Smart Car Advice

bmzero

Hi Everyone,

I was going past one of the local dealers and saw a Smart. The car is an '08 Passion with 11,600 mi., automatic and the clear coat on the roof is showing some age. They are asking $10,500 for the car. Is asking price reasonable ? I am thinking the price needs to come down. I would like some thoughts about it.

Thanks for any input,

Al

Based on my recent, and current, research, that price is about $2000 high. Being at a dealer is going to hurt the price a little, though. They have to "feed their kids" with your money.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean like this?

02-M.jpg

That is my old smart and my kayak trailer. That is why I set my bed up to winch the smart from the hitch. I already had the receiver hitch.

They make several other trailers that are capable of being towed with the smart. I once saw a little tent camper being towed by a smart.

That is almost exactly what I'm thinking about. Light weight, low rolling resistance, etc. That's a slick setup! I really like that. Did you build that trailer?

That is almost exactly what I'm thinking about. Light weight, low rolling resistance, etc. That's a slick setup! I really like that. Did you build that trailer?

No I am not that talented. When I bought that it was made by Rack and Roll. Yakima has since bought them up.

I have the extended tongue, the spare tire, and the kickstand. With all 3 of my kayaks and a Thule cargo box full of gear it weighs 500 lbs, If I remember the trailer is only 150 lbs empty. I have added the longer cross bars on the smaller width frame (to the best of my knowledge R&R only offered one width). It is basically an aluminum roof rack with wheels. The wheels will fold down and it has rollers on the back end so you can stand it on end and roll it into the garage.

Now a neighbor and I did build (he did it, I just did the fetching and the toting) the rear extension on my trailer (you can see the red/white reflex tape reflecting in the photo), so I can't stand the trailer on end anymore. I added brake and turn signal lights back there so no one would rear end my black kayak, claiming that they couldn't see it.

03-M.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks, Ricky. That's the type of information I was looking for. I will probably avoid the Brabus anyway, just because of the price increase. I will probably apply my own styling features anyway. Something like this:

toyo-tires-smart-project-48.jpg

I took the following two photos of this car at the SEMA show last year.

16553090643_e678f54d86_b.jpg

16987093539_f47cdb3710_b.jpg

I'm joking, but I do appreciate the effort that went into building this car. I don't think that would work too well on the back of the Volvo, though.

That car looks AWESOME!!! The added bonus to this car, is the U.S.M.C sticker on the rear of that car... Garuntee to go THAT much faster than anyone else competing against it!!!!

The Few

No I am not that talented. When I bought that it was made by Rack and Roll. Yakima has since bought them up.

I have the extended tongue, the spare tire, and the kickstand. With all 3 of my kayaks and a Thule cargo box full of gear it weighs 500 lbs, If I remember the trailer is only 150 lbs empty. I have added the longer cross bars on the smaller width frame (to the best of my knowledge R&R only offered one width). It is basically an aluminum roof rack with wheels. The wheels will fold down and it has rollers on the back end so you can stand it on end and roll it into the garage.

Now a neighbor and I did build (he did it, I just did the fetching and the toting) the rear extension on my trailer (you can see the red/white reflex tape reflecting in the photo), so I can't stand the trailer on end anymore. I added brake and turn signal lights back there so no one would rear end my black kayak, claiming that they couldn't see it.

03-M.jpg

Looks great, Phil. I like it. Thanks for posting the photos.

As for standing it up, it would be quick and easy enough to hinge that extension so you could fold it up and out of the way.

That car looks AWESOME!!! The added bonus to this car, is the U.S.M.C sticker on the rear of that car... Garuntee to go THAT much faster than anyone else competing against it!!!!

Yeah, that car was pretty entertaining. I won't be going that far with mine, but it was definitely fun to look at. It seemed like a big over-emphasized RC car.

Found this here.

HomePageImagenew.jpg

Thanks, Rick. Whatever I end up with, I'll be building it myself. Here are a few points I'm kicking around:

• Use same wheels/tires as the fronts on the Smart (obvious spare tire benefits here, same tools, etc.)
  • Aluminum only
  • Collapsable/removable storage box
  • Light weight
  • Low rolling resistance
  • Possibly the trailer platform could double as a storage rack on the back of the HDT when not attached to the trailer axle

Hi Everyone,

I was going past one of the local dealers and saw a Smart. The car is an '08 Passion with 11,600 mi., automatic and the clear coat on the roof is showing some age. They are asking $10,500 for the car. Is asking price reasonable ? I am thinking the price needs to come down. I would like some thoughts about it.

