Best Camp Chairs

larryj41

There are several different chairs with strong support but we happen to be part of the group who likes the chairs from Strongback for their solid back support. Of all the different ones we have owned, I'd consider them to be the most comfortable.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The ideal chair will also have a "nap" position.

The Lafuma Low Elips Chair is pretty good - it is very light weight and has five positions - including a reclined position good enough to nap in.

They do sit low to the ground though.

If we could squeeze another pair of chairs into our rig, I think that a pair of those Strongback Chairs would be contenders.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Can anyone recommend a chair for a five foot tall woman? Most camp chairs have her dangling her feet in the air. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

I was checking out Strongback and Lafuna on Amazon. Both look good, but as TX Cowboy said, I saw some reviews about them falling apart. That shocked me as I have seen so many good reviews for them.

Larry and Debbie Jenkins

2002 Travel Supreme DSO2

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 4x4

McKinney, TX

That shocked me as I have seen so many good reviews for them.

After 32 years in customer service I learned that a far greater of unhappy customers take time to complain than of happy customers who take time to commend. There are not many (if any) products which are so good that they have no unhappy customers.

We have now owned our Strongback chairs for 4 years and we use them a great deal whether at home or on the road. They do have some damage to the plastic devices around the front legs where they attach to the chair bottoms and I have seen the same on others but thus far that has proven to be mostly cosmetic. It is an issue that has brought them some criticism and is pretty common to their chairs, at least to those several years old.

Even so, those chairs remain the most comfortable for long periods of sitting of any that we have ever owned. The question then arises, how long should we be able to expect them to last without any visible damage? They are one of the more expensive chairs and probably should be held to a higher standard. But they have remained very popular with the majority of their owners so each one must make their own call. We stay with them for reasons of comfort as we don't consider them to be the most impressive looking chairs that we have ever owned, just most comfortable to sit in for hours at a time.

The one that fits you when you sit in it. We have two different brands as each of us is built different and is more comfortable in our own chair. Try out different chairs / brands and purchase what feels the best to YOU.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. In looking at Amazon, I saw a Rhino Rack chair that looked pretty good but was more expensive than the Strongback chairs. Does any one know about these?

Larry and Debbie Jenkins

2002 Travel Supreme DSO2

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 4x4

McKinney, TX

Based on this thread, we checked out Amazon and LL Bean looking for camp chairs. We also saw the Rhino Rack chair and it looks really good. Then the DW saw the aluminum Director's style chair with the attached table with cup holder.

Not sure about the comfort level of the Director's style chairs but everybody seems to have a couple of them. Soon, we will too. Amazon Prime delivers them on Monday. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Not sure about the comfort level of the Director's style chairs but everybody seems to have a couple of them. Soon, we will too.

I hope that yours are more comfortable than ours were. I like the shelf, but got very tired of the back ache that comes with spending much time in ours. We still use them for occasional short term visitors to our home-base.

While we would love to get the Director's chairs, what we cannot accept is the low backs that are on them. We like a high back chair for straight sitting and our lounge chairs are the Lafuma's Zero Gravity which we love. But just can't get a warm fuzzy with those low back chairs! I'm like Goldilocks, it has to be "just right"!

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 QSP with a 2014 interior!

2008 Honda CRV

Many good recommendations for chairs. Bottom line can be what feels best to you. Several years ago we met a couple that were very happy with two folding card table chairs. They wanted the straight back support. So what works best for you could be a choice.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

We have a couple of the zero gravity chairs and really like them for the afternoon snooze and sunning. While they fit me just fine, DW gets lost in hers. The Director chairs will be a nice addition to the flock since they will replace a couple of the less comfortable bag chairs that we have.

I still think we'll end up with a couple of the Strongback chairs but want to give DW a chance to love or hate the Director chairs on order now.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Can anyone recommend a chair for a five foot tall woman? Most camp chairs have her dangling her feet in the air. :)

The Lafuma Low Elips Chair is low to the ground. No dangling feet there.

What I don't like about it is that we tend to gather around campfires with friends and everyone with regular camp chairs is sitting higher than us. The Lafuma vinyl fabric is easily damaged by flying embers too.

We were able to try them out at REI - I think Cabela's also carries them.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I sat in a lot of chairs looking for one that didn't leave my feet dangling which cut off circulation in the back of my legs. It really is the one that fits you that is best. We went to Camping World and REI just to try out chairs. Those of us who are short soon learn there is no such thing as one size fits all. My chair does not fold up as small as Dave's does but I don't care!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The major criteria for a portable chair is that it must be small enough to haul around, comfortable to fit your back side, easy to fold and unfold and finally affordable.

To see how they work, you will need to sit in them and try to fold and unfold.

What is great for one person, may not work for you. You do not need to have matching chairs, although they look nice,

For extra chairs, we have a couple of the bag chairs....comfortable enough to sit in for a short time, but not so comfortable enough that the guest out stay their welcome.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

If you are to the point where your chair is no longer comfortable it's time to get up and do some exercise. We'd all probably do well by having less comfortable chairs.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

If you are to the point where your chair is no longer comfortable it's time to get up and do some exercise. We'd all probably do well by having less comfortable chairs.

Over the last few years we've taken a pre-teen girl camping with us a lot. There was no sitting around in chairs. I have never seen a better exercise program.

But if I'm sitting outside I like a chair that isn't too low and doesn't lean you back too much. Which is why I prefer a Captain's chair. Mine has that little table thingie and I prefer a real table next to me. With the taller legs they're much easier to get out of and fold up small for storage.

We have one of those "zero gravity" chairs and my only issue with it is that it occasionally chooses the position on its own. But I have sat in one of those chairs that was marvelously comfortable. I wasn't smart enough to get the make and model though. I don't think they fold up into a very compact unit though. Since we took off the 8' long storage box on top of the rig (now solar panels) we have to be more creative in storing them when traveling.

I hadn't seen a Rhino Rack chair 'til I read this thread and checked it on Amazon. That thing really looks comfy. But $130!!!

As someone said, above, the secret is to sit in one long enough to determine whether it's a good fit for you.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Archived