Smart Car Advice

bmzero

It's funny you said that. I stopped by Starbucks this morning (yeah, I know - Smart car at Starbucks = hippie, agreed, but...) and a guy walked in and asked if that was my Smart car outside. He said he thought it was funny how he "just had to park his big truck" beside my little car. Then, he proceeded to tell me that he has a "big truck", which was a Dodge 1500, so he can pull his "huge" camper. It was all I could do not to make him drop to the floor and give me 20 pushups.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then, he proceeded to tell me that he has a "big truck", which was a Dodge 1500, so he can pull his "huge" camper. It was all I could do not to make him drop to the floor and give me 20 pushups.

It is hard not to laugh out loud when that happens. But they typically do not understand our trucks, etc. I'll engage sometimes, but I've found after 13 years of HDT use for pulling a 5er that it is often better to just keep my mouth shut... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

A few years ago we both rode Goldwings and pulled trailers , and everybody in our club had a trailer and some were large, try looking in the large motorcycle areas. we pulled across the US twice.

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

I'm going to start off the cargo build with a rear rack to hold a couple of bikes. I have seen several rack systems out that use the rear bumper bolts. I'm going to do a hybrid approach that uses the bumper bolts and a hitch receiver tube for stabilization. Should be more than enough to hold two bikes and gear. If that's not sufficient for storage, I'll look into building a trailer as well.

I'm not real excited about hanging my bikes off the back of the Smart car using only those two bumper bolts. The hitch connection will add some much needed triangulation.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the main frame done for the cargo rack last night.

Storage-Rack-1_w.jpg

I have some aluminum expanded metal for the platform. It will go on this weekend after the rest of the fabrication is done.

Storage-Rack-4_w.jpg

The receiver hitch will go on this evening. Then, I can build the removable piece that triangulates the rack to the hitch, to relieve stress from the bumper bolts.

The cross braces are offset differently to line up with the different lengths of my bicycles. The mountain bike is a few inches longer than the road bike, so the fork mounts needed to be positioned differently from each other. The fork mounts will bolt to either side of the rack and needed to be mounted directly to a cross brace.

Storage-Rack-3_w.jpg

Curt's website doesn't show one that fits a Brabus, Neither does U-Haul. It's probably the exhaust that gets in the way. With your skills, you'll make it work. Let everybody know how you do it.

My guess it was just safe for them to say "Excludes Brabus". Others around the Interwebs haven't had a problem with this one on the Brabus.

http://www.451s.com/photo/brabus-with-hitch

IMG_0861.JPG?width=737&height=550

My largest client (COMP Cams) is a manufacturer of products for automotive vehicles. A good portion of each day is spent around product fitment data issues. My guess is that in this case, it's cheaper (ie. more profitable) for them to say it doesn't fit a small subset of an already small segment of vehicles than it would be to actually procure a Brabus, install a hitch, and verify fitment or deal with product returns. The way it is now, if it doesn't fit my car, it's on me for not reading the product description. If the Brabus market was larger, I'm sure they would adapt their product and or product description.

That being said, if I have to pull out the grinder for any reason, I'll be sure to document it so everyone here will know.

Maybe they just didn't wanna get sued by some buffoon that couldn't figure out that hot exhaust blowing directly on the hitch might make the hitch a teeny bit warm?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I put that one on my smart (not Brabus) and it was a pretty simple installation and works great for a bike rack.

Noticed your link says "no availability", you might try these guys I had good service from them.

Installation instructions are here.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Maybe they just didn't wanna get sued by some buffoon that couldn't figure out that hot exhaust blowing directly on the hitch might make the hitch a teeny bit warm?

That's a good possibility.

The rack looks good, like the way it came out, that is the way we store ours in the front bin but still need a way to transport from the campgrounds, that would work.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Brit,

Went do you find time to eat ? lol You always have some thing going on. Keep up the good work. It looks great.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived