New gas cook top

We finally got tired of the little 3 burner RV stove and now have a house hold 4 burner to put in its place. Its still only 24" wide but its bigger, right? The new unit came with the nozzles for the natural/LP gas conversion but there is no regulator. I have a reg from another house cooktop that I never used and it is set for LP. I plan to install it but it got me to wondering. Why is the stove/cook top the only gas appliance in the RV that has its own regulator?

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

So the RV stove you took out had a regulator??? If it didn't have a regulator, then I would think you only have low pressure coming to the stove.

I think I have heard that a few RV's have stoves that have a built in regulator, but the propane lines I have seen in the 5 RV's I have owned were all operated off of low pressure from the regulator on at the propane tanks. Since there wasn't any high pressure lines in the RV's there was never any need for a regulator at the appliances.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I agree with Al. The "regulator followed by a regulator" comes up frequently when people discuss connecting an outdoor grill to the RV propane sources. People have problems because the propane tanks almost always have a pressure regulator (reducer) at the tank manifold. Having yet another regulator connected to that same gas line makes the pressure too low to sustain a flame.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

My RV cook top has it;s own regulator because it operates on a lower pressure than the low pressure supplied by the house LP regulator. I don't know why.

I do know the reason for having two small burners in the back and one in the front is because of code requirements regarding burner BTU output and spacing to the walls.

It may not matter but your residential cook top may violate the RVIA code.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

You are right Clay.

I asked the propane guy in town since no one had the fittings I needed. He said that there was no need to put the reg in, But you can. It wont hurt. He thought I must be a handy guy to be able to do all this myself. I said (tong in cheek) I figured that since I was certified to pump propane in TX, I should be able to work on cook tops too? Right?? :)

He offered me a job pumping propane, painting and the odd job. I said great. I'll be here all summer. Go figure.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

We have a 4-burner cook top but the DW insists that she only needs two. This discussion was prompted by so many brand new very big rigs out there with what appear (to me) to be tiny cooking facilities. She might be trying to help me buy one of those big rigs but she's been married to me long enough to realize that the chances of me buying a $400,000 RV fall into the category of "imaginary numbers".

So I've been watching and, sure enough, even i the SnB she only uses two burners and the microwave. In fact, in the SnB she has a glass cover on two of the burners to give her some extra counter space.

I wouldn't be a fan of the 3-burner stove top because that makes it difficult to position a griddle. But a stove top with just two burners just doesn't look right.

And thanks for clearing up the issue about the regulators. Another RV mystery laid to rest. )

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We are very fortunate that Beaver installed a 2-burner residential Gaggenau cooktop in our MH. I was amazed to discover that this unit has a retail of ~$1k. The good news is that it is so much better than any RV cooktop we've ever had. The larger burner is 9,000 Btu and I think the smaller one is ~6,000. It has 120V spark ignition. We have a griddle which fits across the two burners. I've come to realize that many of the complaints about LP cooktops come about because the stuff that is installed in RVs is largely junk. Even though we use an induction burner for much of our cooking, we're not interested in removing our gas cooktop.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 4 weeks later...

We finally got tired of the little 3 burner RV stove and now have a house hold 4 burner to put in its place. Its still only 24" wide but its bigger, right? The new unit came with the nozzles for the natural/LP gas conversion but there is no regulator. I have a reg from another house cooktop that I never used and it is set for LP. I plan to install it but it got me to wondering. Why is the stove/cook top the only gas appliance in the RV that has its own regulator?

I installed a 24" Smeg residential cooktop in my coach and it has a regulator in it. I suspect that the Smeg needs less than the standard 11" WC pressure. Since your cooktop came with no regulator I would suggest installing it without the regulator. If it doesn't work right, then try the additional regulator.

One problem with my cooktop is that the burners and grates are not fastened down and bounce around when on rough roads. I have to remove them prior to traveling.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Archived