Hayes Brake controller t2000

tyates007

Any help with installing Hayes brake controller on my 2000 T2000. In the Volvo I tied into the air line that was behind the instrument cluster. I did a search and found a thread but it appears to not be available any longer. Which air line do I tap into? Which wire would I tap for brake light switch? Thanks in advance for the help.

The Hayes installs like the MaxBrake and BrakeSmart. And where else to look besides the Resource Guide.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I used a BrakeSmart in my T2000 until I switched my trailer to the BluDot system, which also required a connection to the air brake circuit.

The pressure transducer (or the fitting for your tap line, if the Hayes is laid out differently) will screw into a port in the stop lamp switch, which is located under your instrument panel, on the driver's side. They didn't publish T2000-specific instructions, but I was able to figure out what I was looking for and install mine with the help of these instructions: http://www.patriotperformance.com/pdf/peterbilt330.pdf

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Hi Everyone,

I have a question on the install of the Hayes controller. Does the controller need to have a 20 amp circuit breaker ? I say a video from etrailer and they talked about installing a 20 amp circuit breaker with the controller.

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Could (would?) you hook a Hayes controller to the trailer service line (or gladhand)? You'd need to cap the supply/emergency line, obviously, but you'd gain use of the johnson bar that way, right?

Connecting it at the stop lamp switch, as in the BrakeSmart directions that I linked to, will enable the actuation of the trailer brakes via the Johnson bar. That -- and the fact that the stop lamp switch is in close proximity to where he'll likely install the brake controller -- are what make it such a desirable location to tap the system.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived