Can a Verizon MiFi 6620 be plugged in 24/7

I have a USB 727 and a CradlePoint 500. It is plugged in 24/7. Has been since 10/08. It works perfect, but with 3G coming to a end, considering options.

Can the current Verizon 6620 MiFi thing be plugged in 24/7. I have read you need to let it run down weekly. I would be using it like my present air card/router. Or will it work with the battery removed?

OR is there a air card/router combo that would replace my current set up?

Please type slow and no big words. I am old and not up on all this new stuff.

Thanks Jim

Fulltimming since 2000. Now 3/4 timming
2012 Ram Laramie CC, DRW, 2014 3150RL Montana
Sent via Verizon USB727 from somewhere.

I have a USB 727 and a CradlePoint 500. It is plugged in 24/7. Has been since 10/08. It works perfect, but with 3G coming to a end, considering options.

Can the current Verizon 6620 MiFi thing be plugged in 24/7. I have read you need to let it run down weekly. I would be using it like my present air card/router. Or will it work with the battery removed?

OR is there a air card/router combo that would replace my current set up?

Please type slow and no big words. I am old and not up on all this new stuff.

Thanks Jim

You can leave the MiFi plugged in to the charger all the time. You do not need to "let it run down". It won't work with the battery removed.

If the MiFi is charged and connected to your phone instead of the charger it can serve as an auxiliary battery for your phone.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Thanks for the replies. I just hate change. I got 3 laptops, a printer, a nexus and a phone on the CradlePoint. Can I put the same SSID and pasword in the 6620 and everything will still work? I like to never got the printer to work wireless.

Using MiFi term generically, you cannot always leave a MiFi plugged in all the time. Some MiFis are not designed for being continuously plugged in.

I had a Pantech MHS291L (ex Millenicom/Verizon) and and leaving it plugged in resulted in a battery that popped the cover off when the battery expanded.

Since I use a Surf SOHO 4G Router, my solution was to buy a USB Modem and moved the SIMM card to it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I replaced a Cradlepoint 350 and modem (AT&T) with a Verizon 5520 MIFI. It was never satisfactory. It would drop our wireless printer every time we went to a park with a large amount of WIFI activity, and my wife could never connect with her Kindle when in the bedroom. I finally bought a Cradlepoint IBR600LPE router which has a built-in modem. Got a Verizon simm for it and it works flawlessly. We can get internet service in places where the smart phones say no service. I do have an external antenna, but no amplifier. The IBR600 is expensive, but worth it.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

If I go the Cradlepoint IBR600 route, the 3G store shows a sim card option for $10. When you buy the router and sim card, (I have a existing month to month) do I just call Verizon and give them what??? to transfer the service to the new IBR600 from my USB727?

While it is pricy, compared to a 6620 jet pack if one works and the other one is iffy and drops out the money becomes irrelevant..

Please keep the thoughts coming.

Jim

I had been using a USB727 for several years before getting a new Jetpack MiFi 6620L about 2 months ago. So far it has worked flawlessly for me and I'm very satisfied with it. I use it as a WiFi host for 2 Apple MacBooks and an iPhone. I don't have a WiFi printer or any other WiFi devices using it.

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Archived