Trav'ler - How high of winds are safe?

It also depends on the quality of the installation and the surface the dish is mounted on. Personally, I would not want to test the integrity of the dish or the RV roof in high winds. It is very easy to stow the dish in high winds, and to re-deploy it when the wind subsides.

It also depends on the quality of the installation and the surface the dish is mounted on. Personally, I would not want to test the integrity of the dish or the RV roof in high winds. It is very easy to stow the dish in high winds, and to re-deploy it when the wind subsides.

I agree with this. If we are someplace that is going to experience very high winds - say over 35 mph - then we stow the dish. No sense tempting fate. We then watch recorded shows.

Appreciate all the info sharing on wind speeds. We walked the park, and saw several rigs that had their dishes up. Talked with a few, and they said this was considered a 'breeze', not a wind:)! That being said, we did put ours down when we were gone during the day and overnight. We're at Santa Fe Skies RV Park. We were down in a gully for the first few days, but then moved to the crest of a ridge. The park owner, nice lady and her son too, both said that the gusts were measured at over 55MPH, and had steady from 35-40MPH for a good period of time.

I also called WineGard, and the Tech Support gent suggested steady to 35MPH was fine, but cautioned that gusts could (Linda, he mentioned the direction of the dish in relation to the wind) put undue stress on the gears.

I mentioned I talked to a few owners here. One gent said he had kept his dish up in gusts up to 75MPH while in Montana. Was watching a NFL Playoff game, and he figured he'd chance it - and was willing to repair or replace so as not to miss the game:)! Oh, he said he knows of no problem or damage from having done this...

Best to all,

Smitty

Archived