AAA - Good Sam or Both?

taketimeforlife

I officially begin my FT RV Journey next Friday and want to be as prepared as possible but sometimes "stuff happens". So I've been looking into both AAA and Good Sam. Is one more suitable for FT RVing over the other? Would having both be overkill?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

http://www.taketimeforlife.com

"The Best Gift We Can Give Our Children is Our Time"

AAA is not really suitable for RVs. Yes, in *some* areas they offer coverage for RVs, but if you read the fine print, you'll notice that it is not offered everywhere. So if you have a breakdown in an area where AAA doesn't offer their RV roadside service, you'll be on your own finding help and then trying to get reimbursement for your out-of-pocket expenses from AAA.

I would stick with Good Sam's ERS or CoachNet's. Your RV insurance will probably offer roadside service, too, but check to see if they have a mileage limit above which you'll have to pay. Also check on WHERE they'll take your rig.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Linda, is correct about Good Sams or Coachnet. AAA is a good service in its own way but to my knowledge doesn't work well with RV's due to limitations. The same holds true to my knowledge of other choices like through your regular insurance co. or one that was available as an add on to a former cell phone service for instantance. It doesn't hurt to look at other as sometimes things change and we are not all aware of it so checking with others to verify like you have done here is great. My experience is with Coach Net so I lean that way but have heard good and bad about the Good Sam's the same as Coach Net. I like to warn folks that it may not always go as seemlessly as it should or as quick but stay calm and civil though insistant and the outcome will likely be positive and that is what you want. I have had one semi-major tow, one major tow, and one lockout over many years. One of the factors in the outcome is where you are physically located when you need the help. Last year I could have and would have used them for a blowout on my TT but chose to change it myself to get out of the location faster than waiting for the help.

I have only ever heard of this once years ago but a fellow I know was denied renewal on his because he had used the service so much. I wish I had the details. They did continue to service him for the remainder of the contract which I would imangine was one year.

CoachNet is great, runs their own ERS, through parent company, National Motor Club . Good Sam was reselling Allstate's ERS the last I knew. AAA nationally is an association of different state AAA groups, some do RV's, some don't. So if your home state sells RV coverage, you may not get service elsewhere, if you break down.

Teacher's Pet

'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.

'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=3912

AAA does not cover everywhere.GS and Coach net are good .We had Coach net and dropped them because of continued poor service. We now have G.S

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have had both Good Sam's ERS and Coach Net and while both work, we have had much better service from Coach Net and they are Escapee endorsed. They also have an Escapee discount.

X4. Coachnet responded quickly when we had a start problem. Mechanic arrived within an hour. They kept in constant contact with us via phone with updates. MUCH better than the service we had from Allstate.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We've had both Good Sam and CoachNet. We've had tows with both, and both went smoothly. We had a tire change with Good Sam when we were caught without a spare (long story) out in the middle of nowhere Texas on a Sunday afternoon. Surprisingly, they were able to find a place still open so we didn't have to spend the night along side the road!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thanks so much to everyone for your feedback! After a lot of research, reading and feedback, I've decided to go with Coach Net. I signed up online, got my member ID in less than a minute, downloaded the app. and coverage goes into effect tomorrow...the same day I pick up my RV. Smooth so far...now the fun really begins :D

Dan

http://www.taketimeforlife.com

"The Best Gift We Can Give Our Children is Our Time"

Thanks so much to everyone for your feedback! After a lot of research, reading and feedback, I've decided to go with Coach Net.

If your experience is at all like mine, you will not regret your choice! Keep us posted on your progress.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good choice on Coach Net. There is no perfect choice 100% of the time, but they have the best rep.

We had AAA for over 20 years before we started RVing. I had one absolutely horrible experience and we dropped them and switched to Coach Net.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

Does it do anything for your tow vehicle? Or, should you keep AAA for the vehicle?

To answer from the list of benefits page of the Coach Net website...........

All-Inclusive Coverage BLANK_bluegreen.pngBLANK_bluegreen.pngchecks_bluegreen.png
Coverage includes Member, spouse and dependent children ages 24 and under, for one

RV and all other personal vehicles owned, rented, borrowed or leased.

One other thing that I noticed in reading through the benefits which I don't think that many of their customers realize is that they now also include medical assistance, via Assist America Services which provides much of what many members pay other companies to provide.

Not discounting RBH's suggestion but to be cautious make sure you understand what you insurance company roadside ins. will cover and the distances they will tow. Often that is the real kicker to watch for. Assuming the Blue Sky will cover pretty equally I would say that is good as it is another option.

Just read the link Kirk referred to in post #20 and was slightly surprised as I am a Coach Net member. I may have to read some of the literature I get from them better. I will be looking into this because it may depend on the level of service you have signed up for and I have the basic. It looks really good. For the service advertised in the link it could be worth bumping up to a higher plan.

We have been very happy with Coach net. Have had to use them several times and never a disappointment. Would not be without them. But, get some kind of a service.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Not discounting RBH's suggestion but to be cautious make sure you understand what you insurance company roadside ins. will cover and the distances they will tow.

There are usually significant differences between what is offered with nearly all vehicle insurance policies in most cases. A limit of either miles towed or of dollars of expense as a limit to the tow bill. But that is only a part of the difference. Coach Net also has RV techs on the phone who will assist you if needed to solve a problem with an appliance or similar situation, and for a long list of other things which usually are not covered by the towing clause of most vehicle policies.

In our case we have used the towing service only once in all of our time paying for road service and that one time involve what would have been a total bill of about $1600, because it took nearly 8 hours from portal to portal for the driver because we were a long way from the nearest service. Other than that, we have used our road service for a jump-start on two or three occasions, at least one out of fuel call, and one lock-out call that I can remember. Be sure that what ever you choose to buy has the coverage that you desire and as you compare prices make sure that you also compare what services are offered for each price.

Archived