Trip North

Shallow Draft

Well it is that time of year and time to change locations. Back to the Great White North for the summer. Just changed oil and greased the Volvo. Only managed to spill 1/2 a quart on the ground. Not bad out of 35.

Hoping for an eventless trip.

One of my friends is broke down in Cedar City Utah. 2011 Ford dropped an exhaust valve. He is lucky though he still had 400 miles left on his 100,000 mile warranty. just saved 20K. Ford gets to eat that one!!!!

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Now thats clean living to cut that close to the edge.....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Either that, or he knew someone to do a rollback.

I thought you just drove in reverse! Unfortunately with all the new computer stuff, the miles and hours are recorded on several computers on the vehicle, kinda hard to roll back that digital display.... :(

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

One of my friends is broke down in Cedar City Utah. 2011 Ford dropped an exhaust valve. He is lucky though he still had 400 miles left on his 100,000 mile warranty. just saved 20K. Ford gets to eat that one!!!!

I am curious. Was it one of Ford's 6.4 diesel engines?

I had one of those engineering marvels in my 2008, F550, 4WD Lariat. Ford bought it back. Beautiful truck. It just left us on the side of the road (in limp mode), one too many times.

Back in the 1960s, I worked the overnight shift as the pump jockey at a gas station. One night, the guy who worked as the mechanic on the shift had the brilliant idea to roll back the mileage on his jalopy. So he disconnected the speedometer cable and chucked it in a reversible drill. He let that run all night. After about eight hours, it had rolled all of four miles off the odometer.

it was a 6.7 and I had driven the truck a few weeks prior and that was the range the odometer was in. I am not sure you can rollback a odometer in a new truck but I suppose anything is possible but not by my friend.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Modern vehicles with electronics record positive mileage in either direction. "Clocking" an odometer was a big business until the manufactures started making more tamperproof odo's in the 1970's. Guys used to have the few tools needed in the back of a station wagon and used to visit the shadier used car lots in town. Then ship the car to another state and...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I'm getting way off-topic by now, but most fire trucks (at least through about 2005) register miles when they're driving AND when they're pumping. Fairly logical, since there's a "transfer case" after the transmission that directs the main drive power to either the axle or the pump (never both - trucks that can pump & roll use a PTO for the much smaller pump). Crew and I took a truck to a kid's birthday party a block or two from the station, and when I backed into the station the truck had 9 miles on it. I guess that explains why I always told driver candidates to step on the brake, shift the case to pump, put the trans in D, and confirm the speedo had "positive rate" (usually 10mph, since it was programmed to shift into the direct 1.0x gear when in pump mode). That station's poor ladder truck only saw 7k "miles" in its first 17 years of service...sad.

Back in Canada. Rain snow wind but a relatively uneventful trip. 5 hrs home tomorrow

Archived