Healthcare for us under Medicare age...

CathyinMB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you said no coverage.

Actually, what I said was, "they will not cover pre-existing conditions medications for the first 12 months"

And that is accurate.

Again, I am not opposed to these programs as a whole...I think they are a creative (and arguably biblical) approach to paying for healthcare. But, they need to be understood fully before committing.

Kyle Henson, Fulltime RVer since 2011

Founder/Former Owner of  RVer Insurance Exchange

Thank you all for the helpful information. I was not even aware of anything other then the standard health insurance so I will definitely do some looking. I'll have insurance through August if I don't return to work. That is the BIG question!! As a school bus driver we are 38 days till summer break and at this point I'm thinking "man I can't do another year of this" so we will see. Again, thank you to all who takes the time to help us "newbies " out, it's much appreciated.

We feel even more fortunate to have a Employer provided BC/BS health care that we were able to carry into retirement our premiums, My Medicare and our portion of our BC/BS premium although over 5700.00 per year are very low in comparisons with others here. Our deductible is 350.00 per year per person but with Medicare zero. Out latest 2 days medical expense at a local hospital was 6,700.BC/DS fully covered less deductible.

The lessons to be learned here is to do the homework ask questions.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It's Silver TX PPO-04.

Thanks!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes we use the CVS minute clinics here in Florida for minor issues, cold, flu, shots, etc. They are great and fully covered by our BC/BS plan.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We get our prescriptions through XUBEX.COM a mail order pharmacy. The costs are normally $20 - $30 for 180 day supply. We do have Medicare but Xubex beats any prescription plan that we have found.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Medicare does not cover Drugs.

One last thing...what are your thoughts on the "Minute Clinics " that are popping up? Couldn't these be used instead of SnB doctors?

A great deal of the answer for doctor services depends upon your medical history. We found that for continuing medications for long term health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid, or any of the medical needs that are long term and just part of life, most of us need to have a primary care physician who we visit one or two times a year for an annual physical and renewal of these continuing medications. You can usually then get prescriptions for a 90 day supply that can be refilled three more times for a year's supply and then you see the issuing doctor as you pass that way. For things like a bout with the flue, sinus infection, or some medical need that crops up when traveling we did use that type of clinic, or what we call a "doc in a box" service, usually call an emergency medical service. We found that most of these are very good and provide you with a document that describes all of the treatment given which we then carry back to the primary care physician when we return for a visit. Even though we are now back to seasonal travel due to some health issues that are partly related in increasing age, we found that method to work very well for 12 years and we still do that sort of thing now that we travel seasonally, but Pam has some doctor needs which require semiannual visits now and at times more frequent than that so we are back to travel between appointments.

It is usually not practical to visit a different doctor for continuing medical needs like those mentioned at the first of this post because each doctor will usually want to make his own tests to determine what you need and to do his own diagnosis. We did on one occasion get Pam's prescriptions extended by using a doctor who cares for our son's family and he did some tests for her primary care doctor and sent the results so the primary care physician then extended her prescriptions for 6 months to allow us longer before our return to Texas.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Medicare does cover prescription drugs under the Medicare Part D program.

The OP did NOT say they had Part D. Medicare does not cover drugs. Part D does at a additional cost.

I'm many years away from Medicare so I will have to do some leg work on what the best insurance options will be for me. With South Carolina being our state of residence I'll have to see how that plays into the equation. I do appreciate all of the input that everyone has contributed.

We get our prescriptions through XUBEX.COM a mail order pharmacy. The costs are normally $20 - $30 for 180 day supply. We do have Medicare but Xubex beats any prescription plan that we have found.

All I can say is that you must be fortunate and not have any expensive name brand prescription such as Lantus which runs roughly $1k/mo for my wife. I just checked the Xubex website and they can't offer a discount on this drug which does not have a generic equivalent. There's no way that buying from Xubex without having a Part D plan would be affordable for us. The ~$32/mo we pay for our Part D plans is trivial compared to the savings we receive.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

All I can say is that you must be fortunate and not have any expensive name brand prescription such as Lantus which runs roughly $1k/mo for my wife. I just checked the Xubex website and they can't offer a discount on this drug which does not have a generic equivalent. There's no way that buying from Xubex without having a Part D plan would be affordable for us. The ~$32/mo we pay for our Part D plans is trivial compared to the savings we receive.

Yes we have been fortunate but our luck is running short. The cheapest Part D I could find was $50 each with a rather large deductible So the $1200 a year for both of us plus the deductibles and now the laws that we can only get 3 months refills on a controlled substance before seeing the doc again is getting rather spendy. In plain english the Drs and Pharmacys are milking the Americans dry.. And they wonder why we make an annual trek to Mexico... I actually got a notice after filing my taxes that I may be elgible for benefits due to my income !!! Now I understand why this country is broke !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

The cheapest Part D I could find was $50 each with a rather large deductible

I don't know what state you're a resident of, but we just went through a "lets change your healthplans" exercise when my former employer decided to end its retiree coverage, so we're current on all the Medicare supplement plans available in SD. We're both on a Part D through Cigna Healthspring that costs $32/mo and has no deductible.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Wow I like the no deductible part ! We are currently residents of AZ

SilverScript has a $0 deductible plan in AZ: SilverScript Choice...it's $18.70/mo. They offer this plan in most states, usually under $23/mo like in AZ.

Cigna does too: Cigna-HealthSpring Rx Secure-Xtra is $28.10/mo

I only take one $4 /month generic drug, so I was looking for the cheapest SD Part D just to avoid the future penalty. Humana has a SD plan linked to Walmart Pharmacies at only $15.70 /month. The copays are $1 for a month supply or $3 for 3 month supply, the deductible doesn't apply to Tier 1 & 2 drugs, otherwise its $320 /yr.

The cheapest Part D I could find was $50 each with a rather large deductible

Jim

I only take one $4 /month generic drug, so I was looking for the cheapest SD Part D just to avoid the future penalty. Humana has a SD plan linked to Walmart Pharmacies at only $15.70 /month. The copays are $1 for a month supply or $3 for 3 month supply, the deductible doesn't apply to Tier 1 & 2 drugs, otherwise its $320 /yr.

And you actually can use this one at other pharmacies too. You are not stuck having to use Walmart only.

And you actually can use this one at other pharmacies too. You are not stuck having to use Walmart only.

The Cigna Healthspring plans have Walgreens as a preferred pharmacy. I intentionally didn't consider any plan that required using Walmart pharmacies.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived