New member, full of hopes and dreams!

svanarts

Hello all,

Don't really have too many questions at this point because I've been reading this forum for about month before I finally registered. Most of my questions have already been answered. Just wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I are slowly moving toward full-timing. We have to empty our house first...and this includes the people living in it! But we're enjoying looking at all the options we have... and the floorplans. My wife loves looking at the different RVs and telling me what she can and can't live with.

We're pretty my settled on a 5th wheel in the 35-38' range. Right now leaning toward the HitchHiker 32IK as our ideal in length and floorplan. And I'm leaning toward a Ram 3500 diesel dually to pull it with. I also like some of the Redwood units but the jury is still out on them as a company.

Anyway, it's been fun reading all the discussions and learning.

--

Scott and Cristy

Full-time dreamers

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

Welcome to forum participation! It is good to have you joining in and I hope that you will not hesitated to do so on any subject or any of the forums. We frequently do not all share the same views on things but differing opinions make for better and more through discussions. Should the subject ever arise when everyone has the exact same opinion, what a dull thread that will make!

Welcome!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk! I see you were a submariner? I spent the first 13 years of my career making big bullets for submaries aka the Trident II FBM. When you make a bullet for a gun, you have to learn all about the gun. Those Tridents are some impressive boats.

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

I worked on A3, C4 (Trident I) and D5 (Trident II). We were still supporting the A3 missiles for the US and other countries back in the 80's. Heck of a warranty. Despite the mission they were designed to fullfill those birds were impressive pieces of engineering. I'm a pilot and I don't think I could navigate by sighting on the North star!

Anyway, they aren't RVs. And I'm looking forward to learning all I can about 5ers.

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

Welcome and have fun planning your new adventure!

We full-timed in a 33' 5th wheel for 8 years. We got hooked on Jeeping so then went with a 40' MH and Jeep which gave us lots of fun. Both RVs worked well for full-timing.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I guess I should explain. I'm only 50. Nowhere near close to retirement. My wife is 48 and doesn't work. Her mother lives with us. I have a disabled adult son and a daughter that's just starting college that also live with us. We can't just abandon these nice people and hit the road. Tempting as it is. :) My job allows me to work from my office or from home. I am slowly trying to transition to working from home full time to get the boss ready for "the plan."

Here is my plan...

1. Start getting rid of stuff. We're both sentimental and tend to attach too much meaning to "things." We need to correct that and get rid of the "stuff."

2. Wait for people to die and move out. We simply can't just put my wife's mother out or in a home. That's just not who we are. We will literally wait until she passes before we start getting the kids ready for the next step. She's a very energetic 82 that just beat cancer so this may take longer than we think. :)

3. Get my disabled son a place to live. He's mentally disabled so it will be a challenge. He is also very attached to "things" like our house, his stuff, etc. This one will be difficult but we may start on this before mother-in-law passes.

4. Sell the airplane and the hangar. I've been a private pilot for 22 years now. It's been a good run and I've really enjoyed it. I built my hangar and two aircraft with my own two hands. Aviation is in my blood. But I'd really like to show my wife America. She's not from here. She has no idea how beautiful the rest of the country is. She gets sick when we fly so driving it is. And an RV would allow us to see America at a nice slow pace. Besides, I'll figure out some way to keep myself in the air. ;)

5. Get my daughter moved out or married off. She's sweet and very pretty so I'm sure the "married off" part won't take long.

6. Prep the house for sale. We have been going back and forth with renting or selling. I truly don't want to deal with the maintenance issues this house will generate in a few years. I'm tired of the neighbors too.

7. See if we can find a good used HitchHiker 32IK that doesn't smell like 'cat' or 'dog'. We love cats and dogs. We don't love the way their urine smells in a carpet.

8. Take that money from selling the airplane and hangar that's been building up interest and buy something like a Ram 3500HD Dually, Cummins, AISIN, etc. I just can't bring myself to buy a used or re-purposed tractor. My wife would never get in it and that would be that. If the Ram can't pull the HitchHiker then we'll have to change our trailer for something it can pull because that's the absolute biggest truck she can learn to drive. Compromises - that's what life is all about.

9. Set up domicile, probably in Florida. I spent much of my youth between Brunswick, GA and Pensacola, FL so it will be like going home. Hopefully they can stand the laid back Californian that I've become. :)

Plan A

Somewhere around step 6 above I will have to inform my company of my plan to full-time in an RV. I'm going to point out that I can already do my job from anywhere I have an Internet connection. I'll make sure I have an Internet connection of my own. I won't rely on the park's free Wi-Fi. From the company's perspective all that is happening is that I'm moving to Florida. It will in no way affect my job. But they can be a stubborn bunch. "We can't let you do that because no one else gets to do that."

