Reefer Madness

Ours had two fans in back for circulation and they could come on anytime.

OK I see. We also have a couple of cooling fans but they are silent, or at least I can't hear them with my somewhat compromised hearing. Thanks.

The rear cooling fan my Dometic came with sounded like a vacuum cleaner. It was so loud it would wake me up at night when it kicked on. I replaced it with a pair of 3 speed 120mm computer fans that move more air than the single stock fan (on medium) and you can barely hear them on high. On medium they are completely silent inside. If I had it to do over I'd get a couple low speed 160mm fans that would move even more air silently. A word of warning though, don't use rubber mounted fans. I put in pair of high-tech, magnetic bearing, rubber mounted fans that only lasted 2 years before the mounting rubbers decomposed and failed. My second set of conventional ANTEC fans, while slightly noisier, are 7 years old and are still going strong.

Chip

After 14 years of service we decided to replaced our old Norcold refrigerator with a new residential type refrigerator. I spent a great deal of time researching various options and decided to go to Vina, AL and have Brannon Hutchinson of Custom RV do the work. This turned out to be a great solution for the replacement. In addition to the refrigerator, he also replaced the inverter and added a Progressive EMS system. Brannon gave me a quote over the phone and scheduled time for the work. We arrived the day before installation and hooked up to 50 amp service in the parking lot. Work begin promptly at 7:00 AM and we rolled out of the shop at about 4:00 PM. If you are considering this type of upgrade to your coach, I recommend, without reservation, Custom RV.

I'm a pretty fair hand at a lot of things. When I need information on how to do something I ask a metric ton of questions of as many people who know the subject and go over a procedure with the wife until we both have our roles down pat.

Back in the late 80's I was a cabinet maker by trade. I have a set of strong young men (One is our youngest son, the other is one of our "Un-sons") to do the heavy lifting, a friend is coming out to take care of the gas line and electrical issues, in exchange for a roll of linoleum, and my assistance installing it. I think we have this one nailed down....

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

• 2 weeks later...

Wife decided she wants the reefer to be on it's own inverter, so we ordered a new 600 watt pure sine inverter. should be here in a few days... stay tuned....

Which fridge did you finally go with?? The reason I as is I just purchased the Whirlpool WRT111 something something something and am going to install an inverter and 2 6 volt batteries to run it. (Only when traveling....not going to boondock). Only the fridge will be on the inverter. I am currently debating on the size of the inverter. Going to go with the Xantrex Prowatt 1000 just not sure about when the fridge starts up. I noticed you were going with the 600 watt. Just trying to get as much info as I can.

Thanks,

Steve

2007 Pilgrim M378 SA4S-5

e9132d54-0b3a-4ebb-ae60-dd6b6d56e047_zps

I was wondering the same about invertor size for start up amp draw. I have been getting by on a dorn style I bought for $75. I thought of running on my solar so I checked the running amps which were well within the parameters of my solar. The problem was the start up amps based on what I owned or was willing to spend at this time.

I have a Samlex 600 watt PSW inverter for my fridge and have not had any issues with start up. It has a 1,000 watt surge capacity and is rated for 600 watts continuous duty. The max wattage draw for my Samsung RF 197 is 468 watts and that would be both cooling units on, defrost cycle running and the ice maker ejecting cubes. Otherwise if one cooling unit kicks on, the most common, the unit only draws 125 watts. BTW, it's also very quiet and the most noise it makes is when the ejected ice cubes hit the bin.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Archived