WalMart, Livingston, TX

AlCherry

I have been told that the stores that are being closed for plumbing issues where stores that they had protests about low wages

by a large number their employees. While I don't know this for a fact, I do know that any plumbing repairs, no matter how extensive,

would not take six months! I do remember when the Livingston Walmart was being build, it didn't take much more time to build the entire store.

My son-in-law's brother was the head person for the general contractor who build that store and he still builds Walmarts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahahaah This is one of the more fun threads in a while. I especially liked the ones who were going to upgrade their retirement and become Walmart Greeter and a Walmart Parking Lot Host. This is what I like about Escapees members, we all have such high aspirations. :) Yahoooo. :ph34r:

But on a more serious note. :angry: Closing the stores because of employees complaining about low wages does sound like something Walmart would do. I stopped using Walmart several years ago because of the predatory way they treat employees. Has anyone else done the same?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

As of Dec. 31, Wal-Mart said that it operates 4,177 stores in the U.S., excluding its Sam's Club warehouse club footprint".... Does not seem like closing 5 stores would have much of a impact on anything.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Not much impact for Walmart but a great impact for the employees and customers. Also for the taxpayers. I personally have a love-hate relationship with Walmart and do use them a lot. I hate to say that I tend to believe this is a message from Walmart to employees. The facts as I have read them seem to point to that. IE: you can't do plumbing without permits. I truly hope I am wrong.

Not much impact for Walmart but a great impact for the employees and customers. Also for the taxpayers. I personally have a love-hate relationship with Walmart and do use them a lot. I hate to say that I tend to believe this is a message from Walmart to employees. The facts as I have read them seem to point to that. IE: you can't do plumbing without permits. I truly hope I am wrong.

If you will notice, though, over the past couple of years Walmart seems to be playing catch-up with the negative image people are starting to have of them. Their greed, the sociopathic way they treat employees and customers, how customers are starting to rebel about not being able to get help because of the limited number of support personnel on the floor, that it is impossible to get anyone on the phones they say are available to the public, and finally how they take advantage of countries, states and communities through massive tax breaks when they build stores. . To me, this is another brick being removed from the wall of support they have tried to create about being a store for the people.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

This thread is fascinating to me. The fact is that we the public can close any business we wish it enough of us feel that we wish to by not buying there. I have known more than one Walmart employee who were strong advocates of the company. Most of those who complain are the part-time people, which is the majority of workers in any of the discount stores. You can't compete as a discount store and pay high wages, whether you happen to be Walmart, Target, or any of the host of other discount stores.

I do shop Walmart because they will accept returns without question, even if purchased from a different store in another state. I shop there because they are always competitively priced and they usually carry reasonably good quality. Of course my favorite of all of the stories going around is the one which says that they are part of a big government conspiracy to declare martial law. :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That martial law one was pretty wild or wierd or something. Anyone note the incident of the employee being fired from a Popeye's because she would not pay back the money that was taken in an armed robbery. Talk about messing up the corporate image. It was somewhere near Houston and it seems like it was the particular franchisee and not Popeye's corporate. Just ate at one yesterday on my way out from the local Walmart.

Anyone note the incident of the employee being fired from a Popeye's because she would not pay back the money that was taken in an armed robbery. Talk about messing up the corporate image.

All retail establishments have policies on minimizing the amount of cash kept in the register. They don't want to be a target for robberies. She had $400 in the register when she should have removed the overage to the safe. If the bad guys take note, she is placing all employees on all shifts in jeopardy by her ignoring of the rules. If the bad guys know they won't get much they will pass that establishment by. So if you owned the franchise what would you have done?

We use wall mart because they are all over the country and easy to find. We use the wall mart pharmacy .As for the permits I hope it will be posted when they do get the permits.

We wok at Disneyworld during the winter(seasonal) and they are no different in employee policies than Wall mart, Target, etc.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Duffman, I know that, but like you I don't know all the facts. I do know you can be so busy it can be difficult to follow the rule exactly. IE: You as custuomer at counter, I'll have a......, employee- please wait I have to make a deposit before I can take your order.' How about counciling her or giving her a day off with no pay. No way they should have demanded the employee pay back $400. for getting robbed at gunpoint. This is my last word on this and now back to Walmart.

Howdy!

We use Walmart and one reason is for meat as they have a quick turnover in that section. We purchased some hamgurber meat from HEB in Livingston a few days ago and the meat was red on the outside and brown on the inside. No saying they did but its a known fact that some places that process there on meat will take hamburger and place fresh red meat on the outside and repackage it for sale. So I guess will have to drive to Cleveland or Lufkin for frest meat next time.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

chiefneon, have you tried the little convenience store on the corner of 146 & 1988 (out close to Escapees park) it used to be called R&D grocery but not sure it is still the same...they had a great meat market in the store, always fresh and better quality than anybody else in Livingston.

Howdy!

We use Walmart and one reason is for meat as they have a quick turnover in that section. We purchased some hamgurber meat from HEB in Livingston a few days ago and the meat was red on the outside and brown on the inside. No saying they did but its a known fact that some places that process there on meat will take hamburger and place fresh red meat on the outside and repackage it for sale. So I guess will have to drive to Cleveland or Lufkin for frest meat next time.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Liver juice does wonders to redden steaks and ground beef. I think sodium nitrate sprinkled on the exterior works also. We need an old time butcher to let us know all the tricks.

Liver juice does wonders to redden steaks and ground beef. I think sodium nitrate sprinkled on the exterior works also. We need an old time butcher to let us know all the tricks.

Carbon Monoxide makes meat look pink as well. I have heard that is why Walmart meat always looks so "fresh". Whenever you see meat that is packaged where there is a lot of extra room in the package, the extra room is filled with carbon monoxide.

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Carbon Monoxide makes meat look pink as well. I have heard that is why Walmart meat always looks so "fresh". Whenever you see meat that is packaged where there is a lot of extra room in the package, the extra room is filled with carbon monoxide.

Paul

That's logical - probably prevents oxidation which is what browns meat. That's why the put nitrogen in potato chip bags - prevents oils from going rancid. I wonder if those prepackaged hamburgers that have long sell by dates are so packaged?

I do know why they don't have butchers at Walmart's any more. They package their meets elsewhere and truck it to Walmarts.

A number of years ago the butchers at the Jacksonville, TX Walmart store voted 10 to1 to join a labor union. Following that vote the Jacksonville

Walmart fired all 11 butchers and they now package their meats at another location and truck them to Walmarts for sale.

chiefneon, have you tried the little convenience store on the corner of 146 & 1988 (out close to Escapees park) it used to be called R&D grocery but not sure it is still the same...they had a great meat market in the store, always fresh and better quality than anybody else in Livingston.

X2 on the meat market in the Phillips 66 convenience store....excellent quality and reasonable prices. Hidden gem.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

I noted some years ago that most Walmart meat has in smallish print a statement about being enhanced with up to a certain percent solution usually 10 to 14 percent to help you by making it juicier or more tasty. On a lot of the chicken it says enhanced with a percentage of chicken broth again to heip make it tastier for you. In most cases it is mostly water. On some of the hams they are called ham and water product with up to 30% water. I think this can vary somewhat at Walmarts based on the state becuase of the particular state regulations. Certain brands do not tend to do this like Sanderson Farms chicken. This is one of the parts of Walmart that falls in the hate catagory as I consider it decption and maybe even theft by decption. I tend to try and buy my meat at other places if I can reasonably do so but this is happening to a degree at most stores now. The price of meat now is high enough that I find myself eating less and less meat. I thought about rustling now :rolleyes: but I am too decrepit to do it.

Me, I like labels that tell me about a product so I'm glad to see them used in situations where they are not a requirement. I don't recall the rules but I seem to recall that you can use some level of enhancement without being required to label the end product. For ham I think you can inject stuff up to 19.9% by weight before you are required to label it. Turkey has different mandatory labeling disclosure requirements as does pork.

More information is better! Well aside from some cookies I really liked as a kid until I asked dad what "fish meal" was when I got bored and read the label. The cookies never tasted very good again. :-(

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Lots of family-owned businesses screw their employees as bad (or worse) than the big box or big mall stores. Our daughter worked at a restaurant where the owner required staff to clock out and then clean up. Even municipalities have two-tier employees... part time and full time... to avoid giving their people retirement and health care. The entire complexion of employment has changed all across the country over the past 40 years.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

. Even municipalities have two-tier employees... part time and full time... to avoid giving their people retirement and health care.

I believe that if you research, you will find that the largest employer of part-time employees who get no benefits is the federal government. People like rangers in the national parks are mostly seasonal employees who work short contracts and receive no benefits or retirement credit. You almost have to do that to ever get on as a permanent employee and some never get there. Many of the NPS law enforcement seasonal rangers have actually paid to attend an LE course in order to get those seasonal jobs. People want those jobs so supply and demand means that you don't need to give benefits to fill them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I believe that if you research, you will find that the largest employer of part-time employees who get no benefits is the federal government. People like rangers in the national parks are mostly seasonal employees who work short contracts and receive no benefits or retirement credit. You almost have to do that to ever get on as a permanent employee and some never get there. Many of the NPS law enforcement seasonal rangers have actually paid to attend an LE course in order to get those seasonal jobs. People want those jobs so supply and demand means that you don't need to give benefits to fill them.

Amen to that! The laws of supply and demand are immutable!

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

The US Government is the largest employer in the world by a significant margin, and larger than Walmart by over 50%, so looking at percentage of workforce would give you a more accurate perspective.

Dave and Lana Hasper

I'm no Walmart fan. Avoid them as much as I can. However Walmart is doing nothing much different to most large employers. Love it or hate it 'we' the customers are driving Walmart's policies. Yes we demand better prices and Walmart is supplying demand.

Stop going to Walmart and see how quick they change their trading practices. Ah! you say. That won't happen because they are cheaper.

regards

Archived