Yeah, how is that my problem?

If they go for then game on! I'm set. It's good pay, and medical is good anywhere.

If they don't go for it then...

Plan B

I'll give the boss two week's notice as soon as I have the money from the sale of the house. Then I'll just start doing contract work for temp agencies. I'll just look for an area of the country that interests me (and has work) and look for jobs there. We can't workamp because it's just not enough money at this point with no retirement income coming in yet.

Okay, that was long and wordy but that's my plan.

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

Welcome!

We are at day 12 of full timing! Quite an adjustment! This forum has been an invaluable tool for me because I have soooooo many questions that have all been answered. You can never do enough research!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

Welcome, svanarts!

8. Take that money from selling the airplane and hangar that's been building up interest and buy something like a Ram 3500HD Dually, Cummins, AISIN, etc. I just can't bring myself to buy a used or re-purposed tractor. My wife would never get in it and that would be that. If the Ram can't pull the HitchHiker then we'll have to change our trailer for something it can pull because that's the absolute biggest truck she can learn to drive. Compromises - that's what life is all about.

As long as you get that AISIN option on the Ram 3500 you shouldn't have any problems pulling your HitchHiker.

I pull...and stop...my 23k lb 5er with a '13 Ram 3500 with AISIN. It handles it quite nicely. Much better than my F-450 did.

Kyle Henson, Fulltime RVer since 2011

Founder/Former Owner of  RVer Insurance Exchange

Welcome!

We are at day 12 of full timing! Quite an adjustment! This forum has been an invaluable tool for me because I have soooooo many questions that have all been answered. You can never do enough research!

Congratulations! I hope to be joining you. In the mean time it's fun to research all the options.

Welcome, svanarts!

As long as you get that AISIN option on the Ram 3500 you shouldn't have any problems pulling your HitchHiker.

I pull...and stop...my 23k lb 5er with a '13 Ram 3500 with AISIN. It handles it quite nicely. Much better than my F-450 did.

That's good to know. I feel good about that decision.

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

I'm only 50. Nowhere near close to retirement.

Nothing wrong with that plan as long as you can find a way to make things work, which I'm sure can be done. I retired at 57 and consider it my wisest career decision. Let me suggest that being a pilot you might enjoy one of our locations where we spent time volunteering in return for an RV site. We loved both of our stays at Lee Bottom Flying Field as I'm sure any aircraft buff would. In addition to my pages about our experience there, take a look at the website that the field has as well to tell the story.

I'm very familiar with that field though I've never been there. Didn't know they had workamper gigs there. Will have to keep that in mind.

To keep flying I'm thinking of getting into powered paragliding. I can throw the engine into the basement and fold the parachute up and take it with me wherever we go. Something I can't do with the airplane.

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

Plan A

Somewhere around step 6 above I will have to inform my company of my plan to full-time in an RV. I'm going to point out that I can already do my job from anywhere I have an Internet connection.

Some people find it best to move into the RV before telling the company. That way when they question your ability to do it you can ask if they've had any problems with it so far. Hard to argue with what's already working.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Scott, congrats on your upcoming "move"!

Since you're buying, or planning to buy, the RAM 3500, let me suggest that you buy the upgraded interior package, probably a Laramie or Bighorn package upgrade. I have the RAM 1500 Longhorn with virtually every luxury item you can get on that truck and it is, hands down, the best and most comfortable truck I've ever owned. We don't tow the RV with it as it's our work and in-and-around truck at home.

Based upon everything that I know, the 3500 is a great choice. You will, of course, need the towing mirrors and probably the 3.93 rear end but the rest of that truck comes ready to go. The diesel engine is a beast. A friend that has one says "it can pull a mountain". I think you'll be very happy with it. One side note: the towing mirrors do not fold and it isn't a option on the current models.

Congrats again!

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Scott, congrats on your upcoming "move"!

Since you're buying, or planning to buy, the RAM 3500, let me suggest that you buy the upgraded interior package, probably a Laramie package upgrade. I have the RAM 1500 Longhorn with virtually every luxury item you can get on that truck and it is, hands down, the best and most comfortable truck I've ever owned. We don't tow the RV with it as it's our work and in-and-around truck at home.

You will, of course, need the towing mirrors and probably the 3.93 rear end but the rest of that truck comes ready to go. The diesel engine is a beast. A friend that has one says "it can pull a mountain". I think you'll be very happy with it. One side note: the towing mirrors do not fold and it isn't a option on the current models.

Congrats again!

Thanks Jeff and Laurie!

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

You will have some challenge with having reliable internet on the go, so make that a part of your plan and do the research early.

I was thinking bout just a Verizon jetpack with some of the signal boosters that are on the market.

I also want to check into www.maxxfi.com. It's supposed to get you faster Internet over celluar data by establishing multiple sessions with cell towers rather than just the one session from your Verizon jetpack or cell phone hot spot.

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

I was thinking bout just a Verizon jetpack with some of the signal boosters that are on the market.

I also want to check into www.maxxfi.com. It's supposed to get you faster Internet over celluar data by establishing multiple sessions with cell towers rather than just the one session from your Verizon jetpack or cell phone hot spot.

Be sure and check out technomadia.com for all the latest on staying connected on the road.

I've used the VZ jetpack for my 3.5 years on the road and it has been mostly great. Combine it with an AT&T iPad and you are probably set.

Kyle Henson, Fulltime RVer since 2011

Founder/Former Owner of  RVer Insurance Exchange

Great choice on the Ram. http://www.freshnews.com/news/1066406/the-fast-lane-truck-tfltruck-names-2015-ram-3500-heavy-duty-gold-hitch-award?utm_campaign=Corp-All-En-Cummins%20News%20Weekly%20Round%20Up-04.10.15&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua&elq=d2d871b8920a4130a8299440ae88ccad&elqCampaignId=737&elqaid=864&elqat=1&elqTrackId=d6503142a393474a804b091dc41d7fe8

I picked up my 2015 Ram just over 30 days ago. As far as the 5ver, I would think the bigger the better. Our DRV will be starting to be built in about 5 days. We ordered a 38 RSB3. It is just a couple of inches short of 40 feet. Take your time and look at as much as you can. Go to a BIG RV show. I went to Hershey, PA's show last Fall. Best of luck.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 3 weeks later...

When I joined this forum , I had many questions on what rig to purchase. I really appreciate all the input. I 'm a proud owner of a used rig Fleetwood 06 38L DP, less than 30k miles on her and super clean inside.

We have taken a few short trips and now we are looking to hit the road for longer trips. I am having a problem with where to stay, my girl friend and I retired early so we wont hit the magic age of 55+ for about 15 yrs. We have been turned away from rv parks due to age, I don't like that and feel a bit angry. I bet if there was a Rv Park that only allowed former Hooters girls and Cheerleaders there would get protesters, but if it says "age restricted" you don't hear a peep. I just want to stay at the best rv parks and most of them are "55+" or "age restricted"

Any suggestion?

Well, first of congrats on the VERY early retirement! I know it seems harsh that some parks have an age limit. I'm not 55 yet so I couldn't stay there either. But I understand why they do it. They are trying to keep a quiet, peaceful atmosphere for their customers. Younger folks tend to bring kids with them and kids bring noise and mess. It's why I go to adult-only resorts many times. I just want to be away from kids. I love 'em... but when I want peace and quiet... I want peace and quiet.

I guess there are so many other great RV resorts to go to that I wouldn't worry too much about the ones I can't go to. Besides, I believe in giving everyone the freedom to associate with whomever they please on their off-hours.

--

Scott and Cristy

Future Texans

event.png

Sounds like a good plan. Do allow... for 'eagerness' to take charge and you get out early!

We planned just like you did for years with a target date... but then hit a point in life when we just 'knew' it was time to go. So in the span of a few months, we went from 'nothing' to gone. The Plan enabled us to do that with a minimum of mistakes and aggravation. We love it!

Good luck,

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

We have taken a few short trips and now we are looking to hit the road for longer trips. I am having a problem with where to stay, my girl friend and I retired early so we wont hit the magic age of 55+ for about 15 yrs. We have been turned away from rv parks due to age, I don't like that and feel a bit angry.

I understand your frustration, but there are those who market their services to particular target groups and just as one of those markets is the family group (like the Jellystone parks) there are also those who target the retired set such as the parks you mention. My suggestion is that you use one of the better campground guides to select where you go as most of them will state if they are a 55+ park. While we have been past that age since we first went on the road, we have found that we don't spend much time in those parks anyway because they usually cost more due the the programed activities that they have and since we don't care for the "organized everything" type of parks we go other places. We do a lot of state parks and Corps of Engineer parks because they are more spacious and less organized. The majority of 55+ parks that we have been to have some type of activity almost all of the time and often larger ones will have more than one at the same time. When we first went to some of them, we found that those who were still in their 50's were the kids of the group and that we didn't really fit in all that well. I think that the average of those in most of those parks is probably around 70. I suspect that you will find better value for what you must pay in parks that are not part of the 55+ market group.

Archived