Door jamb sticker - Legality

Yarome

This was a new one for me. I took my rig into the shop yesterday to get a code read for my touchpad door locks. The fella there was trying to enter all my rigs particulars into their computer and read me the riot act for not having the vehicle sticker there in the door jamb. I bought my TV used, but apparently the former owner had removed it at some point. He told me that I needed to contact the DMV to rectify the situation as it was "illegal" to not have the sticker.

Has anyone ever heard of that before?? I'm not in my residency state.. and have no plans to trek on over for a darn'd sticker. Did that guy just inhale too many exhaust fumes or is there some truth to that?

I can tell you that Volvo will issue a new VIN sticker for the doorjamb if the area was damaged in an accident. You have to show ownership, but it's possible other mfr's will do the same. Note that like a replacement speedo, there may be a difference in the appearance to show it's been replaced.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Proving ownership should be pretty easy. Most Big Box dealerships automatically input owner information into the corporate database so that they can track recall actions.

However, if you bought the vehicle from Billy Bob's Fly by Night, that might make it more difficult.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Holy Snikes! No sticker? Did he check the mattresses too? There's usually a "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law" tag there too!

If you have to remove metal to eliminate an identifying number ... you may be crossing a line. Missing something that was put there with adhesive in the first place ... there's certainly no jail time involved.

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

I don't think Yarome is talking about the metal VIN tag on the windshield. He's asking about the paper tag inside the driver door jam / pillar that has the manufacturer data, gross and axle weights, VIN, and bar code. At least that is what is on my truck and my DW's SUV.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Just as it's illegal to remove the labels from the pillows on your couch!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I don't think Yarome is talking about the metal VIN tag on the windshield. He's asking about the paper tag inside the driver door jam / pillar that has the manufacturer data, gross and axle weights, VIN, and bar code. At least that is what is on my truck and my DW's SUV.

Exactly! The door jamb vin sticker with all the particulars. It's certainly helpful, but I haven't missed it much until this feller told me it was a "must have" to be all legal.

Interesting. Neither of my vehicles has a "do not remove" on either label. And, as a must have, it seems strange that this must have information would be embossed on paper instead of something more durable.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Most likely the guy was just upset at having to enter the VIN number manually instead of just scanning the barcode on the door jam sticker

That's entirely likely. He had a hard time reading the vin through the front window and eventually asked to see my registration form.

Howdy!

I don't know about the door jam but the vin # in the driverside winshield is the important one.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Not all tire placards have a VIN number on them. Just checked my 2 cars. Both have the black & yellow tire placard sticker. neither of these tire placard stickers have a VIN. In fact the offical DOT tire sticker doesn't have a space for vehicle VIN.

Now one car had a vehicle sticker with VIN on it and a bar coad. There was also space for tire info but no tire info was on this sticker. Would your service guy claim the vehicle wasn't supposed to have tires on it since the Vin sticker had no tire info????

Now it is a legal requirement that vehicles have a sticker or data sheet with tire size, and inflation info. (note laws changes in 2000-11 for cars and 2008-9 for RVs. BUT this is a requirement for the selling dealer not the individual owner as I understand it.

I wouldn't ask the DMV as they probably have no idea. You could (should) contact the RV MFG and provide them with the VIN and ask for a tire placard sticker for your unit. They should send you one.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

Archived