USB Type C info

skp51443

I got an e-mail today that had a link to the monoprice.com USB type C page, worth reading for a brief introduction to what the Type C is bringing to new computers and devices in the near future.

http://www.monoprice.com/pages/usb_31_type_c

They are a good place to shop for many types of cables, connectors and other stuff too, good prices, great quality and ship fast with no hassles.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Thanks,

Great info. The FAQs, including the 3 years to full integration for all devices prediction, seems accurate based on what we are seeing already with Apple being first to implement. Their thunderbolt was a dud adoption wise. Inhale a thunderbolt port on my desktop but no way I would pay the price for the few devices that use it. The USB C however, solves the problem with folks forcing upside down connectors and breaking them.

I foresee manufacturers going to them as soon as possible and providing an adapter with their computers. HP did that with their computers that only had DVI video connections on the mobo. They came with DVI to VGA adapter plugs. The transition can be that easy.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Still using USB 1, USB-mini and USB-micro, and USB-micro 3 cables.

A new standard may come out but devices don't age out as fast.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The USB C however, solves the problem with folks forcing upside down connectors and breaking them.

Determining whether a USB socket is "curved side up" or "down" is impossible without my glasses on! :D

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Old USB version devices are going to be with us for a long time, even still being sold although it has been a while since I ran across a USB v1 device being sold. I have a couple USB v1 devices that will probably be in use until I die since they do the job I need done and are paid for.

The speeds of these new connections are going to be a big selling point to device makers, just being able to dump the eSATA ports is going to bring a lot of smiles.

Thank you Stan for the information you posted.

Now with that being said, I am not a " computer nerd " ( I don't mean to insult anyone, just don't know the right term ). What am I suposed to learn from this other than " they " are changing the standards by which everything will be connected to new computers and electronic devices. It only confuses me more with regards to what connector can I use to connect to my 2011 computer. Now I will need to know what kind I have and what will fit if it is too small I will need to buy an adapter which will probably not allow for the 100 watts for me use and it still won't work.

I guess the solution for us illiterates is to throw everything away and start over everything they change the " standards ".

Forgive my rant this is just my humble opinion.

Jeanie and John

Ford F-250 super crew

Americana 34/35 GS (it's a Forest River Cardinal with extras)

I use Magic Marker on the top (narrow) side of the USB-micro plugs. The phones and Kindles have a natural way you hold them when you plugging in, marked side up.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Don't worry folks the new standards are going to be like the USB 3 ports I bet, or eSATA for that matter although it dropped three years ago or so too. Remember they had one or two USB 2 ports only, and one combo eSATA or USB 3 port so they were kind of universal. The Windows folks will not leave you with one connector for all like Apple just did with their first implementation of USB C. I bet that devices will have a USB 3 that's backwards compatible, as well as separate USB C ports. Adapters would be straight forward.

Mark, we mark all of ours with silver sharpies too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Jean, It does get confusing but they really need to make the changes to allow newer stuff to work or existing stuff to work faster. A couple adapters and you'll be fine hooking new stuff to your old computer.

Archived