HELP! Toilet plugged!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hubby has a couple ideas of how to add something to the 90 to flush it out. It's up to you guys and your ideas and his ingenuity!! I'm saddened how many businesses have no desire to help you out. I wonder if this is a reason the previous owners got rid of this unit?! It's a very poor design. We have the new 1 ply tp, tons of water, the flush out rod hubby made, our hose and bucket. We've done it twice so we know what to do and what to look for before it gets to the critical stage.

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Hubby is thinking about buying a snake to 'router' out what plumbing we have. We've been using lots of water this time. When my husband put the hose down the toilet this time, it cleared pretty quickly and it was running all the way through. It seems to keep hanging up at the first 90.

It sounds like when we first started. I would try using more water when you flush the toilet, maybe even excessive amounts as long as you're hooked up. See if it "keeps working right" that way. Then maybe you can back off the amount of water a bit.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Even though you broke the clog loose, there may have been more solid stuff in there. One thing I did, although I have a motorhome, is fill the black tank about half full of fresh water and then go for a drive on a deserted road where I could make a lot of sharp stops and sway back and forth to try to break up what was still there.

That was after I had flushed several times and dumped two or three times. (I have an external flush spray that I hook a hose to on the outside of my rig.) No problems since, but I do limit type and amount of toilet paper and use a lot of water.

Be very careful with the snake, the plumbing is plenty strong enough to be safe but the tank material is very easy to poke a hole in and difficult to impossible to repair.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It is possible that when the holes were drilled into the tank, the resulting plastic plug was simply pushed into the tank and is now lodged downstream thus snagging all waste trying to pass. I have not eperienced this but have read of many others with this issue.

Before spending any more money on the twice clogged plumbing I would recommend contacting a local plumber who has a video camera ability to inspect your unit. After that you should be able to determine the cause and repair it. All else is "trial and error' and I don't like trial and error on the issue of a sewer problem. The errors are always messy.

Just my opinion.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hubby has a couple ideas of how to add something to the 90 to flush it out. It's up to you guys and your ideas and his ingenuity!! I'm saddened how many businesses have no desire to help you out. I wonder if this is a reason the previous owners got rid of this unit?! It's a very poor design.

The problem most likely is the 90 elbow and sewer plumbing is supposed to use a sweep that has a much more gentle curve and so less restriction to movement of waste. If it is possible to do so, a much better solution would be removal of that 90 and replacement with a sweep. But if you have a true 90 then there is probably a second one as well. A much better design is to route the line such that it uses two 45° turns but that will also mean serious rerouting. You should be able to tell where that problem is located by the distance your flush device will go into the drain before hitting the plug. That should pin down fairly closely what is causing the problem.

There is a good reason why many RV shops won't get involved in the sort of plumbing problems that you have. One is their reluctance to work with human waste because of the health issues that could be involved. Then add to that the fact that just as you have found, clearing the problem frequently is more than just opening it up to drain and if the issue is the design of the waste lines into the tank, there is not a lot that the RV tech can to do to prevent it from returning. Depending upon where the sewer line goes it probably has poor access and few options available for an tech to reroute it or make repairs. It can involve dis-assembly of walls, floors an whatever the line passes through in order to make a permanent repair. This type of repair is almost impossible for the tech to be able to guarantee and sometimes the cause is completely one of owner misuse.

On the design side, you are right that use of any 90° turn in sewer plumbing is poor design, but manufacturers sometimes do so in an effort to give people more space in small RVs and still do it cheaply. Historically, the RV manufacturers who put quality first in all cases must sell their products to a market that demands cheap prices before all else. The companies that refuse to cut corners typically fail and disappear when economic conditions get difficult because of buyer reluctance to support quality over price.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I found a wood block in our black tank drain. The valve would not close and when I looked in there with a flashlight, found the block. Luckily I was able to turn it and get it out. It must have gotten into the tank during construction then worked it's way down the drain pipe to the valve area. This was when the RV was 3 or 4 yrs. old before the block was found. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

It would be interesting to know if the orginal owner had a problem with it that was not their fault but something in the tank like has been suggested. Could be thats why they no longer have the rig. It could easily be something dropped in at some point from the build to someone like their kids or grand kids dropping something down and not telling. I think possibly worst case scenario is new tank and new drain plumbing.

