2005 Safari Simba 37' w/8.1 gas - mpg?

marvmarcy

Most gas chassis motorhomes today get similar mileage depending more upon how they are driven than which of the two possible engies you happen to have.(Ford V-10 or GM-Vortec) The speed at which they are driven and driving habits. In most cases they do best at speeds on the order of 55/60 mph and drop about 10% for each 5 mph above that. I haven't any experience with the particular RV in question, but suspect that you will probably see somewhere between 7 & 9 mpg, depending upon your driving habits. I also found that it is very difficult to get an accurate mileage from an individual tank of fuel as the large tanks in class A rigs are very dependent upon the degree of leveling when the tank is filled before and after. I got to where I made it a habit to record mileage & gallons at each fill and then use the most recent 5 tanks to figure it out. Gentle starts and anticipating stops to allow coasting ill help.

• 1 month later...

We have a 2007 Safari Simba with front end diesel. Just did the math this morning on our fuel for the last 9 months of full timing on the road. We have traveled 6,455 miles, used 867 gals of fuel for a MPG of about 7.4 miles per gallon. Now some of that time was with a generator running. Our MPG ranged from 6.88 to 10.06. Travel was from PA to SD and back then down to FL and back.

Fuel prices range from $3.82 cents last year to $2.55 cents in the beginning of April 2015.

Our 36ft. gas MH gets 7-9 mpg. consistently. Once with a strong tail wind got 10mpg! Once with hills & head winds got 6 mpg. Generally I figure 7-8 is pretty much routine mileage. We do drive at apprx 57mph. most of the time. Anything over that costs us mpg. Dave.

I did an experiment once when driving on the interstate with my car. At 60mph every car was passing me. I sped up to 70mph and still numerous cars passing me. Then I sped up to 80mph and there were still cars that passed me! Finally I put it at 85mph and believe it or not, I still got passed. From that experiment I realized that no matter how fast you go there is always someone going faster. I guess you don't see the slower ones because they travel at your speed & never pass. I'm OK with watching all the passers go by because it will continue at any speed. The quantity of passers may reduce at higher speeds but no matter how fast you go, they will still be there passing you. Besides, it's fun watching all the different rigs go by! Dave.

I generally tuck in with the trucks and do the truck speed limit. A motor home makes this less stressful because of the visibility. All the cars pass us and some of the trucks. A bunch of the motor homes, travel trailers and virtually all the 5ers pass us, too. In the mountains I generally pass the trucks except for the ones running light.

22,500 GVW pulling a 2-door soft-top (light) Jeep Wrangler at 60mph and I got 10.4mpg over 2,000 miles on our trip to the SKP Park Sierra (27 miles from Yosemite's south entrance) last winter (starting from central WA). About half the trip in the mountains.

But our motor home is not a flat-nosed bus type, more bull-nosed, rounded edges and only 8' (not 8'6") wide. Engine is a Cummins 5.9L diesel, transmission is 4-speed Allison 643. We also have the Banks Stinger package and a Pacbrake exhaust brake.

WDR

Archived