Web site for safe roads for rv's?

PAylor

Hi all,

We're planning some travel. I was wondering if anyone knows about any Web sites for rv friendly roads.

We have both copilot and our Garmin programmed for the length and height of our fifth wheel but I'd love to find a site that other rvers share experiences.

Thanks!

I like having a copy of the Motor Carriers Road Atlas in the truck. Doesn't need the internet, WiFi, cell phone, batteries or anything else and doesn't break if dropped. Other than needing reading glasses for us old folks, it will work every time, all of the time.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We like using 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. It comes in West and East editions. It gives you a full description of what to expect.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Atlas mentioned above by Georgia Hybrid shows what are called Designated Highways. Those are roads that have been deemed suitable for tractor-trailer travel. I don't know exactly who makes said designation or exactly what the criteria are for designation but from traveling on said routes for many years we have found them to be suitable for travel with our big rig. I have assumed if a semi can get down these roads I might be able to do the same. The Atlas has a section of low clearances for each state on the Designated Routes. It is worth checking before traveling a new route. The Atlas is not cheap, about $75 at truck stops. The other useful tool is Google Earth Maps where you can zoom in close and look at turns, camp grounds and other features that might cause you trouble. We use a Rand Mcnally GPS but do NOT rely on it exclusively. All new routes are carefully planned and reviewed for any potential problems before being programmed into the GPS. Many RVers nightmares usually includes scenarios with low clearances and impossible to make tight turns. Pre planning helps one sleep better at the end of the day. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

It is not easy but Grumpydoc sums it up. We use all of those tools and have so far not had a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

If you are trip planning, Good Sam on their website has a trip planner where you put in data like how tall your RV is and other preferences, toll roads

yes or no, shortest route etc., and they will route your trip for you. I have used this service a number of time and I then compare it with my GPS.

Good Luck

You can get the truckers atlas, mentioned several times above, for $40 on Amazon. Get the laminated spiral bound version as it will last much longer than the paper version. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Same here on the Motor Carrier. If its a red road were on it. Ours is the large print and we love it. I will do everything in my power to stay off the interstate

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Barns and Noble has the Rand McNally motor carriers road atlas on sale for $14.87 right now. I paid the full $19.95.

I have the new one in the MH, the old one on my desk for planning purposes.

I do have a website you will find helpful though:

National Traffic and Road Closure Information

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived