Jack Pads

Red Crewzer

Does everyone use jack pads? Had 2 separate units come into our camp and both got out and put wood blocks under their jacks. Both of them actually had to put blocks under wheels. Both sites are fairly level. I have seen others use the same sites and had no problems. Two different brands of coaches. Curious. We are thinking about switching from a fifth wheel to class A.

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

When we stop for a while I usually use them. When in transit I use them if the site is grassy or looks soft. I use pads that truckers use when they drop the trailer landing gear on pavement. I had a trucker friend give me a set of four. They are fairly light, maybe 1 1/2 inch thick and stack so they store nicely.

I put the thin flexible cutting boards under the tires when parked for a while. Some people don't, but the Michelin RV Tire Guide recommends it so I do it.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

We use jack pads especially when we park for the winter. With out them the foot plates of the jacks will often leave ugly and difficult to remove rust stains on the concrete. DICA makes some very good commercial grade jack pads and you can also make some good ones from a horse stall pad from Tractor Supply Company. That pad is big enough to make pads for several rigs. Our rig is so heavy that we use the pads all the time to minimize the foot plate from sinking into soft terrain. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Even tough we have a Big Foot leveling system with big foot pads, we use heavy duty poly pads under the feet all the time. On concrete, on gravel, on dirt. A lot cleaner if we end up with mud.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Even tough we have a Big Foot leveling system with big foot pads, we use heavy duty poly pads under the feet all the time.

I too had Big Foot system with larger footpads, but usually also used a larger pad of my own manufacture. It helps to prevent sinking when dirt is soft and sometimes there is asphalt paving that is soft enough that pads will sink into it and leave marks. I am particularly careful with asphalt.

As to blocks under the tires, I only use them for tire leveling if the site is so far off that a tire might be lifted clear of the ground. I do put something under the tires when we stop for a week or longer to isolate the tires from moisture and from the chemical damage that can come from damp concrete.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I only use my hydraulic levelers if I need to level the rig. If the site is level I dont put them down...no need. I just dump the air and let the rig settle down onto the frame and call it good. i do carry jack pads and use them when the ground is soft but I dont use them on hard ground.

I never put anything under the tires....I dont consider that necessary. Tires will age out long before they are damaged by the ground IMHO.?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived