Is Corian worth it

alan0043

How would you cut silicone it if it is under the back edged of the counter against the wall, or up against a pantry gable? Think about it, you can't. That works ok of it is the front edge, maybe...You have to be able to feed the piano wire thru somehow. How would you do that? Cabinet doors are small, access is limited, middle shelves are fixed not adjustable. I am 173 lbs and doubt I could twist myself into the back of the corner cabinet which has an underhung bowl. This is why the tops come out in pieces. One Corian fabricator spent 5 hrs trying to remove a top and could not and he was a pro.

This is like people saying they would escape a fire by climbing out a small window....really? That would be like extracting a Botfly. I've had to get in through small basement windows in a below ground window well and that was tuff 15 yrs ago. Let alone now.

Up 'till now, I would have said best to smash them up and take out small pieces. This is what we have done when removing a vinyl floor on plywood subfloor. Now, in thinking about this further, I would say a Multitool could work, Fein, Bosch, etc.

So add use of Multitool to my previous post.

You are up late Stan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With piano wire you can often force it through the silicone, it is very stiff, sure it won't go everywhere but the more you can do the less you'll have to cut or hammer out.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Roger, the multitool does work well.But it needs careful use or it will destroy the cabinets.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jim,

Looks like the color could be Granola, if that is the case it is still available. Prepping and accessibility would be the issues. Having the top out and access to all sides and top and bottom would be a help. As with most other things, the prep work is the most important part.

Jack, I hear you on the Multitool, I've only used one to cut shims behind lowers to the wall as well as some floor trim. There is a big choice in cutters. The blade moves side to side so if it were pushed straight in to a stop I think it would work. Seems this top has 3/4" buildup which mine doesn't.

Multitools and lasers are the rage these days.

It wouldn't be an easy job.

Hi Guys,

I am back home from the east coast rally. I plan on calling a local place to see what they think. The name is Tower Industries. They install solid surface counter tops. I need to do a few things first at home. It might be a couple of weeks before I post an answer.

Thank You to Jim for his help.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived