Bisbee-a little town with a big history

Dreamin

Be sure to stop in at Old Bisbee Roaster Coffee Shop. We have been getting some of the best coffee beans from Seth since 2002. Where you can get 2 pounds of coffee roasted and shipped the same day (shipped priority mail (2day) for free). As we are going fulltime in 6 weeks, we plant to continue with this coffee service. We have been spoiled for many years with such good coffee.

http://www.oldbisbeeroasters.com/

We are in the Benson SKP park now. We are like Bill Joyce about Tombstone and Bisbee. You can day trip out of here to so many places. Last week we went thru Tombstone(had been there before) and on down to Bisbee, then onto the border town of Douglas and back to Sierra Vista. Took in Kartcher Caverns last week. Saghura National Park on both the west side and the southwest side of Tucson. Monday we went to the Pima Air and Space museum. Yesterday, down I-19 to Green Valley and the Titan II missile silo, then continued on down I-19 to Nogales. There is RT 82 that comes out of Nogales thru Patagonia and Sonita into Sierra Vista. A very beautiful drive. I-19 out of Tucson to Nogales at the border is sort of "cute". The mileage on the big green signs is in kilometers, "mile" markers are in kilometers and facing you as you drive like any other mileage markers. But they do have our mileage markers also, but they are planted parallel with the lanes, as you must look at them out the side window glass. The speed limit is in MPH. They really out did themselves.

We love Bisbee for its funky vibe and find Tombstone a tourist trap. But we also know others prefer Tombstone to Bisbee, so decide for yourself. We enjoyed staying closer than Benson to really see them both, but have also driven down from the SKP park.

Bill , those are my sentiments exactly. I was very dissapointed with Tombstone. The fake cemetary was what put me over the edge. Its actually the only place in the US where I left feeling ripped off. I will never go back.

Have you seen it?......its the fakest looking cemetary I've ever seen. Even my wife who loves exploring cemetaries called it stupid....and you don't argue with her....if you know what I mean. LOL.

And then...we certainly didnt like the fact that you have pay to see a gunfight...not that they are much to begin with. The whole place just left a me with a sour outlook on it.

Heck you can go to Oatman , AZ and see a gunfight ......not that they mean much....for free.

Hmmmmm.... from this post it kinda sounds like the touristy things dont impress me much......I'm right....they don't.

We haven't been to Tombstone since the 1980s but it didn't used to look fake. However, recent photos of the more famous tombstones (Lester More, etc.) do look like something you'd see in a Halloween haunted house. Even Disney would do better.

Yet the original cemetery, somewhat north of downtown as I recall, looked pretty real in 1984.

Bisbee always looks real. And if you get a chance... get to see Cochise's Stronghold. I've camped in there several times and it's always beautiful. I don't think you could get a big rig in there though. I was in a pickup truck with an Alaskan camper on it when I was there.

Easy forays into western New Mexico, too.

WDR

I'm not disagreeing about how it looks and I have seen it but maybe 4 years ago was the last time. I can't prove it but I tend to think it is the cemetary but "done up" so to speak. At the very least if they didn't do anything there very well might be nothing there to see. I didn't see the gun fight there but have seen them elsewhere. The latest was in the AM before Grand Canyon train ride out of Williams,AZ and it was basically free but tips encouraged. On the return trip the same guys stage a train robbery again for tips. Heck I even got to see a hanging at Chama,NM a few years back. Shhh, don't tell but it was a stuntman with a harness under his shirt. It was done up kind funny and wasn't bad for free.

Well yesterday they sort of had a real gunfight in Bisbee. Seems a guy that had been arrested about 35 times in the Bisbee area harassed a lady behind the Safeway store. The Bisbee police responded and shot and killed him.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-central-southern-az/other/bisbee-police-officer-involved-in-a-fatal-shooting

Archived