Wheel torque spec needed

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I need to remove the wheel from my trailer for some maintenance work. I needed to know the torque spec to reinstall the lug nuts. The wheels are 16" aluminum. How many times to you re-torque the wheels ? After 100 mile or so, do you re-torque ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al the torque will depend on the size of the stud. After I've had a wheel off I usually check at about 50 miles, then at the next stop. If the torque is correct at the second stop I don't check it again.

I do not know the size of the studs. The wheels are held on with 8 studs and lug nuts. I hope this helps.

Al

They will probably be 9/16 studs.

With aluminum wheels torque to 110lbs. I do mine in 2 rounds, first to 100. then 110.

Drive 15 miles or so, RETORQUE

Drive another 50miles- RETORQUE

Then you should be good until the wheel is removed again. But every time we move, I check the lugs, stuff happens, kids play, people get jealous, whatever the reason.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Actually for tapered nuts, the retorquing after moving a bit should continue until the torque wrench clicks (or registers the torque) without the nut turning.

The nuts are settling into the tapered seats.

Flat faced nuts (5/8") should be done the first time around.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Not to be contrary, Jim, but the most common torque value that I'm familiar with for aluminum wheels on 9/16" lugs with tapered seat nuts is 140 ft/lb., not 110. You may be a tad light.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

My 16 inch 8 lug aluminum wheels have 1/2" studs and the torque value is 110 lbs.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Not to be contrary, Jim, but the most common torque value that I'm familiar with for aluminum wheels on 9/16" lugs with tapered seat nuts is 140 ft/lb., not 110. You may be a tad light.

Quite ok,

I'm just going by the yellow tag on the fender well.

I'm not sure that a chinese aluminum rim could stand that much pressure at 140ft/lb though.... :ph34r:

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Per our friends at Trailer Tire and Wheel

1/2" studs - 100 lf/lbs

9/16" studs - 120 ft/lbs on 16" wheel

9/16" studs - 150 fl/lbs on 17.5 wheels

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I'm not sure that a chinese aluminum rim could stand that much pressure at 140ft/lb though.... :ph34r:

My Chinese wheels have been handling the 140 ft/lb just fine since I upgraded to the 17.5s back in 2009, but now Ray's information calls the 140 ft/lb setting into question, too. Maybe I'm also a tad light.

On the other hand, I've always wondered what the true torque spec should be for the Hi-Spec wheels (mine didn't come with any documentation stipulating a lug nut torque spec for the new wheels, so I went with the 140 ft/lb that GM always stipulated for aluminum wheels on 9/16" studs with taper seat nuts) because they're aluminum, but they do have a (presumably stainless) steel insert into which the lug nut seats. Perhaps they require less torque than a bare aluminum seat would require.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I want to thank everyone for their help. I have some good info to work with. Now I need to pull the wheels off and re-pack the wheel bearings.

Thanks for the help guys,

Al

We recheck our torque before each trip as part of our pre-trip inspection. Prior to doing that, we lost a whole tire and wheel assembly along with 6 studs and lug nuts on trip and with a triple axle trailer we never noticed it till we got up the next morning after we got to our campsite late at night. Ours are torqued to 100 but we have the 1/2" studs.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Dexter Axel specs the final torque on their 17.5" cone lug nuts at 190-210 ft pounds. This torque is reached in three stages. See their manual. Sorry I don't have an URL, this is from their published manual. The flange nuts are even higher.

I don't remember the spec for the 16" wheel and I don't have the manual handy just now. Will get the info tomorrow when I am back in my shop.

Roger and Barbara

On the pale blue planet, retired and happy.

2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3

2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW

Dexter Axel specs the final torque on their 17.5" cone lug nuts at 190-210 ft pounds. This torque is reached in three stages. See their manual. Sorry I don't have an URL, this is from their published manual. The flange nuts are even higher.

I don't remember the spec for the 16" wheel and I don't have the manual handy just now. Will get the info tomorrow when I am back in my shop.

This is only true is using Dexter's wheels produced prior to June 2004. Dexter no longer produces wheels and states " to contact the wheel manufacturer for the correct torque requirement"

The document further down states that the max torque for Dexter studs is 120 ft/lbs for 1/2", 170 ft/lbs for 9/16" and 325 ft/lbs for 5/8"

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Archived