A plumber with a camera might prove to be more expensive than just buying your own camera. Here is a 5 meter inspection camera that plugs into your PC for showing the images, about $50. There are a lot of inexpensive options before paying for an expensive plumber's visit.

http://smile.amazon.com/Million-Waterproof-Borescope-Endoscope-Inspection/dp/B00JERRES6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429115426&sr=8-1&keywords=fiber+optic+camera

A plumber with a camera might prove to be more expensive than just buying your own camera. Here is a 5 meter inspection camera that plugs into your PC for showing the images, about $50. There are a lot of inexpensive options before paying for an expensive plumber's visit.

http://smile.amazon.com/Million-Waterproof-Borescope-Endoscope-Inspection/dp/B00JERRES6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429115426&sr=8-1&keywords=fiber+optic+camera

Great! We'll order that when we get to our next destination. Thanks!!

Pretty much a one time use only, but if that's what a person want's to do. Not sure what the plumber would charge. Saw one in action at work, but never saw the bill.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The five meter probe on that one is really tempting, I can think of lots of uses aside from the current plumbing problem.

Rates here vary a bit based on the plumber but to get someone with a licence and not wanting a wad of cash in payment you are looking at $100 minimum to show up. We recently paid a bit over $200 in labor to have a fancy tub faucet repaired which took about 30 minutes. Unlicensed and off-the-books costs are about half that.

I think we'll just buy one. We can get one cheaper than having a plumber come out, plus they weren't all that interested in helping us in the first place. My hubby is extremely handy so depending on what we find, he can fix it.

Most all plumbing shops have the sewer camera. Since you are traveling, you could try contacting a plumbing company and ask them what they would charge if you stopped by there office with your rig and they brought the camera out to have a look. They may be willing to just charge you 1/2 hr of labor for a quick look. Be sure to tell them you are not asking them to fix anything, just to take the camera and have a look-see and you will have empty tanks.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

It's been a few days and no further clogs. It seems it was a lack of water and toilet paper issue. Someone told us before we pull out, put ice cubes down the toilet. The cubes will act as a scrub for inside the tank.

Ever hear of that?

Someone told us before we pull out, put ice cubes down the toilet. The cubes will act as a scrub for inside the tank.

Yes I have but I have never done that. What I do is to put in about 1/3 tank of water with a stout mix of a good detergent. We have used dishwasher detergent or in a pinch I use laundry detergent. Either one works quite well but you don't want to use dish detergent as it is a high suds cleaner and you will get bubbles up the toilet if you do so. As soon as I arrive I then dump the tanks as I do this with both black & gray.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A big bag of cubes and a little cold water can do some good but you must drive in a way that causes them to slosh around and scrub the tank. Also you need to do it fairly quickly before the cubes melt. Possibly save dumping a big bag of cubes in until you are almost ready to leave the park, add a couple gallons of cold (from the fridge maybe?) water and then drive around the park accelerating and braking hard enough to get the cubes and water sloshing good. Stop at the dump station and drain the tank, then dump a couple toilet bowls full of water down with the drain valve open to flush out what you can. Close the valve and add a couple bowls of water before heading out.

We found we got our tank quite clean using a PVC wand hooked to a garden hose. Hose fitting on one end, cap and a 3/16" hole in the side on the other. Stick it down, pivot it all directions, pull it up a couple inches and do it again until you are above the tank. Fancy commercial wands work good too IF they have big enough spray holes to put out a powerful jet of water.

Once you get this issue laid to rest don't forget to ask about cleaning your gray tanks. :-)

Archived