, drive slowly and carefully, the gravel/dirt road from I-70 exit 131 going N to Cleveland is usually OK for a 5th wheel. It will be bumpy, and some washboard. The route is about 45 miles, but it you take a week or two to drive it, it is can be a fun place to visit. If there is rain in the area, don't go.

To start, you can boondock just off of I-70 exit 131. Some maps mark the exit as plus or minus 5 miles from 131. You can park here and take your tow vehicle and explore the road to the N. If you go up the road, there are BLM CG's on both sides of the San Rafael River along this road, but probably no cell coverage as the CG's are behind a ridge. From the river going N the road goes up a beautiful canyon. After you exit the canyon there are lots of BD sites E & W.

You can also start in Cleveland the explore S, E and NE. All good gravel/dirt roads, but not for rainy weather.

If this interests you, send me a PM or reply in this topic and I will give more info from our stays & explorations in the area.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Thanks all! Al and Sharon, the exit 131 going north along the San Rafael sounds like fun. I've truck camped in that general area many times, but never w an eye to RVing. Good to know that will work. Would love to see some of your photos or blogging about trips in that area. I think for this 4-6 week exploration, we're going to start by booning off the Temple Mountain road - the road that goes into Goblin Valley, and keeps going on past it. We'll probably camp on that road, somewhere on the west side of the reef. May get to the area you suggested N of I-70. We'll see. Our email is chasjeanw@gmail.com

Thanks all! Al and Sharon, the exit 131 going north along the San Rafael sounds like fun. I've truck camped in that general area many times, but never w an eye to RVing. Good to know that will work. Would love to see some of your photos or blogging about trips in that area. I think for this 4-6 week exploration, we're going to start by booning off the Temple Mountain road - the road that goes into Goblin Valley, and keeps going on past it. We'll probably camp on that road, somewhere on the west side of the reef. May get to the area you suggested N of I-70. We'll see. Our email is chasjeanw@gmail.com

I don't remember any dips which would cause the rear of your 5'er from dragging going N from I-70 to the San Rafael, but we were in a motorhome and our overhang wasn't real long. Coming S from Cleavland, the gravel/dirt road was very good. Some washboard, but no deep dips.

Here is a link to maps of the San Rafael area.

There is a BLM camping area at the Wedge Overlook. You can take your chairs 50' from your camping area to the edge of the rim and watch the sun rise/sunset, or just watch the river down below erode the canyon. :)

The%20Wedge%20Overlook_zpsmnibdfsr.jpg

Cedar Mt Recreation area is about 20 miles from Cleveland, about 8 miles was washboard when we were there, but the views are fantastic. A couple of spots you can boondock with a 50' walk to the view below. More BD spots with views of open sky and open country, but not on the cliff.

View%20from%20Cedar%20Mt%20Camp%20m_zps3

Two Boondocking spots on the cliff at Cedar Mt

Cedar%20Mt%20Boondock%20spot%202_zpschf8

Cedar%20Mt%20Boodock%20spot_zpstyrmtjgd.

The road going down Buckhorn Draw to San Rafael River. There are some BD spots along the road.

Rd%20Down%20Buckhorn%20Draw_zpszf61pnp6.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful photos, guys! I've been to the Wedge and Buckhorn Draw before. Both lovely places, but always with a small pickup tent setup, and many years ago. We're in the Southern San Rafael now, near Goblin Valley, and considering where to go next. Been raining and cooler here last few days though. Raining right now, Tuesday night. Beautiful though!

Archived