Thanks for any input,

Al

Come to Toronto. Here is a certified preowned 2013 with about the same mileage for about a thousand dollars less when you factor in the exchange. Also 0.9 per cent financing. http://certified.mercedes-benz.ca/used/2013/smart/model/2013-smart-model-toronto-for-sale-wmeej3baxdk601051

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I actually saw a Smart with a small utility trailer at the Va. welcome center on Rt. 40 on my way home from the ECR, I wanted to stop there for the rest room but signs said NO TRUCKS and I was not sure how much room there was or I would have a photo. It was small but had stuff on top of the trailer also.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Come to Toronto. Here is a certified preowned 2013 with about the same mileage for about a thousand dollars less when you factor in the exchange. Also 0.9 per cent financing. http://certified.mercedes-benz.ca/used/2013/smart/model/2013-smart-model-toronto-for-sale-wmeej3baxdk601051

Nigel

Nigel,

Thank you for posting the info. I thought the local dealership was on the high side.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0VyG5PYJF1g/VT6__GD_BQI/AAAAAAAAApk/QD4LlMmDAcI/w426-h256/15%2B-%2B1

I have this little trailer. It was originally set up to be pulled behind a motorcycle. It has a swiveling hitch ball so the trailer stays flat while the motorcycle leaned. It worked out pretty well on the smart too because the car is short enough that it can roll one way over a driveway entrance or something and might twist a tongue enough to lift a wheel or bend the hitch if you put a lot of stuff in the trailer. We pulled this about 1000 miles each way from Washington into California twice. Loaded up it made the car work pretty hard in the hills in southern Oregon and northern California, but on flat ground you can barely tell it's there. Having something to keep the hitch still so it doesn't clunk makes a big difference in the comfort factor. Having it banging continually wears on the pleasure of the drive. Locked down the only time the weight is noticeable is on an uphill.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Thanks, Rick. Whatever I end up with, I'll be building it myself. Here are a few points I'm kicking around:

• Use same wheels/tires as the fronts on the Smart (obvious spare tire benefits here, same tools, etc.)

Compared to those little motorcycle tires/wheels on my trailer, the smarts wheels are HEAVY. If weight is a concern, I would go with smaller wheels. Also, the first thing I did when I got my smart was to dump the skinny rims and go to 6" wide rims all the way around with 195/50/15 tires. The outer size is the same so the computer sees no difference but the ride is SO much better. I kept one of the 4.5" wide rims and wheels (front wheel-the rears are 5.5" wide) for a spare and I keep it behind the seat plus with the same size wheels all around, now I can rotate my tires.

2014 smart Fortwo

Compared to those little motorcycle tires/wheels on my trailer, the smarts wheels are HEAVY. If weight is a concern, I would go with smaller wheels.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I guess maintaining the bolt pattern and lug nut size is the basic goal, but at the end of the day not a deal breaker either way. The wheels/tires like you have are probably the better overall choice.

That's a good looking trailer, too.

The registration says it's a 1949 frame, so it's cheap to keep the tabs on. The box is nothing more than one I got from Sears. I just recently got a new set of the hardware so I can take that box and put it on the top of my bigger car. I kept the original box it had, and I'll probably put it back on this trailer and most likely sell it. I think I'm probably done pulling the trailer with a smart car.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

I agree - it is a great daily driver. Lots of fun to drive. And once you get some POWER into it, that will make it AWESOME!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I agree - it is a great daily driver. Lots of fun to drive. And once you get some POWER into it, that will make it AWESOME!!

Keep your fingers crossed on the POWER. This one will probably stay stock and become my wife's. I'll hopefully have the 200HP version. ;-)

sweet looking!

2014 smart Fortwo

sweet looking!

Thanks. I'm pretty proud of it. I have wanted one for a long time. The HDT gives me an excuse to buy one without looking like a tree hugger.

Great looking car! Really interested in the 200hp version. :)

I'm headed to Motus tomorrow to discuss the V4 project. I should know more then.

Thanks. I'm pretty proud of it. I have wanted one for a long time. The HDT gives me an excuse to buy one without looking like a tree hugger.

Put a picture of the smart and the truck in the car. That way when the rednecks start laughing you can show them the difference between your truck and their LGT. :D That usually shuts 'em up pretty quick.

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived