toilet exploding!

rebntx

The pedal on our toilet would not close the water supply and the toilet overflowed. Got a RV repair service out (after calling Thor to get approval) and they found a very small rubber o-ring with a crack in it. Replaced it and then the pedal would close off the water IF we lifted the pedal by hand. Called them back and they found a crack in the pedal and epoxed it and it works fine now. But here's the real issue: they charged me $400 for repairs. Criminal!

Now, however, when I flush the toilet it practically explodes in my face.

Is it filling up without my knowledge? Is there a chemical reaction that I don't know about? Any ideas?

Wow...for $400 you could have replaced that toilet.....one reason I do my own work.

On a side note I've never had a toilet explode at me although the reverse is true a few times....

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

OUCH! $400.00? Did they at least use a gun when you got robbed?

As for exploding at you, could you elucidate a bit? Is it "Exploding" from the drain? You may have a mound of paper under the down pipe, causing the black tank to gulp air, making it bubble(Sometimes violently) and burp. is it "Exploding" from the bowl jets? It could be there's too much water pressure....

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

Dump the black tank and see if flushing returns to normal. If it does you may have the air vent line dropping too far down into the tank and creating a bubble of trapped air. Dumping more often or having the pipe reset to the proper height are the two good options.

$400 sounds reasonable for two visits from a mobile repair operation, going into a repair shop would likely have cost a bit over $200 in comparison.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Got a RV repair service out (after calling Thor to get approval) and they found a very small rubber o-ring with a crack in it. Replaced it and then the pedal would close off the water IF we lifted the pedal by hand. Called them back and they found a crack in the pedal and epoxed it and it works fine now. But here's the real issue: they charged me $400 for repairs.

Does getting Thor's approval mean that they will reimburse you the cost of service, or.......... ? Was this a warranty issue?

Dump the black tank and see if flushing returns to normal. If it does you may have the air vent line dropping too far down into the tank and creating a bubble of trapped air. Dumping more often or having the pipe reset to the proper height are the two good options.

$400 sounds reasonable for two visits from a mobile repair operation, going into a repair shop would likely have cost a bit over $200 in comparison.

I am thinking along those same lines. From what you say I'd guess that you mean there is a pressure inside of the tank. You can check this also by holding the flush valve open for 20/30 seconds before closing and then wait a few minutes and flush again. If this is a pressure buildup due to a covered vent line from the tank, leaving the flush valve open a bit should vent off any pressure, but in hot weather it could easily build up again as ambient temperatures rise outside. It's difficult to be sure just what it is that you are experiencing.

On the $400, if that is two bills of $200 each or something of that sort, I'd say that it may be a little high but not a great deal. As Stanley has said, there is a call out charge for a mobile tech each trip as well as his labor charges. He should disclose his prices at the time he is called, but may not do so. The last time that I used a mobile RV service there was a call out charge as well as a 1 hour minimum service charge but I was made aware of both before he came out as well as how much the minimum cost would be.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The pedal on our toilet would not close the water supply and the toilet overflowed. Got a RV repair service out (after calling Thor to get approval) and they found a very small rubber o-ring with a crack in it. Replaced it and then the pedal would close off the water IF we lifted the pedal by hand. Called them back and they found a crack in the pedal and epoxed it and it works fine now. But here's the real issue: they charged me $400 for repairs. Criminal!

Now, however, when I flush the toilet it practically explodes in my face.

Is it filling up without my knowledge? Is there a chemical reaction that I don't know about? Any ideas?

Seems to me that the repair guy didn't fix the toilet right the first time .

I'd think they should have at least cut the second bill in half or more .

Personally , I think 'you got took' .

400 bucks for 104 dollar repair is a pretty good profit .

But , it could be that I'm still living back when ...

My wife says I'd die from sticker shock if I ever went into a grocery store . :(

Goes around , comes around .

Pricing from dealers is attrocious. We are buying a new motor home and asked the dealer for pricing on 6 items. Normally we would do them ourselves but we were lazy. After the pricing came back we are going to do them ourselves.............. An example is to put in a folding door assist handle($35 Amazon) they wanted $150. 4 screws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, repairs are expensive. Labor charges that I see at RV repair places, auto repairs places, etc are around $120/hour. I would guess plumbers coming to your house to repair a leaky kitchen/bathroom faucet would charge about the same.

Keep in mind whatever business you deal with needs to make enough to live on and cover their overhead. After all even as retired folks or working folks living in RV's, it costs us $30K to $60K a year to live. Translate that into hourly labor plus overhead and you are not going to be able to live on $40 an hour labor charge.

I don't begrudge how much hourly labor the folks who repair the stuff I don't want to do, or can't do, as long as they do a good repair, stand behind the repair, and don't start telling me about all the other stuff that NEEDS to be fixed, when I know that, that particular item doesn't need to be fixed/replaced. Yes, my brakes have 50,000 miles on them, but there is still is another 50,000 miles of brake pad material on them so they don't need to replaced right now. I can wait another couple of years. No, I don't need the fuel injector cleaner service done for $150-$200. The car/truck is running just fine.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived