Wife helping driving and backing --

I was watching a group come into a camp loop a few years back. The husband stopped at the site and his wife and two teenage daughters got out of the motor home. all three ladies went to the back of the site as the husband carefully started to back into the site. I watched the three ladies frantically waving and gesturing to "turn this way" and turn that way. I looked at the husband/father who was carefully backing in like a pro, not paying any attention to the three who were waving their hands and arms. The thought that entered my brain was, "What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

I guess he had gotten use to his life as the only male and made the best of it.

On the OTHER HAND: MY DW does an excellent directing me after we had sat down, discussed what our objective is and the best way to reach it.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

I agree with all the above comments and I do the driving and backing as DW just flat out refuses to drive the HDT. It is what it is and hopefully if something happens my brother and OTR will be available or even someone from here. I think the biggest problem we have had is DW not being able to anticipate what needs to be done soon enough to get into the spot exactly where we want. It is like she wants the 5er to straighten immediately and as we know that cannot happen. That is improving though and getting better all the time. We do not have it perfect but I tell her we are close and we are.

For navigation we decide where we want to go. I let GPS with trucker mapping rout us. Wife uses the Trucking Atlas Maps to decide how she wants to go. We then compare and modify as necessary. On occasion we have seen some great country we would not have by what turned out to be a mistake but turned out well worth it in the end. We don't like doing all Interstate Highways anyway. As we drive down the road she keeps the maps handy and verifies what the GPS says and has saved our bacon a few times. In heavy traffic, etc. she helps with lane selection and it helps a lot as well.

It really is all about getting comfortable with each other and it makes the whole RV experience amazing, even the challenges. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

The only person that can back me up is my wife. She is the only person with as much at stake at me to not hit anything. In addition, she is very good at it. When someone else tries to help, we're polite about it, but I ignore everyone else. I drive and she navigates. We both like it that way.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

My wife has been a school bus driver for the past 20 years (as well as a para-pro teacher). When she's driving if I get up to go pee I get put on report.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived