Smart Car Advice

bmzero

If you could squeeze that supercharged Motus V4 in a Smart Car.....I'd buy into that program! :) Man does that thing sound like a high rev'ing SBC.

Don't tempt me. I'm seriously thinking about doing it anyway. If I had a serious buyer, that would definitely push me over the edge to making it happen. There is definitely enough room in the back of the Smart to pull it off.

The design of that engine is based of off the GM LS engine. It's basically a LS, cut in half, and scaled to 3/4 size, with some "improvements" of course.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you guys seriously be interested in an engine swap, assuming is was professionally executed and everything (A/C, alternator, gauges, etc.) worked as expected? The cost for the swap would easily exceed the value of the car. I have been thinking about doing the swap/engineering in mine, but I didn't think anyone else would seriously be interested.

There are guys out there making a living at doing kit swaps like this. I have been in the Motorsports industry for 30 years and have spent more money on small displacement high horsepower motors than I'd like to admit. Also, raced for thirty years and just retired from that a few years ago. I think the price of that motor is very good for what your getting and I'd be very interested. :)

There are guys out there making a living at doing kit swaps like this. I have been in the Motorsports industry for 30 years and have spent more money on small displacement high horsepower motors than I'd like to admit. Also, raced for thirty years and just retired from that a few years ago. I think the price of that motor is very good for what your getting and I'd be very interested. :)

Rick, I have been seeing high HP swaps into Smarts for a few years, but they're usually liter bike motors with a substantially different torque curve, lacking reverse, motor in the passenger area, etc. I believe the Motus motor offers some different packaging options as well as a very drivable powerband. With the larger plenum area available in the Smart car, I think the motor could easily exceed 190HP on pump gas and still retain a decent efficiency level. We'll see, hopefully.

Look up three Point Motors in Victoria, inventory, used Smarts. There are 4 at the moment, at least that's what shows up on the computer

Thanks, Roger. I'm currently on the hunt for a good salvage car that I can use to prototype the swap. That way, I can cut it up and strip it w/o consequence. Once finalized, transport the swap into a good car. I have a few leads that will hopefully pan out today.

Oh yeah, this just might happen. I got the blessing and support from Motus. They have already looked into this swap and have some good information to share. Seems like a match made in tire roasting heaven.

17223332701_81deb2a8f9_b.jpg

So what would the tranny be if you make this swap? Chain drive or gear final drive? Reverse would be a must-have, with a car, obviously. I had a bike before a car, and rode quite a bit (of the lower 48 states I've been in 46 of them on a motorcycle), and it wasn't until the very last Gold Wing that I had reverse. My smart has pretty much taken the place of the bike. I can drool over such a swap, but if the DW and I move down to CA I wouldn't have a snowball's chance of passing emissions testing...

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

So what would the tranny be if you make this swap? Chain drive or gear final drive? Reverse would be a must-have, with a car, obviously. I had a bike before a car, and rode quite a bit (of the lower 48 states I've been in 46 of them on a motorcycle), and it wasn't until the very last Gold Wing that I had reverse. My smart has pretty much taken the place of the bike. I can drool over such a swap, but if the DW and I move down to CA I wouldn't have a snowball's chance of passing emissions testing...

One unique feature of the Motus motor is that it was built with a bellhousing in mind, unlike most bike motors which cannot be separated from their transmission. I have heard Motus describe their product as an engine, wrapped in a motorcycle. It was designed from the ground up with swaps like this in mind. I have not gotten too far into the mechanical research at this point, but the initial plan would be to mate it up to the OEM transmission using an adapter plate. The Smart uses a AMT Getrag transmission. Mating the Motus up to that transmission should be the easy part. Maintaining factory appearance and functionality throughout the rest of the car will be the hard part.

Pardon the image I scraped from Google:

IMG_4114_zpscc3f1769.jpg

I found a smoking deal on a Brabus. I drove it yesterday. Good solid car with no major issues. Unfortunately, I was in Willy, pulling the trailer, so there was no way I could bring it home. It's about 2 hours from my house and presents some logistical problems getting it home.

I will probably end up with this one and just deal with the clearance issues of the Brabus.

17035250387_7b279d877f_o.jpg

From my searching for a replacement smart last fall, I was told by a salesman in Plano, TX. (who used to service the cars) that the Brabus is actually lowered in the front suspension making it a little harder to clear the deck if you intend to haul your smart like I do in the picture below.

I would also plan your deck build allowing for a 4" wider smart in the future.

You could put a spacer or bead of weld in the hinge area of the ramps or add some race ramps on the ground end. I'm working on that at the moment.

I found a "mule" for the Motus V4 engine swap. It was struck by lightening and the dealership gave up on fixing it, so they totaled it. Since I would be changing out the ECM/VCU and all engine management pieces anyway, this is the perfect car for the swap. All of the body panels are there to complete the car, but I probably won't use them. It'll look about like it does now until I perfect the kit, pull the engine, and scrap the car. Should be a fun project.

17068747169_f0a0292362_b.jpg

16632502774_564a1aee98_b.jpg

17047542817_ec4327f542_b.jpg

Keep them separated after dark. Don't get them wet. Don't ask why. Just don't.

Seriously, though. If you have any desire to sell the complete cabrio system, let me know. Ours is getting "finicky", and I've been baby'ing it until the weather warms up to do some digging.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have a complete set of YELLOW body panels if you would be interested in any.

L. D. 43Two-Six97-03Six 7

ShortyO

I appreciate the offer. I believe I have enough panels to put this car back together, but if not I'll definitely let you know. Thanks.

What are your thoughts about a trailer for the Smart car? I do understand that for most people who drive Smart cars, the thought of a trailer is enough to make them choke on their Soy Latte, but our needs are little different. I would like to be able to have a small, light weight aluminum trailer to hold (not all together) a couple of bicycles, luggage, groceries, cooler, firewood for campfires, wife's shopping bags, etc., etc. The other cool thing about this idea is I think I can make it collapsible enough that it will fit in (not on) the truck bed, with some re-assembly required.

Thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

I was going past one of the local dealers and saw a Smart. The car is an '08 Passion with 11,600 mi., automatic and the clear coat on the roof is showing some age. They are asking $10,500 for the car. Is asking price reasonable ? I am thinking the price needs to come down. I would like some thoughts about it.

Thanks for any input,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

You mean like this?

02-M.jpg

That is my old smart and my kayak trailer. That is why I set my bed up to winch the smart from the hitch. I already had the receiver hitch.

They make several other trailers that are capable of being towed with the smart. I once saw a little tent camper being towed by a smart.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived