Then (1916) and Now(2015) - How Trailers have changed

Jack Mayer

1916 - One of the first trailers, pulled by a Model T. (Photo taken at the Elkhart, IN RV Museum)

20150331_132916.jpg

2015 - Our 2015 New Horizons pulled by a 2009 Volvo 780. A slight difference in comfort levels. But probably no difference in the fun to be had!

20141213_123404.jpg

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Whoa! Thanks Jack, great perspective photos. The trailer on the 1913 model T looks very impressive from what little I can see of the cabinets.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Both trailers have the same view when at the same site, BUT your has just a little bit more comfort. :)

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

In another 50 years those two rigs will be on display and our grand-kids will say......."Wow imagine how tough those "old-fo;ks" were...... now with our solar-inflate-a-condo and our wrist-fuel-cell we have camp set in 15 seconds....."

How did those "old folks" keep air in all those tires?? (if they only knew).....

Cheerz......"old folks"

Dollytrolley

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

In another 50 years those two rigs will be on display and our grand-kids will say......."Wow imagine how tough those "old-fo;ks" were...... now with our solar-inflate-a-condo and our wrist-fuel-cell we have camp set in 15 seconds....."

How did those "old folks" keep air in all those tires?? (if they only knew).....

Cheerz......"old folks"

Dollytrolley

Cheerz......"old folks"

Dollytrolley

In another 50 years folks will be 'camping' on places like a moon the other side of Bungula .

Goes around , comes around .

There was a discussion in the WSJ about how the development and use of carbon fuels has allowed society to advance. Studebaker finally stopped building horse drawn equipment in 1920. That Model T and trailer aren't too far removed from that.

Did that museum last year, will do it again this year, great accessible artifacts of our little lifestyle. Goop pics.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I'm not quite old enough to have had one of those, however, I still miss my smaller travel trailers in many ways.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Here is a link to a college paper my mother wrote in 1938, about house trailers. The PDF is about 40 MB, so be warned this is a fairly large download. The original paper has been scanned, and OCR didn't work well because of the light typing, so the pages are all images.

http://www.ximetrics.com/Volvo/Maxines%20trailer%20paper%20from%20college.pdf

Pete

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Both trailers still have an incredible amount of storage and are very clever about building them in. I would say the 1915 travellers enjoyed campfires as much as we do today. Depending on where they camped, we're probably seeing some of the same terrain....just a little more comfort.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Here is a link to a college paper my mother wrote in 1938, about house trailers. The PDF is about 40 MB, so be warned this is a fairly large download. The original paper has been scanned, and OCR didn't work well because of the light typing, so the pages are all images.

File not found (404 error)

:(

Goes around , comes around .

Sorry there was an apostrophe in the filename, which apparently HTML doesn't care for. I fixed it and now the file can be downloaded.

Pete

2007 NuWa Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

2000 Volvo VNL64T770 with TrailerSaver hitch, wooden flat bed, Detroit 12.7L S60, 10-sp AutoShift, still tandem

Archived