Hello everybody, new to rv'ing and going to be asking advice.

twrtoad

Hello all,

Like the title says me and the wife are new to Rv'ing and am eventually looking to going full time. About all that I know so far is me and the wife have decided that we like the 5th wheel model. Ido not own a rig yet to pull one and from my research people are saying the best thing to get is an class 8 HDT truck. I have just been snooping and found they are not actually priced to bad. I am excited that i got turned on to this web site and have been reading through all the articles. I am not to worried about the driving part as i have plenty of experience driving larger vehicles. Drove large trucks and busses in the military and have experience with other large vehicles as well. There are still plenty of things I do not know though and I am sure as time goes on I will be asking plenty of questions and hopefully not bugging you all to much. I just want to make sure I got all my ducks in a row and dont want to invest this kind of money blindly. I know there are always risks when venturing out on something new but i want to try and minimize those risks by asking questions and learning a everything i possible can in advance.

Thank you all

Jim

Welcome to the forum! I also am planning on full timing soon and have been learning/going to school on this site for about two years. I would encourage you to explore all the different forums (there are tons) and posts by folks that have been doing it for a long time. I have learned so much...and I actually thought I knew a little bit when I started...as my father used to say "son, you aint got to first base yet"!!! It has been a blast learning and reading all the personal blogs...good luck in the future and don't be shy about asking questions!! The folks here will help you any way they can!

Welcome to the forum. You seem to be going about your education in RV'ing the right way. Take your time and ask a lot of questions.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Welcome to the forums! It is always great to have new folks join in. Remember that all of us were new once also and much of what we know was taught to us by those who went before us so sharing our experiences with you is just part of the lifestyle. We do enjoy helping others to find the way and to perhaps prevent some heartaches and save you a few bucks!

Thanks for giving us the chance to be part of your RVing experience!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the forums. If you are considering an HDT to tow with may I suggest if at all possible to attend one of the HDT rallies. The East Coast Rally is coming up soon and is in TN this year I think. A quick search of the forum will find a link(I'm technically challenged or I would give it to you) and the national rally is in Hutchinson KS every year. You don't have to own an HDT or even a rig to attend. There will be lots of rigs to look at and many people willing to share their knowledge about them. well worth the trip and could possibly save you a lot of money from errors. Many of the HDT owners on this forum attend the rallies and are very knowledgeable. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

First you must change your name as there is getting to be far too many Jims and I think I was here first. :D Seriously welcome on board. Starting to learn early on the forum is far superior to the way I did it so congratulations on already using goodjudgement.

grumpydoc's suggestion of the HDT get together in Tn is good but I'm guessing since your are showing to be from OR it might be a little far but hopefully you will turn up one nearer or more convienent unless you just want to see TN which isn't a bad idea. Just remember that Elvis' home is way in the west and the Great Smokey MTN National Park is way on the ea

Thanks everybody and welcome for the warm welcome,

I think it would be great to go to a rally if there was one just a bit closer. Right now i am actually just a bit over whelmed as there seems to be so much information available. ATM i am currently researching what i will have to do to get one registered in oregon as an RV or MH this way i do not have to get a CDL. Another thing i have been considering is most that I have seen that actually have living quaters with a bunk have dual axles in the rear, Is it possible to simply remove 1 of the axles.

So much to learn, and it seems like so little time, lol. In all reality I got plenty of time while i research this.

Jim

Time spent in research and education is going to be time well spent. It is never wise to rush into major life changes. I'd suggest that in your research you might find that the links in signatures here will take you to a lot of interesting and helpful information. Spend a little time checking those out.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

twrtoad,

Although many of us who drive HDT trucks read and participate on other forums, reading the HDT forum and asking questions there may be more productive.

I do have to say that an HDT is not necessarily the only way to tow a 5th wheel. Much of your decision about what to tow it with depends upon the size/weight of your 5th wheel, and even then, there are other alternatives. However, you'll notice by reading my signature that we put ours with an HDT.

As far as closer rallies, there is going to be a West Coast Rally.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

Archived